Welcome to rationalia.com

New? Introduce yourself here.
Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist
About me: I am sacrificing a turnip as I type.

Welcome to rationalia.com

Post by Pappa » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:42 am

:mrgreen:
For information on ways to help support Rationalia financially, see our funding page.

When the aliens do come, everything we once thought was cool will then make us ashamed.

charlou
arseist

Re: Welcome to phpBB3

Post by charlou » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:22 am

Hey, Pappa! This is very 8-) . Busy now, but I'll be back later to pitch in. Image

no fences

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist

Post by Pappa » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:28 am

:mrgreen: Image
For information on ways to help support Rationalia financially, see our funding page.

When the aliens do come, everything we once thought was cool will then make us ashamed.

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:23 pm

Pappa, what are your plans with this forum? Do you want to keep it intimate for ex rdnet vets and ot members, sort of invite only, or open it up to all comers? If the former, can I suggest that you allow us to contribute to the funding of the site? I am sure most of us would be willing to share in the running cost - in fact, I think allowing us to do so would make the thing feel more equal and safer ... Part of the problem with obc insisting on maintaining the purse strings is that he then holds all the cards, and his personality and unpredictability doesn't instill much confidence in the TAF future.

Unless you have something else in mind. I'm pretty easy either way because your personality and motives are completely different to obc's so it feels safer from that perspective ...

Just thinking aloud (hehe) here, really ...

xxx
no fences

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist

Post by Pappa » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:32 pm

For now, I'm not sure what this place is for, perhaps just a stand-by if it's ever needed, perhaps an invite only place... idk. Maybe we need a bit of time to decide if and when to invite others.

As for the money. I hosted it on my own virtual server, which I have to pay for anyway, so for now at least, it doesn't cost me any extra to run (except the £10 a year for the domain name). I'm happy to pay that, but if there were a lot of users, it would cost more to run, so then it probably would be worth creating a body/group of some kind to transfer ownership to, who would be responsible for it's existence. Besides, if there were lots of users, I'd prefer group ownership for lots of other reasons too.

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:39 pm

I like the idea of inviting a few people over - keep it intimate and a nice secret place, at least for now ... ;)
no fences

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist

Post by Pappa » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:44 pm

Who would we invite though? I don't want to cause upset by giving the impression we're creating another breakaway forum.

I'm off to bed now Charlou, I'll catch you later (Oz time) / tomorrow (UK time). ;)

Geoff
Pouncer

Post by Geoff » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:48 pm

I think "for now" is the operating concept. Like you two, and many others, I'm concerned about what's happening at TAF; I've started spending more time at HoC, but that doesn't "feel" like it's the right place for me either...and not just because of the people who are missing. I go along with something JimC posted about having friends split all over the place now - I can't abandon TAF because of losing touch with those who don't appear anywhere else.

I have to say that you two are two of the most important people to me on there, as far as I'm concerned. (that's a horribly clumsy sentence, but hey..)

:cheers: :mrgreen:
"...anyone who says it’s “just the Internet” can :pawiz: . And then when they come back, they can :pawiz: again." - Tigger

Geoff
Pouncer

Post by Geoff » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:50 pm

Pappa wrote:Who would we invite though? I don't want to cause upset by giving the impression we're creating another breakaway forum.

I'm off to bed now Charlou, I'll catch you later (Oz time) / tomorrow (UK time). ;)
I'd be happy to put forward my list of people that are really the ones I want to keep in touch with, though you might not agree with some for various reasons... :shrug: :dono:
"...anyone who says it’s “just the Internet” can :pawiz: . And then when they come back, they can :pawiz: again." - Tigger

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist

Post by Pappa » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:00 pm

Geoff wrote:I have to say that you two are two of the most important people to me on there, as far as I'm concerned. (that's a horribly clumsy sentence, but hey..)
Thanks Geoff, it does mean a lot. You'll be getting a big Pappa-hug this weekend.
Geoff wrote:I'd be happy to put forward my list of people that are really the ones I want to keep in touch with, though you might not agree with some for various reasons... :shrug: :dono:
Yeah, go ahead.We should talk about who we'd like to see here.

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:07 pm

Hi Geoff - glad you're here - you're one of the first people I thought of to invite. 8-)

I'm not sure who else we should ask but fire away and we'll see who you have in mind.
no fences

Geoff
Pouncer

Post by Geoff » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:18 pm

Pappa wrote:
Geoff wrote:I have to say that you two are two of the most important people to me on there, as far as I'm concerned. (that's a horribly clumsy sentence, but hey..)
Thanks Geoff, it does mean a lot. You'll be getting a big Pappa-hug this weekend.
Geoff wrote:I'd be happy to put forward my list of people that are really the ones I want to keep in touch with, though you might not agree with some for various reasons... :shrug: :dono:
Yeah, go ahead.We should talk about who we'd like to see here.
OK, to start with (I'll undoubtedly think of ones I've forgotten...)

Not taking into account their "discretion" or their "political correctness", just the ones I like best as people - there might well be good reasons not to invite some of them, and I'm quite happy to accept those reasons! Also depends on how small you want to keep it.

Anyway

bella
lordpasternack
MCJ
Elessarina
jain
FIO
Sugaree
Alison
Pauline
Bess
taryn

...oh OK, I suppose a few blokes as well, just for balance...

Dawktor
JimC
CJ
Exi
Spas
Ashton (if he comes back)
BAA
Mysturji
Horwood

That's a deliberately limited list...lots more I could add, but it would end up as being everyone except obc... ;)

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist

Re: Welcome to rationalia.com

Post by Pappa » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:15 pm

That sounds cool (I've invited MCJ, CJ, Faithfree, The Dawktor, Sugaree, daveateam and JimC already).

The only think I'm worried about it word spreading too quickly before the weekend.

(Don't forget pawiz too. :D )

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:44 pm

I don't want to think of reasons to exclude people, not even obc. This is Pappa's site - another meeting place for our community - and we can just let people know it's here and they can decide for themselves whether they're in or not. Being exclusive and/or secret is probably not going to work in the long run, so may as well be open about this from the start. I'm thinking it's just a matter of when and how to let people know...also it might help to have a basic idea of what guidelines and warning/suspension/ban system we're going to have, if any (we'll need something in place for spammers and extreme circumstances at least), before others join us...yikes!

I think it would be good if we could emphasise that this is just another venue, only without the RDF/admin baggage issues (who knows, obc might enjoy kicking back here as a member without the load of responsibility of site owner/admin etc.), for people to gather in good company.

That's my thinking for now, anyway...???
no fences

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist

Re: Welcome to rationalia.com

Post by Pappa » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:27 pm

I was thinking similar (about OBC). I'd be happy to have him here too, as an equal member.

It's nearly bedtime for me now, but perhaps we could bash out some rules/policies in about 9 hours when I get to work.