Scientific Proof Of God

Holy Crap!
Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: Scientific Proof Of God

Post by Forty Two » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:58 pm

Yes yes yes, of course. However, the Book of Genesis was written like from the 6th to 10th centuries BC range, and almost certainly was based on even older traditional writings, which themselves probably originated from word of mouth tales that are rather archetypal in nature. These are people who didn't have the benefit of science, and they lived in a world that seemed infinitely vast. The land was below, and the waters surrounded the land, and the heavens were a dome above us. If you purposefully forget the science we've been taught, you can look up on dark night into the sky and see what they saw - imagine yourself never having traveled far from your place of birth, having to go everywhere on foot or by donkey/camel, having no reason to think the stars and the sun are similar things, and having no way of understanding what the planet were and why they moved and the "other stars" didn't, etc. The story makes sense when viewed in that light. It's not as if the people then were stupider than us and just didn't see what is so obvious to us. What's obvious to us now is not obvious.

Think of life back then. An old man is the center of attention when the sun is down, and very little can be done work-wise. The fires are lit. People are eating and sleeping. Storytelling, singing and dancing is all they have - there is no entertainment of the sort we are accustomed to. Everything was stories. Legends of ones grandfathers and the old man heard stories when he was a kid that related to events a generation or two or three earlier than that - seemingly, to a younger person at the time, descending back into the unimaginable depths of time. Viewed in that light, it's even easy to see how people thought it obvious then that long ago people lived a long long long time, and people were wiser back then, and the heroes of old were braver then, and back then there were giants in the Earth.... etc etc etc.

Make no mistake, if any of us were born then, it is really not very likely that we would do anything other than believe those stories too. The ones we learned growing up. Were we raised in the Viking long house, the story of the Allfather creating the world out of the blood, teeth, bones and flesh of a giant - stories of Yggdrasil the World Tree, and Jormungandr the world serpent, and Thor making the thunder and lightning and the rainbow bridge would all make perfect sense. They make perfect sense because at the time, with the information people had available to them, it explained the situation.

Isaac Asimov wrote a great piece called "The Relativity of Wrong," which explains how the idea that the earth was flat was "nearly right." Same concept. Based on the information at the time, the explanation fit. Sure, it doesn't fit today, because we know more. But, 2000 years ago, looking around us, we might think the earth was flat. It looks flat. And, the idea that we're on a ball and can be 'upside down' and not fall off is rather counter-intuitive. It requires different thinking - different premises.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:32 pm

So long as we all understand that they are the product of a primitive culture from the bronze age and not the inspired truth as dictated by God I'm happy.

superuniverse

Post by superuniverse » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:35 pm

THE TYPICAL ATHEIST STRAWMAN ARGUMENT:

OUR RESPONSE:

https://nostradamususa.wordpress.com

https://nostradamusart.wordpress.com

It was only a question of time before this crap would trigger full-scale divine retaliation.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:46 pm

Well I haven't been struck by lightning yet...

I'd say "fuck off god", except that it seems pointless castigating the non-existent... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:01 pm

so fuck off with the imaginary sky friend botherers.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:52 pm

superuniverse wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:35 pm
THE TYPICAL ATHEIST STRAWMAN ARGUMENT:
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:24 am

superuniverse wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:35 pm
It was only a question of time before this crap would trigger full-scale divine retaliation.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:32 am

Christ! What a racket!
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:30 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:32 am
Christ! What a racket!
:sulk: Feel free to post music suited to Old Fart's tastes. :sulk:
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:35 am

My remark was a comment on religion, not music. :whistle:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:02 pm

Agreed. A bloody racket.

:whistle: :whistle:
Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power - Eric Hoffer.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:20 pm

it's not a racket until they cast you out for not donating your money.

then again, there are churches that demand a tithe, and those are indeed qworthiy of being called racketeers.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

superuniverse

Post by superuniverse » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:23 am

Perhaps the most moronic group of humans in the entire history of the earth.

Time to call GHOSTBUSTERS!

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:38 am

superuniverse wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:23 am
Time to call GHOSTBUSTERS!
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka