Is Atheism Fundamentally Evil?

Holy Crap!
Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Is Atheism Fundamentally Evil?

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:56 am

Some people think that not believing the unsupported claims and assertions of any and all religions means one is fundamentally evil.
      "his evil deeds"
      synonyms:
      • wicked, bad, wrong, morally wrong, wrongful, immoral, sinful, ungodly, unholy, foul, vile, base, ignoble, dishonourable, corrupt, iniquitous, depraved, degenerate, villainous, nefarious, sinister, vicious, malicious, malevolent, demonic, devilish, diabolic, diabolical, fiendish, dark, black-hearted

For Muslims the concept of evil is personified in Iblis, the Islamic version of the Christian Devil or Lucifer, who rebeled against Allah and, cast out of paradise, promised to tempt humanity towards the evil of turning away from the path of the almighty one.

Jews have a similar view to Muslims, but also maintain that good follows from actively seeking moral choices and evil follows succumbing to one's base urges, usually at the behest of Satan.

For Hindus evil is created as a force when an individual acts against dharma, which is held to be a universal natural force and the source of all virtue and something in which each individual shares a portion - thus when one acts against one's dharma one is acting against the universe and evil influences are created in the world.

According to the Zoroastrian tradition, Angra Mainyu, the embodiment of all human frailties and flaws, is a character who subjugates the weak willed and tortures them emotionally and physically once they fall under his malign spell. Angra Mainyu is a total anti-god who has the power to created situations as well as evil minions to assist him in his despicable work.

Adherents to Jainism take a different view while sharing some common ground with other Eastern traditions. Good acts and bad acts are weighed in the balance and where one has more entries in the good column happiness and enlightenment follow, and where one has more entries in the bad column misery and pain ensues. Jainism loosely ties the notion of evil to the absence of personal virtue.

So, according to the Abrahamic faiths atheist are fundamentally evil by dint of rejecting the authority of God when they reject unsupported claims and assertions for God's existence. So yes, from this religious perspective atheists are evil by definition, because they are non-believers, non-followers, and non-obeyers. Hindus say that evil is created when one doesn't fulfil the obligations of dharma as explained in their texts and as interpreted by their holy officiates. Zoroastrians share common ground with Judaism and Islam in as much as bad behaviour and things are a function of an evil intermediary or Devil figure, and Jainists seek to eliminate the karmic bookkeeping of good and bad entirely in order to transcend the cycle of birth-death-rebirth. With the exception of Jainism goodness and virtue are a function of religious adherence.

So, if some are to maintain that atheists are fundamentally evil--which is to say that everyone and anyone who does not believe the claims and assertions of the religions above, or of any religion, is 'inherently evil' or 'evil by default'--and if to be evil is to be, at the very least, 'profoundly immoral and wicked', what is the proper authority to determine the basis and bounds of good and evil, and from where is that authority drawn?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Is Atheism Fundamentally Evil?

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:14 am

Brian Peacock wrote:Some people think that not believing the unsupported claims and assertions of any and all religions means one is fundamentally evil.

Imbeciles think that atheism is evil.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:30 am

pErvin wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:Some people think that not believing the unsupported claims and assertions of any and all religions means one is fundamentally evil.

Imbeciles think that atheism is evil.
No, not atheism, just zealously religious atheists.
Last edited by Seth on Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:34 am

Brian Peacock wrote: Christians hold that all possible goodness flows from God and that the essence of evil is the refusal to submit to celestial authority; to love Him, honour Him, serve and obey Him.

Lie.
For Muslims the concept of evil is personified in Iblis, the Islamic version of the Christian Devil or Lucifer, who rebeled against Allah and, cast out of paradise, promised to tempt humanity towards the evil of turning away from the path of the almighty one.

Don't care.
Jews have a similar view to Muslims, but also maintain that good follows from actively seeking moral choices and evil follows succumbing to one's base urges, usually at the behest of Satan.
Wouldn't know.
For Hindus evil is created as a force when an individual acts against dharma, which is held to be a universal natural force and the source of all virtue and something in which each individual shares a portion - thus when one acts against one's dharma one is acting against the universe and evil influences are created in the world.

Sure, why not?
According to the Zoroastrian tradition, Angra Mainyu, the embodiment of all human frailties and flaws, is a character who subjugates the weak willed and tortures them emotionally and physically once they fall under his malign spell. Angra Mainyu is a total anti-god who has the power to created situations as well as evil minions to assist him in his despicable work.
Gotta blame someone I suppose.
Adherents to Jainism take a different view while sharing some common ground with other Eastern traditions. Good acts and bad acts are weighed in the balance and where one has more entries in the good column happiness and enlightenment follow, and where one has more entries in the bad column misery and pain ensues. Jainism loosely ties the notion of evil to the absence of personal virtue.
Sounds reasonable to me.
So, according to the Abrahamic faiths atheist are fundamentally evil by dint of rejecting the authority of God along when they reject unsupported claims and assertions for God's existence.
Lie.
So yes, from this religious perspective atheists are evil by definition, because they are non-believers, non-followers, and non-obeyers.
Atheists are evil to the extent that they do evil, which happens to include lying about people of faith.
Hindus say that evil is created when one doesn't fulfil the obligations of dharma as explained in their texts and as interpreted by their holy officiates. Zoroastrians share common ground with Judaism and Islam in as much as bad behaviour is a function of an evil intermediary or Devil figure, and Jainists seek to eliminate the karmic bookkeeping of good and bad entirely in order to transcend the cycle of birth-death-rebirth. With the exception of Jainism goodness and virtue are a function of religious adherence.
Seems to work pretty well in encouraging people not to do evil, so what's your problem?
So, if some are to maintain that atheists are fundamentally evil--which is to say that everyone and anyone who does not believe the claims and assertions of the religions above, or of any religion, is 'inherently evil' or 'evil by default'--and if to be evil is to be, at the very least, 'profoundly immoral and wicked', what is the proper authority to determine the basis and bounds of good and evil, and from where is that authority drawn?
Nobody says that. Well, the Muslims say that, but then again they are evil fuckwits so we can ignore them.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:56 am

Seth wrote:Lie.
Please qualify those assertions.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:57 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Otay. You lie about Christianity.

Qualified enough for you?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:03 am

That's still an unqualified assertion.

:|

Frank Zappa

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:17 am

Now you're just deliberately creating subjects to goad certain people.

:hehe:
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:25 am

He's giving Seth yet another avenue to spew his hate and idiocy.. :nono:
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:13 am

But I've given up easting babies, what the fuck more am I supposed to do!
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:38 am

I've never eaten a baby either... and I'm too poor to practice charity other than from the receiving side... I live in involuntary poverty and chastity, is being a monk evil?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:47 am

Animavore wrote:Now you're just deliberately creating subjects to goad certain people.

:hehe:
Not at all. Morals and Ethics are a hobby. One can test the bounds of a moral or ethical declaration by challenging it - and indeed one should when incredibly broad or general moral descriptors are applied to an entire section of society, such as 'atheists are fundamentally evil' etc. How the declaimer meets that challenge informs us as to limits and limitations of their utterances. ;)
pErvin wrote:He's giving Seth yet another avenue to spew his hate and idiocy.. :nono:
Indeed, that may be an unavoidable consequence I'm afraid :tea:

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:36 pm

Seth wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
Otay. You lie about Christianity.
In what way, to what extent, in what regard?

In Anglicanism there is no official doctrine on theodicy, but Anglicans affirm the Western theodical position founded in Catholicism, that: God is the source of all goodness and creates all creatures good. Though God does not create evil He has given some creatures the ability to choose their relationship with Him; a freedom to either exalt, adore, and obey Him or to reject Him. So traditional theodicy goes, as God is the source of all goodness then to reject God is to reject goodness, wherein lies evil. Evil is not a thing in itself, but a corruption of the goodness within creatures with the freedom to choose God, but who do not. Catholicism generally takes this one step further to imply that if evil exists then morality necessarily exist (for how can we tell good from bad without a morality?), and therefore the existence of evil is an argument for God because morality, being the embodiment of goodness, must come from the fount of all goodness, God.

As I said, from this religious perspective atheists are held to be 'fundamentally evil' as a consequence of their rejection of Christian claims and assertions made on behalf of their nominated deity, but does that mean that atheists are fundamentally (inherently, primarily, etc) 'profoundly immoral or wicked' people in their everyday lives and individual actions - as the descriptor 'evil' clearly implies? Some people seem to think so, don't they?
Seth wrote:...
Brian Peacock wrote:So, if some are to maintain that atheists are fundamentally evil--which is to say that everyone and anyone who does not believe the claims and assertions of the religions above, or of any religion, is 'inherently evil' or 'evil by default'--and if to be evil is to be, at the very least, 'profoundly immoral and wicked', what is the proper authority to determine the basis and bounds of good and evil, and from where is that authority drawn?
Nobody says that. Well, the Muslims say that, but then again they are evil fuckwits so we can ignore them.
You said it. :tea:

Frank Zappa

Feck

Post by Feck » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:33 pm

If you get into the minds of muslims ,at least the ones prepared to argue about it rather than just "cultural" muslims, you will find they live in a kind of brainwashed terror They don't love their god they are in abject fear they think the mind of their god is as primitive and vicious as the barbaric rapists and paedophiles who invented the religion . Atheists don't respond to threats of celestial torture and that undermines the whole credo of the Muslim cult. It also ,I dare to hope, reminds each of them of their own cowardice .
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:35 pm

Not significantly different from Catholics and evangelicals.