Scientific Proof Of God

Holy Crap!
Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Re: Scientific Proof Of God

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:49 pm

Another time during a moment of earnest prayer I heard a voice, clear as day, and it said: "you've done nothing wrong". I interpret that to mean: "leave me alone already dude". :smoke:

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:31 pm

Only theists hear voices Sean. Sane people dont.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:54 pm

superuniverse wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:15 pm
What I will tell you is the following dream I had many years ago.

I was lying on my back looking at the stars, and all of a sudden they all started moving gradually to form the outline of an angel. Suddenly, I was transported in to deep space and remember the feeling of eternity. The angel whispered something in my ear before I woke up. I will not tell you what it said since it was no good.

I have a had a few others of divine origin which I will not mention.

But it somewhat resembled this:

Ok, but in the dream, were you naked? :ask:
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:57 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:31 pm
Only theists hear voices Sean. Sane people dont.

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:41 pm

Lately I've been hearing Scot Dutchy's voice in my head saying "chumocracy" over and over, but he pronounces it "chew-mocracy" for some reason. :twitch: :?
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:50 pm

Seabass wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:41 pm
Lately I've been hearing Scot Dutchy's voice in my head saying "chumocracy" over and over, but he pronounces it "chew-mocracy" for some reason. :twitch: :?
Sorry old son. You have never heard my voice. Mostly expat with a tinge of Edinburgh. Also I have been told a deep feminine voice. My Dutch is very bekakt more like Rutte. Cant help it. My girlfriend was a jurist and she shaped my accent.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:36 pm

The voices in my head are always chatting to each other about gin...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:49 pm

Talking to the voices in my head is the only decent conversation I get these days! :tea:

Musicologist Edwin Gordon noted the ability of some musicians to 'hear' music, sometimes in great detail, simply by thinking about it. He called it audiation. When one audiates one has the perception of music and instruments playing without air molecules actually vibrating one's eardrum. I don't see why this ability to experience the sounds of the imagination couldn't be transferred to human speech, particularly if, say, one was in a receptive state of mind - like when one was tripping or engaged in some kind of meditative practice, or both. I think the difficulty arises when one assumes or believes that these audiated sounds have a source in the real, material world.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

superuniverse

Post by superuniverse » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:27 am

he does his atheist preaching for the 5 cents per click. what is your motivation?

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:59 am

Since I don't "preach" atheism, motivation is not relevant... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

superuniverse

Post by superuniverse » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:28 am

May of posted this already. It's worth as second look.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:39 am

superuniverse wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:28 am
May of posted this already. It's worth as second look.
It wasn't worth a first look.
:evil: :drool: :Jack:
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:44 am

superuniverse wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:15 pm
What I will tell you is the following dream I had many years ago.

I was lying on my back looking at the stars, and all of a sudden they all started moving gradually to form the outline of an angel. Suddenly, I was transported in to deep space and remember the feeling of eternity. The angel whispered something in my ear before I woke up. I will not tell you what it said since it was no good.

I have a had a few others of divine origin which I will not mention.
A false witness will not go unpunished, and he who breathes out lies will not escape.
Proverbs 19:5
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:07 pm

superuniverse wrote:

he does his atheist preaching for the 5 cents per click. what is your motivation?
About 10 years ago I engaged with a JW on a weekly basis for about six months. We became quite good friends in a casual sort of way. They were an alright person. I was always happy to answer direct questions and even did the 'homework' and suggested reading to better 'understand' their pov. Unfortunately they were not allowed to read a lot of what I suggested, for doctrinal reasons. Nonetheless we had an honest and frank exchange of views which we both found stimulating and enjoyable.

Of course, we both had an agenda. They were hoping to convert me to the faith and I was hoping to convince them that their religion should re-engage in the kind of class struggle which sits at it's very foundations. After a while these agendas became less important to both of us, though never far from the surface.

Sometimes we'd meet on our own and sometimes they'd bring a younger novice along for training purposes. Over the period I'd say that while we never fully accepted each others ideas there was quite a lot of common ground and we accepted each other as basically decent and honest human beings. I considered this a pretty good outcome.

At our last meeting my JW friend brought an older man along - introduced only as Elder John. He was of a different type entirely. Instantly cold, a man with a hard look in his eye who didn't even bother to pretend to engage in polite pleasantries. I could see my friend was ill at ease and I assumed she was being graded on the quality of her discourse etc.

After the usual, though slightly awkward, chit-chat our coffee cups were pushed aside, the Bible came out, and we picked up on the subject of Evil and God's Law from the week before. I'd done my homework, of course, and started talking about what I had found interesting and agreeable in the JW outlook (I always started with positive points like this): the importance of shared social values; how core human values towards kindness, fairness, justice etc can be socially expressed; the existence and extent of social remedies for wrong doing; how the existence of laws does not automatically make them morally good,. Blah blah blah. However, unlike all of our previous encounters in which my friend would acknowledge my pov and contrast that with their own, pointing out where they thought our views elided and where they departed, every response was instead reference by a particular Bible passages (the JWs really know their scripture!) and some verbatim guff I recognised from the pamphlets or web articles I'd already read. This was no longer a conversation it seemed.

All the time Elder John bogged me out with an unflinching stare and contributed only by nodding at her replies or issuing the occasional Bible passages to look up: "Thessalonians 1, 2:6", "Leviticus 24, 17:21". etc.

I played along of course, and didn't mention how strange or out of character the meeting was compared to our previous encounters. We'd been going about 20mins, and I was just talking about how your boss asking you to do something against the rules is still wrong even if he's your boss when Elder John interrupted by suddenly pushing his chair back and standing up - making my friend visibly flinch. Still staring straight at me he told me that my friend had a lot of important work to do for the church and (and this was a real surprise) if I wanted to see her again I must sign on to a weekly Bible study group at the Kingdom Hall where my 'suitability for church membership' could be properly assessed. And in a somewhat threatening tone he lent forward over the table and told me that unless I signed up I was forbidden from contacting or talking to her again, even if I bumped into her on the streets. She stood behind him, eyes down, looking extremely ashamed. I've always wondered who she was ashamed of the most: Me, Elder John, or herself? John didn't wait for a reply. He just turned round and walked off. She followed without a goodbye or even a backward glance. Never saw her again.

Now Dennis, what were you saying about preaching and motivation?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:33 pm

Oh that. It's all behind. I don't think I've had a discussion with a believer on line for 10 years.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...