Letter Box

Holy Crap!
Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: Letter Box

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:07 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:48 pm
dunnow, I wear a hoodie whenever it's too cold or too wet, and it's no face covering.

No banks anymore? where do you go for cash? or for banking operations?
I know but wearing it in a bus or building is not needed. It does obscure the face though.

Well I personally never bother about cash but for those who do there are still ATM's but they are disappearing largely due to the practice of gangs trying to rip them out of the wall.

The Dutch had the Giro before WW2. A system of filling in a book of cards and posting them to the Girobank. Post offices functioned as a bank for Giro account customers and there were old fashioned styled banks where account holders did their business.
With the fusion of banking into three major banks, the Girobank was absorbed by ING. Online banking took over. These days you have apps of course. Most payments are made using banking orders but everything is done online.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:25 pm

I rarely go into a bank these days. It's mostly on-line banking, or withdrawing cash from ubiquitous ATM's.

For certain fairly rare processes, like large payments (e.g.. for a car, bank cheques are efficient), sorting out superannuation or preparing for overseas travel, I'll go in to have a face-to-face consultation...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:54 pm

JimC wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:25 pm
I rarely go into a bank these days. It's mostly on-line banking, or withdrawing cash from ubiquitous ATM's.

For certain fairly rare processes, like large payments (e.g.. for a car, bank cheques are efficient), sorting out superannuation or preparing for overseas travel, I'll go in to have a face-to-face consultation...
Even ATMs are getting outdated. If I need cash I get it while paying for my groceries.

The last time I actually stepped inside a bank branch was in 2012. The purpose was to arrange access to my money while I was in New Zealand. Worked out flawlessly. No extra charges were involved, and the currency was converted into NZ dollars automatically.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:58 pm

Hermit wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:54 pm
JimC wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:25 pm

Even ATMs are getting outdated. If I need cash I get it while paying for my groceries.

The last time I actually stepped inside a bank branch was in 2012. The purpose was to arrange access to my money while I was in New Zealand. Worked out flawlessly. No extra charges were involved, and the currency was converted into NZ dollars automatically.
Snap... ;)
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:59 pm

I can't remember the last time I went into a bank. Like Hermit I get my cash out at the supermarket when shopping.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:23 am

we don't have that service yet in France, and I certainly don't have access to it, so I go to the ATM inside the bank at least twice a month.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:18 am

Texas didn't even allow branch banking until the mid 80s, and this restriction was put in the constitution! Apparently they figured if you wanted to take someone's farm you'd have to live with him... :hehe:

Not today eh Scot? --no fucking clue who's screwing you... :nervous:

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:14 am

?
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:16 am

I'm really stuck in two minds about burqa bans. I hate the garmet with a passion, because it's religious whackery and oppression of women. But I also hate the idea of the state telling you what you can and can't wear.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:52 am

well, the problem with burka is that it utterly hides your identity... there are countries where there are laws against hiding your face in public.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:54 am

And that's state overreach, IMO. It's none of anyone's business whether someone can be identified or not in public. Such a thing is almost certainly driven by child-like fear, and I'd suggest to people who are scared of not being able to see someone's face to grow the fuck up.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:02 am

it would have been over reach before muslim extremists started indulging in terrorism, as it is, it's not a good thing, but it will be hard to go back... beburqa'ed 'ladies' have no place in this country anyway.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:19 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:16 am
I'm really stuck in two minds about burqa bans. I hate the garmet with a passion, because it's religious whackery and oppression of women. But I also hate the idea of the state telling you what you can and can't wear.
I agree that there is a tension between two different ethical motivations. Probably, in the end, there should be a pragmatic decision that they are not banned in general, but that the women involved must show their faces in certain specific places, such as law courts, or banks, to prevent identity fraud criminal activity. On top of that, the moderate Islamic community should be mounting an education campaign with the aim of eventually eliminating them .
And my gin!

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:44 am

Svartalf wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:02 am
it would have been over reach before muslim extremists started indulging in terrorism, as it is, it's not a good thing, but it will be hard to go back... beburqa'ed 'ladies' have no place in this country anyway.
As far as I am aware most Muslim terrorists in the West have not been hiding their faces. And why would they? What is the advantage of hiding your face? You are only drawing attention to yourself which is exactly what you do not want.
Last edited by NineBerry on Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:50 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:54 am
And that's state overreach, IMO. It's none of anyone's business whether someone can be identified or not in public. Such a thing is almost certainly driven by child-like fear, and I'd suggest to people who are scared of not being able to see someone's face to grow the fuck up.
You see signs here - mostly at petrol stations, that hoodies and helmets should be removed before entering the shop area - for kind of obvious reasons. One could argue it is none the the shop owner's business..on the other hand.