The Religious Virus & Being Human

Holy Crap!
cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

The Religious Virus & Being Human

Post by cronus » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:16 am

Are these compatible? Can you be religious and human at the same time? After so much history of horror with the worlds great religions even upto today is it possible that those who support religion, even moderates, are actually less than human? Able to make sounds like us but ultimately little more than philosophical zombies? And if so what should they be called? Sheep? What should they be called to separate them from the humanity they deserted?
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: The Religious Virus & Being Human

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:30 pm

Wait til Exi finds this thread.. :hehe:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:52 pm

More human than human.

“Maybe each human being lives in a unique world, a private world different from those inhabited and experienced by all other humans. . . If reality differs from person to person, can we speak of reality singular, or shouldn't we really be talking about plural realities? And if there are plural realities, are some more true (more real) than others? What about the world of a schizophrenic? Maybe it's as real as our world. Maybe we cannot say that we are in touch with reality and he is not, but should instead say, His reality is so different from ours that he can't explain his to us, and we can't explain ours to him. The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication ... and there is the real illness.” - P.K. Dick
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well
About me: Move along. Nothing to see here.

Post by rasetsu » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:00 pm

Does it make sense to think of religion as a virus? A virus is a strand of foreign DNA that takes over the operation of a cell, imprinting its goals on the machinery of the cell. Whereas in religion, various mechanisms in the brain that have to do with managing in a social context themselves hijack the brain. It's the difference between a virus and an autoimmune disorder. However if you simply mean that it is a virus in that it is an undesirable infection, I think you're being pointlessly insulting. Language has consequences, and religion being a virus is a highly debatable use of it.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:05 pm

Insult a religion? Perish the thought.... religion deserves respect and deference.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar