Scientific Proof Of God

Holy Crap!
superuniverse

Re: Scientific Proof Of God

Post by superuniverse » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:58 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:14 am
First you must support the operating premises that the Universe is eternal and created. If we can agree on that, even for the sake of argument, then we might be able move this discussion forward.

We are playing with you...

Either way, created or eternal, prove that it happened without the act of God.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:08 am

superuniverse wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:23 am
So much blah, blah, blah.

We want PROOF OF ATHEISM. You are the ones making the claim, hence this forum.
Incorrect. Theists are making the claim that a supernatural, all-powerful god exists who intervenes in human affairs. We, as atheists, are simply not accepting this rather outlandish claim, a claim that is totally unnecessary in explaining the universe as it is...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:19 am

superuniverse wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:14 am
First you must support the operating premises that the Universe is eternal and created. If we can agree on that, even for the sake of argument, then we might be able move this discussion forward.

Now that you've moved the operating premises to an extant God which acted to create the Universe, then, again, these assumptions must be supported in some way, even for the sake of argument, so that the discussion can move forward.

If we are to discuss this reasonably and rationally in good faith the neither of us can lead off with where we wish to arrive: we cannot start from our conclusions - circulus in probando.

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

superuniverse

Post by superuniverse » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:31 am

AVOIDING THE QUESTION NOTED.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:18 am

superuniverse wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:58 am
The assertion that the universe was created by some supernatural entity achieves nothing. It just moves the mystery concerning its creation from one level to another.
So you talk about mobs and the working classes as if they were the question. You've got that eternal idiotic idea that if anarchy came it would come from the poor. Why should it? The poor have been rebels, but they have never been anarchists; they have more interest than anyone else in there being some decent government. The poor man really has a stake in the country. The rich man hasn't; he can go away to New Guinea in a yacht. The poor have sometimes objected to being governed badly; the rich have always objected to being governed at all. Aristocrats were always anarchists. - G.K. Chesterton

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:34 am

superuniverse wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:23 am
So much blah, blah, blah.

We want PROOF OF ATHEISM. You are the ones making the claim, hence this forum.
How do you prove zero? No claim is being made. In the ancient world the zero did not exist. Ancient scholars used a point to indicate it. Why? Like you they could not accept that there is nothing. There always had to be something. The acceptance of nothing is a big problem for theists. It just does not fit into your mindset.
Yet we live in a digital world of ones and zeros. The on and off of a switch. Why cant you accept there is an "off" position? What's is it to you that we started with the "off" position. The default. Only when theists came along and demanded that there is an "on" position did the trouble start. What that "on" position is has been interpreted so many times which is why theism is in the mess it is today with more and more people turning away from it.
We are the silent majority and just get used to it. Just keep on shouting in the smallest room but nobody will bother to give you any attention. You are the dying breed. Atheism cannot die as it does not exist as it is the "off" position. You are making the claims for the "on" position so where is your proof that it exists.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:03 pm

superuniverse wrote:

You are playing with your yourself.

...remember what happened to Onan. :smug:
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: philobarbaros

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:09 pm

Am I on or off? :dizzy:

:hehe: It's actually not bad Dutchy, I was so far down the rabbit hole with a theist once that I began to argue using the imagery of Leprechauns and cookie jars. :oops:
Do not be alarmed, I'm popping a gender reveal cannon.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:40 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:09 pm

:hehe: It's actually not bad Dutchy, I was so far down the rabbit hole with a theist once that I began to argue using the imagery of Leprechauns and cookie jars. :oops:
I once argued 24 hours non-stop with a young Jesuit monk. The on off switch was just one argument I dragged up in that time. It was to no avail. We went down so many rabbit holes that day. It all boils down to faith. Faith to turn the switch on when it is in fact off.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

superuniverse

Post by superuniverse » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:36 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:40 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:09 pm

I once argued 24 hours non-stop with a young Jesuit monk. The on off switch was just one argument I dragged up in that time. It was to no avail. We went down so many rabbit holes that day. It all boils down to faith. Faith to turn the switch on when it is in fact off.
You have trouble turning anyone on or off

superuniverse

Post by superuniverse » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:44 pm

Hermit wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:18 am
superuniverse wrote:
The assertion that the universe was created by some supernatural entity achieves nothing. It just moves the mystery concerning its creation from one level to another.
Which level?

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:13 pm

Questioning where God comes from will result in losing your head in some societies

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:24 pm

Dennis, by now you must realise that the majority response from members here to the "god question" echoes that of Pierre-Simon Laplace:

"I have no need of that hypothesis"

Having dismissed the childish superstition of the early history of the human race, with its supernatural fantasies, we can proceed to the much more interesting and probably never-ending task of understanding the natural universe.
And my gin!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:22 pm

superuniverse wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:44 pm
Hermit wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:18 am
superuniverse wrote:
Which level?
You choose.
So you talk about mobs and the working classes as if they were the question. You've got that eternal idiotic idea that if anarchy came it would come from the poor. Why should it? The poor have been rebels, but they have never been anarchists; they have more interest than anyone else in there being some decent government. The poor man really has a stake in the country. The rich man hasn't; he can go away to New Guinea in a yacht. The poor have sometimes objected to being governed badly; the rich have always objected to being governed at all. Aristocrats were always anarchists. - G.K. Chesterton

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:24 pm

That meme has tortoise a lot over the years... :tea:
And my gin!