Happy International Blasphemy Day!

Holy Crap!
User avatar
Hermit
Posts: 18438
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:44 am
Contact:

Re: Happy International Blasphemy Day!

Post by Hermit » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:03 am

Crumple wrote:Atheism is a belief system. :tea:
In so far as a lack of a belief can be.

User avatar
cronus
Black Market Analyst
Posts: 17764
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:09 pm
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Happy International Blasphemy Day!

Post by cronus » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:14 am

Hermit wrote:
Crumple wrote:Atheism is a belief system. :tea:
In so far as a lack of a belief can be.
You are arguing with the wrong one here. I don't believe in anything. :coffee:
fit birds only...

User avatar
JimC
The sentimental bloke
Posts: 58360
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:58 am
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Happy International Blasphemy Day!

Post by JimC » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:02 am

Crumple wrote:Atheism is a belief system. :tea:
Incorrect. It entails the lack of any belief system that belongs to the set of belief systems that posit a god.

Atheists most probably have other belief systems in the most general sense of the world.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

User avatar
Hermit
Posts: 18438
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:44 am
Contact:

Re: Happy International Blasphemy Day!

Post by Hermit » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:47 am

Crumple wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Crumple wrote:Atheism is a belief system. :tea:
In so far as a lack of a belief can be.
You are arguing with the wrong one here. I don't believe in anything. :coffee:
I am arguing against the assertion that atheism is a belief system, no matter who makes it. :coffee:

The assertion is correct for the type of atheism that claims to know that there is no god, (which is as much of a belief system as claiming to know that there is a god,) but I think only a very small percentage of atheists would make such a claim.

User avatar
cronus
Black Market Analyst
Posts: 17764
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:09 pm
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Happy International Blasphemy Day!

Post by cronus » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:33 am

The universe either contains a God (trade mark pending) or not. Belief doesn't come into it. Not believing in a tiger chewing on your leg doesn't make it go away. :tea:
fit birds only...

User avatar
Rum
Absent Minded Processor
Posts: 34644
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:25 pm
Location: South of the border..though not down Mexico way..
Contact:

Re: Happy International Blasphemy Day!

Post by Rum » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:40 am

Hermit wrote:
Crumple wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Crumple wrote:Atheism is a belief system. :tea:
In so far as a lack of a belief can be.
You are arguing with the wrong one here. I don't believe in anything. :coffee:
I am arguing against the assertion that atheism is a belief system, no matter who makes it. :coffee:

The assertion is correct for the type of atheism that claims to know that there is no god, (which is as much of a belief system as claiming to know that there is a god,) but I think only a very small percentage of atheists would make such a claim.
Unless of course one is converted to AtheismPlusism..

Wonder what that lot are up to these days..

User avatar
pErvinalia
Off his meds
Posts: 45849
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 pm
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'
Location: dystopia
Contact:

Re: Happy International Blasphemy Day!

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:49 am

Crumple wrote:The universe either contains a God (trade mark pending) or not. Belief doesn't come into it. Not believing in a tiger chewing on your leg doesn't make it go away. :tea:
Deep.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"You know you blokes didn't criticize Obama. You're lying. - Forty Two. Umm - http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=42144

User avatar
Hermit
Posts: 18438
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:44 am
Contact:

Re: Happy International Blasphemy Day!

Post by Hermit » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:52 am

Crumple wrote:The universe either contains a God (trade mark pending) or not. Belief doesn't come into it. Not believing in a tiger chewing on your leg doesn't make it go away. :tea:
This is true, but not relevant to the assertion that atheism is a belief system.

User avatar
Hermit
Posts: 18438
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:44 am
Contact:

Re: Happy International Blasphemy Day!

Post by Hermit » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:56 am

On intelligent design:

God: How many more animals left to make?
Angel: 2
God: And how many more legs do we have?
Angel: 100
Centipede: Dibs!
Snake: Arsehole

User avatar
cronus
Black Market Analyst
Posts: 17764
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:09 pm
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Happy International Blasphemy Day!

Post by cronus » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:20 am

It's a very fine line from your Godlessness to my Thingnessness. I'll win the argument eventually. :tea:
fit birds only...

User avatar
Hermit
Posts: 18438
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:44 am
Contact:

Re: Happy International Blasphemy Day!

Post by Hermit » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:33 am

Crumple wrote:It's a very fine line from your Godlessness to my Thingnessness. I'll win the argument eventually. :tea:
Fine. Consider yourself to have won.

Doesn't make atheism is a belief system, though.

User avatar
cronus
Black Market Analyst
Posts: 17764
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:09 pm
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Happy International Blasphemy Day!

Post by cronus » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:48 am

Hermit wrote:
Crumple wrote:It's a very fine line from your Godlessness to my Thingnessness. I'll win the argument eventually. :tea:
Fine. Consider yourself to have won.

Doesn't make atheism is a belief system, though.
I wrote that. Doesn't mean I believe it myself. Who are you trying to convince? :coffee:
fit birds only...

User avatar
Hermit
Posts: 18438
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:44 am
Contact:

Re: Happy International Blasphemy Day!

Post by Hermit » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:01 am

Crumple wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Crumple wrote:It's a very fine line from your Godlessness to my Thingnessness. I'll win the argument eventually. :tea:
Fine. Consider yourself to have won.

Doesn't make atheism is a belief system, though.
I wrote that. Doesn't mean I believe it myself.
That's fine too. Tell someone who cares.

User avatar
cronus
Black Market Analyst
Posts: 17764
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:09 pm
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Happy International Blasphemy Day!

Post by cronus » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:08 am

Hermit wrote:
Crumple wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Crumple wrote:It's a very fine line from your Godlessness to my Thingnessness. I'll win the argument eventually. :tea:
Fine. Consider yourself to have won.

Doesn't make atheism is a belief system, though.
I wrote that. Doesn't mean I believe it myself.
That's fine too. Tell someone who cares.
Sure made a little go a long way.
fit birds only...

User avatar
pErvinalia
Off his meds
Posts: 45849
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 pm
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'
Location: dystopia
Contact:

Re: Happy International Blasphemy Day!

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:15 am

You need help.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"You know you blokes didn't criticize Obama. You're lying. - Forty Two. Umm - http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=42144

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests