:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

Elessarina
Bearer of Anduril
Bearer of Anduril
About me: The Fastest Ratz.. apparently

Re: Christianity - A respectful dialogue

Post by Elessarina » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:36 pm

Feck wrote:Another classic Ratz thread Love you all , deeply you know :huggeroo:
:paddle:

Valden
About me: Once upon a time...

Post by Valden » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:21 pm

Maybe the thread really should just be locked? thedistillers is really just having a discussion with himself and no one else. Some "dialogue" this has been. :ddpan:

Chinaski
Mazel tov cocktail
About me: Barfly

Post by Chinaski » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:23 pm

Valden wrote:Maybe the thread really should just be locked? thedistillers is really just having a discussion with himself and no one else. Some "dialogue" this has been. :ddpan:
Bingo.

Locking this thread.
Is there for honest poverty
That hangs his heid and a' that
The coward slave, we pass him by
We dare be puir for a' that.

Imagehttp://imagegen.last.fm/iTunesFIXED/rec ... mphony.gif[/img2]

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:06 pm

This thread should not have been locked. That is not our normal way of dealing with things.

Can I remind ALL members to refrain from personal attacks, however cleverly worded. It is against our rules. Play nice.

thedistillers, your attitude is likely to lead to a suspension if you don't rein it in. Consider this a warning not to act like a troll in case you are deemed to be one.
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Elessarina
Bearer of Anduril
Bearer of Anduril
About me: The Fastest Ratz.. apparently

Post by Elessarina » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:10 pm

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:This thread should not have been locked. That is not our normal way of dealing with things.

Can I remind ALL members to refrain from personal attacks, however cleverly worded. It is against our rules. Play nice.

thedistillers, your attitude is likely to lead to a suspension if you don't rein it in. Consider this a warning not to act like a troll in case you are deemed to be one.

I thought that as he might actually come back and answer.. despite the derails..

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:12 pm

Elessarina wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:This thread should not have been locked. That is not our normal way of dealing with things.

I thought that as he might actually come back and answer.. despite the derails..
Threads are like hydra heads - lock one and three more spring up to complain about the locking. :hehe:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
House MD
Sandy Denny
Paco
Calilasseia
Twoflower
Millefleur

Valden

Post by Valden » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:37 pm

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
Elessarina wrote:

Threads are like hydra heads - lock one and three more spring up to complain about the locking. :hehe:

MattHunX
About me: I love science-fiction, I like listening to music (all kinds, but mostly power-metal), gaming and daydreaming a lot. Also reading a book now and then and some articles.
Location: Milky Way/Sol/Earth/Mid-East European Backwater (aka Hungary)

Post by MattHunX » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:42 pm

Valden wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
Elessarina wrote:

COOOOOL!!! :drool:
Once he ruled all his lands with a firm iron hand,
Not a queen by his side never knew the reason why
At the end of the tale I now finally see
That the Tragic King is me

All alone on my throne once held powers so strong
Searched for wisdom of Gods and the will to carry on
In my eyes you can see peaceful rest finally
Behold King of Tragedy

Axenstar - King of Tragedy

Oldskeptic

Post by Oldskeptic » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:51 am

Sensus divinitatis was originally an idea of John Calvin, and it is pretty circular reasoning in that he concluded that it must be something that everyone has because just about everyone believed in God. He also had a way around the problem that not everyone believed in God: Wickedness and sinful living could destroy sensus divinitatis. And all of this was very convenient for explaining why people that never heard of God should be held morally accountable and deserve divine punishment for not believing in God even if no one had ever told them about God.

Calvin does not say that sensus divinitatis can tell anyone anything about God other than that there is one, he created the universe, and he should be worshipped. To get the details takes revelations by god that become what he called internal testimony of the Holy Spirit.

Sensus divinitatis was and is nothing more than a logical fallacy stemming from an argument from popularity, but something of a double edged sword that allowed him to say that people who claim not to believe actually do believe and just deny it because they hate God, or that they used to believe but do not any longer because their wicked ways have destroyed their ability to believe. I still hear and read these arguments today.

Calvin seems to have though that all are naturally born with Sensus divinitatis. Maybe he would have called it the God gene if genetics would have been understood at the time, but Alvin Plantinga goes a bit further calling Sensus divinitatis, a disposition to for certain religious beliefs triggered by seeing wondrous or complicated things that are hard to imagine being possible without there being a God responsible for it. Basically the design argument relying on credulity.

@ Thedistillers:
This Sensus divinitatis has been explained many times by many people: It is a by product of evolved traits such as pattern seeking, curiosity, and a tendency to want easily understood answers. Sensus divinitatis in the sense that you are using it is not an explanation or argument of any kind for the existence of God.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:06 am

Oldskeptic wrote:Sensus divinitatis was originally an idea of John Calvin, and it is pretty circular reasoning in that he concluded that it must be something that everyone has because just about everyone believed in God. He also had a way around the problem that not everyone believed in God: Wickedness and sinful living could destroy sensus divinitatis. And all of this was very convenient for explaining why people that never heard of God should be held morally accountable and deserve divine punishment for not believing in God even if no one had ever told them about God.

Calvin does not say that sensus divinitatis can tell anyone anything about God other than that there is one, he created the universe, and he should be worshipped. To get the details takes revelations by god that become what he called internal testimony of the Holy Spirit.

Sensus divinitatis was and is nothing more than a logical fallacy stemming from an argument from popularity, but something of a double edged sword that allowed him to say that people who claim not to believe actually do believe and just deny it because they hate God, or that they used to believe but do not any longer because their wicked ways have destroyed their ability to believe. I still hear and read these arguments today.

Calvin seems to have though that all are naturally born with Sensus divinitatis. Maybe he would have called it the God gene if genetics would have been understood at the time, but Alvin Plantinga goes a bit further calling Sensus divinitatis, a disposition to for certain religious beliefs triggered by seeing wondrous or complicated things that are hard to imagine being possible without there being a God responsible for it. Basically the design argument relying on credulity.

@ Thedistillers:
This Sensus divinitatis has been explained many times by many people: It is a by product of evolved traits such as pattern seeking, curiosity, and a tendency to want easily understood answers. Sensus divinitatis in the sense that you are using it is not an explanation or argument of any kind for the existence of God.
What a perfect example of how these things should be done. No personal attacks or rhetoric, just a rational, factual demolition of a flawed premise. my compliments to you, Oldskeptic. :tiphat:
Salman Rushdie
House MD
Sandy Denny
Paco
Calilasseia
Twoflower
Millefleur

Valden

Post by Valden » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:45 am

Xamonas Chegwé wrote: What a perfect example of how these things should be done. No personal attacks or rhetoric, just a rational, factual demolition of a flawed premise. my compliments to you, Oldskeptic. :tiphat:
I thought my Hydra pic was pretty rational. :( :lol:
Oldskeptic wrote:Sensus divinitatis was originally an idea of John Calvin, and it is pretty circular reasoning in that he concluded that it must be something that everyone has because just about everyone believed in God. He also had a way around the problem that not everyone believed in God: Wickedness and sinful living could destroy sensus divinitatis. And all of this was very convenient for explaining why people that never heard of God should be held morally accountable and deserve divine punishment for not believing in God even if no one had ever told them about God.

@ Thedistillers:
Thank for sharing! I'm glad someone finally got around to explaining what it is.

Loki_999

Post by Loki_999 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:08 am

Valden wrote: I thought my Hydra pic was pretty rational. :( :lol:
That's not a hydra. Its Tiamat from Dungeons and Dragons. FFS can people get their mythology right!? :biggrin:
thedistillers wrote: It took 8 pages before the censorship threats (typical of atheism of the last century) begin.
Unlike Christian forums where it would get locked you would get perma-banned for even suggesting their god didn't exist? Besides, the fact it took 8 pages just means the mods around here are just lazy or inefficient. :hehe:
FBM wrote:Set him on fire.

Edit: Whatever you do, don't set him on fire. That would be wrong. I just looked it up.

z8000783

Post by z8000783 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:36 am

Has he left the building, I had a couple of questions?

John

normal
!
!
About me: meh

Post by normal » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:38 am

z8000783 wrote:Has he left the building, I had a couple of questions?

John
It doesn't seem like they were going to be answered anyway.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                   -Douglas Adams