Hi, I'm Mick

New? Introduce yourself here.
jamest

Re: Hi, I'm Mick

Post by jamest » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:02 pm

piscator wrote:Naa. It's just too easy to show that most wannabe metaphysical emperors have lots of body hair with just a few questions.

But you have to admit that most outspoken theists who hang around atheist sites are on one sort of mission or another.
They're on the same mission as atheists: to discuss/air their metaphysical perspective.
And after you've seen so many continue to flog (at best) after their arguments have been shattered...well...
Since there's not one jot of empirical evidence which suffices to shatter any metaphysical claim [devoid of arguable empirical content]... well...

jamest

Post by jamest » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:22 pm

Seth wrote:
jamest wrote:
piscator wrote:What about when they knock on my door to evangelize?
Or want to conspicuously pray at my table and then call me out for not being at my own table in my own house when heads were being conspicuously bowed and prayers were being conspicuously said? (This wasn't family either.)
Yes, you have my sympathies. But I'm talking about defending the bigoted trolling of theists (who are not necessarily religious people) when they participate in public forums open to rational discussion of metaphysical issues. I don't think the 'macdoc treatment' is justified.
I'm with you Jamest. That's why I call them Atheists, because they are some of the most intolerant religious bigots I've ever met, just short of the Taliban in some cases.
I agree. There's a lot of angry atheists out there and a few of them will sometimes do extreme things to undermine you. I speak from 15 years on-line experience.

piscator

Post by piscator » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:45 pm

jamest wrote: Since there's not one jot of empirical evidence which suffices to shatter any metaphysical claim [devoid of arguable empirical content]... well...
That's amazingly tautological, if only grammatically so. Are there any practical benefits to the pursuit of pure referents that don't involve math??

jamest

Post by jamest » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:10 pm

piscator wrote:
jamest wrote: Since there's not one jot of empirical evidence which suffices to shatter any metaphysical claim [devoid of arguable empirical content]... well...
That's amazingly tautological, if only grammatically so.
I made the mistake of trying to mimic your own grammar. :mrgreen:
Are there any practical benefits to the pursuit of pure referents that don't involve math??
Practical benefits? I'm not sure. But what about 'spiritual' benefits? Does your happiness hinge upon the material quality of your life?

piscator

Post by piscator » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:16 pm

jamest wrote:
piscator wrote:
Are there any practical benefits to the pursuit of pure referents that don't involve math??
Practical benefits? I'm not sure. But what about 'spiritual' benefits? Does your happiness hinge upon the material quality of your life?
A more practical question might be,
"Would I be paid so well if I didn't know what I was doing?" :ask:

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:24 pm

hehe :tup:
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

jamest

Post by jamest » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:08 am

piscator wrote:
jamest wrote:
piscator wrote:
A more practical question might be,
"Would I be paid so well if I didn't know what I was doing?" :ask:
A more spiritual question might be "Does the significance/quality of one's life hinge upon what he/she is being paid?". I'm finding your retorts to be somewhat naive and [also] somewhat disrespectful to people who see more to life than what they can buy for themselves. Are you really this Gordan Gekko character whom you apparently portray yourself to be? I can't make out if you're just acting the goat, or not. So, please just spell it out.

jamest

Post by jamest » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:10 am

macdoc wrote:hehe :tup:
Oh, you are still here. Did you not bring any sophistication along with you, as requested?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:30 am

Seth wrote:
jamest wrote:
Or want to conspicuously pray at my table and then call me out for not being at my own table in my own house when heads were being conspicuously bowed and prayers were being conspicuously said? (This wasn't family either.)
Yes, you have my sympathies. But I'm talking about defending the bigoted trolling of theists (who are not necessarily religious people) when they participate in public forums open to rational discussion of metaphysical issues. I don't think the 'macdoc treatment' is justified.
I'm with you Jamest. That's why I call them Atheists, because they are some of the most intolerant religious bigots I've ever met, just short of the Taliban in some cases.
:roll:

What an arseclown.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

jamest

Post by jamest » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:19 am

rEvolutionist wrote:
Seth wrote:
jamest wrote:
:roll:

What an arseclown.
A good clown is the smartest amongst us.

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:23 am

See Seth - you don't understand the concept at all.....ridicule of positions not based on evidence is not bigotry...it's quite indiscriminate in it's demand for evidence over "faith". You want to promote bullshit world views...others including myself will not discriminate at all in calling for what it is....a odiferous pile of shit.....be it anti-evolution, anti-vaxer, climate change denier, theist or marxist conspiracy tripe......

Most rational people get past the tooth fairy stage early on.
...but nice try at a rhetorical slam....you missed...per usual.

You and Jamest. :roll: ... :funny: :funny: :funny:

:coffee:

•••

Gee Jamest ....maybe you and Seth can become gun buddies.... :naughty:
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

jamest

Post by jamest » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:28 am

macdoc wrote:See Seth - you don't understand the concept at all.....ridicule of positions not based on evidence is not bigotry...it's quite indiscriminate in it's demand for evidence over "faith". You want to promote bullshit world views...others including myself will not discriminate at all in calling for what it is....a odiferous pile of shit.....be it anti-evolution, anti-vaxer, climate change denier, theist or marxist conspiracy tripe......

•••

I don't choose my buddies upon the basis of their allegiance to my mindset.

I asked for a sophisticated defence of your bigoted trolling, not just more bigoted trolling. Please show me that you have more in the locker than this.

Ian
Mr Incredible

Post by Ian » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:35 am

Ahem...

Penis.

That is all.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:59 am

jamest wrote:
macdoc wrote:See Seth - you don't understand the concept at all.....ridicule of positions not based on evidence is not bigotry...it's quite indiscriminate in it's demand for evidence over "faith". You want to promote bullshit world views...others including myself will not discriminate at all in calling for what it is....a odiferous pile of shit.....be it anti-evolution, anti-vaxer, climate change denier, theist or marxist conspiracy tripe......

•••

I don't choose my buddies upon the basis of their allegiance to my mindset.

I asked for a sophisticated defence of your bigoted trolling, not just more bigoted trolling. Please show me that you have more in the locker than this.
It's not bigoted, and it's not trolling.

It's a robust and often sarcastic attack on a position which mac and most of the rest of us consider needs to be attacked.

Tough luck, religions deserve no automatic respect any more... Well, they never really did, but christianity in its day, and islam now, could use coercive power to physically punish those with a contrary view. I know many of you would secretly want those days to return, and fling all of us pesky atheists in jail for blasphemy, but tough titty, you can't.

Suck it up, princess, religion is a fading force in advanced counties the world over, and hopefully continues to dwindle into an insignificant footnote of history.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:16 am