Am I in the right place?

New? Introduce yourself here.
lofuji
About me: habitual drunkard, cannabis connoisseur; no wonder I never get anything done.

Am I in the right place?

Post by lofuji » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:08 am

Yesterday, two years after someone invited me to join Google+, I decided to check it out, and among the people that the site thought I might "know" were two names I recognized, Rum and Bella Fortuna. Ah! I thought. I used to be a fairly frequent flyer here at Ratz, but the last couple of years have been traumatic, to say the least, and (I hate to admit it) I kind of forgot about Ratz. Last year was the worst: I fractured my patella in a cycling accident on the last day of 2011, and although by May I thought I was well on the way to recovery, thanks to lots of cycling, the weather was horrible in the UK in June, and walking was painful. So was sleeping, and for months the best I could manage was 15 minutes at a stretch. Back in Hong Kong, and back cycling, I'm now sleeping properly again.

In fact, for three consecutive Decembers I've crashed my bike, requiring a 999 call to be made each time. The first time, I hit my head so hard on the concrete that I'm convinced I'd have been killed if I hadn't been wearing a helmet. Although I was able to ride the 20km or so home after treatment by paramedics, I was so shook up mentally by that accident that I couldn't write anything for my blog for several months. The last time, in December last year, I escaped with a black eye and severe abrasions that took several weeks to heal, but no psychological damage this time, and I was able to keep posting on my blog, which has become very important to me. However, I might refrain from cycling this coming December.

There has been one silver lining though. I was awarded a ridiculous wodge of cash by HK's Road Traffic Accident Victims Assistance Fund for the second accident, even though it was my own fault! Anyway, here I am. I'll try not to disappear again, but given the way I ride, I can't make any promises.

Meanwhile, I would encourage everyone to at least take a look at my blog. I've written a few essays of which I'm quite proud, and if anyone asks, this is what I think is my best effort to date: Explanations. It should answer all your questions.
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out brief candle
Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing. [
Macbeth]

It am wicked to mock the afflicted. [
BH (Calcutta), failed]

Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope. [
Freewheelin' Franklin]

personal blog:
the view from fanling [stories about Hong Kong and any other shite I can think up]

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Re: Am I in the right place?

Post by Bella Fortuna » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:12 am

Hello again, lofuji! :cheers:

So glad to see you back here, but I'm sorry to hear about the awful accidents!
Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

hadespussercats
I've come for your pants.
About me: Looks pretty good, coming out of the back of his neck like that.

Post by hadespussercats » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:14 am

Nice to meet you, lofuji!
The green careening planet
spins blindly in the dark
so close to annihilation.

Listen. No one listens. Meow.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:26 am

Hi! It seems you have only one problem: a bicycle. What was the question?

Take care.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Post by FBM » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:11 am

Welcome back, lofuji! Glad you're healed up and back among us. There are not enough of us Ratz representing the Asian front. :td: Off to have a look at your blog... :pop:
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:25 am

Hi again, Lofuji. I think I'll just call you "lucky"! :hehe:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

MiM
Man In The Middle

Post by MiM » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:09 am

Nice to meet you Lofuji. :tiphat:

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - Richard Feynman

lofuji
About me: habitual drunkard, cannabis connoisseur; no wonder I never get anything done.

Post by lofuji » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:42 am

Perhaps I should have mentioned that I've been spending my compo on high-grade medical marijuana from Canada. I'm anxiously awaiting my latest order, a variety called Blackwater, which I haven't tried before. If it's anything like the rogue security firm causing mayhem in Afghanistan then I think it will hit the spot. And no, before anyone asks, I don't smoke before cycling. Cycling in Hong Kong is hard enough without that kind of added distraction.
Signifying nothing. [
Macbeth]

BH (Calcutta), failed]

Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope. [
Freewheelin' Franklin]

personal blog:
the view from fanling [stories about Hong Kong and any other shite I can think up]

Thinking Aloud
Page Bottomer

Post by Thinking Aloud » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:44 am

I remember you! Glad you found the One True Path again. Or am I mixing Ratz up with something else? :ask:

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:16 am

Nice to see you posting Lofu. I've had a short break from here myself - five or six days rather than a couple of years though! I don't, incidentally, use Google+ these days.

Sounds like you have been in the wars! I used to take my bike to London when we lived down south. It was a surprisingly good way to get around and see the place. I tried Oxford Street..once..it was terrifying!

Are you still spending periods in Penrith? Would be good to meet up there again when you make it back.

Feck

Post by Feck » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:57 am

Welcome back and beware bicycles they are the devil's transport !
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Post by FBM » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:59 am

And worse! It's a gateway exercise to stronger things like running and jumping!
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

lofuji

Post by lofuji » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:21 pm

Rum wrote:...I don't, incidentally, use Google+ these days.

Are you still spending periods in Penrith? Would be good to meet up there again when you make it back.
So who +1ed the blog posts I posted links to then? I thought it would be you.

I'll be back in Penrith in mid-May, so I'm sure we can meet up sometime.

FBM wrote:And worse! It's a gateway exercise to stronger things like running and jumping!
I can barely walk, so I think I'm safe.
Signifying nothing. [
Macbeth]

BH (Calcutta), failed]

Freewheelin' Franklin]

personal blog:

Faithfree
The Potable Atheist
About me: All things in moderation, including moderation

Post by Faithfree » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:31 pm

Hey lofuji, great to see you back! :tup:
Although it may look like a forum, this site is actually a crowd-sourced science project modelling the slow but inexorable heat death of the universe.

Mysturji
Clint Eastwood
About me: Downloading an app to my necktop

Post by Mysturji » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:59 pm

lofuji wrote:Yesterday, two years after someone invited me to join Google+, I decided to check it out, and among the people that the site thought I might "know" were two names I recognized, Rum and Bella Fortuna. Ah! I thought. I used to be a fairly frequent flyer here at Ratz, but the last couple of years have been traumatic, to say the least, and (I hate to admit it) I kind of forgot about Ratz. Last year was the worst: I fractured my patella in a cycling accident on the last day of 2011, and although by May I thought I was well on the way to recovery, thanks to lots of cycling, the weather was horrible in the UK in June, and walking was painful. So was sleeping, and for months the best I could manage was 15 minutes at a stretch. Back in Hong Kong, and back cycling, I'm now sleeping properly again.

In fact, for three consecutive Decembers I've crashed my bike, requiring a 999 call to be made each time. The first time, I hit my head so hard on the concrete that I'm convinced I'd have been killed if I hadn't been wearing a helmet. Although I was able to ride the 20km or so home after treatment by paramedics, I was so shook up mentally by that accident that I couldn't write anything for my blog for several months. The last time, in December last year, I escaped with a black eye and severe abrasions that took several weeks to heal, but no psychological damage this time, and I was able to keep posting on my blog, which has become very important to me. However, I might refrain from cycling this coming December.

There has been one silver lining though. I was awarded a ridiculous wodge of cash by HK's Road Traffic Accident Victims Assistance Fund for the second accident, even though it was my own fault! Anyway, here I am. I'll try not to disappear again, but given the way I ride, I can't make any promises.

Meanwhile, I would encourage everyone to at least take a look at my blog. I've written a few essays of which I'm quite proud, and if anyone asks, this is what I think is my best effort to date: Explanations. It should answer all your questions.
I advise you not to ride a bicycle in December. :prof:
Problem sorted.
Next!
Sir Figg Newton wrote:If I have seen further than others, it is only because I am surrounded by midgets.
Cormac wrote:Doom predictors have been with humans right through our history. They are like the proverbial stopped clock - right twice a day, but not due to the efficacy of their prescience.
IDMD2
I am a twit.