stripes4
Mrs Pawiz esq.
About me: lucky
happy
bossy
lumpy

Re: Biggest challenge to my denial of the supernatural yet

Post by stripes4 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:11 am

Clinton Huxley wrote:I'm not having any world wars starting now that I've put the Xmas tree up. WWIII will have to be postponed until after the festivities.
I am getting fed up of your stupid tree already. Take it down this instant
Generally opening mouth simply to change the foot that I'll be putting in there

Clinton Huxley
19th century monkeybitch.

Post by Clinton Huxley » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:13 am

stripes4 wrote:
Clinton Huxley wrote:I'm not having any world wars starting now that I've put the Xmas tree up. WWIII will have to be postponed until after the festivities.
Tree envy is not becoming, dear Stripes.
"I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled"

AND MERRY XMAS TO ONE AND All!

Imagehttp://25kv.co.uk/date_counter.php?date ... 20counting!!![/img-sig]

stripes4
Mrs Pawiz esq.
About me: lucky
happy
bossy
lumpy

Post by stripes4 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:14 am

Clinton Huxley wrote:
stripes4 wrote:
Tree envy is not becoming, dear Stripes.
:oops: :cry: :angrythis:
Generally opening mouth simply to change the foot that I'll be putting in there

Feck

Post by Feck » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:14 am

Oh Christmas ..I got junk mail from a jewellers :irate: today .I don't think it will be a world war but there will be some Wailing and gnashing of teeth this year down south :levi:
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:27 am

TheGreatGatsby wrote:I've been a nonbeliever for more than a year now, but recently I came a cross a very disturbing "coincidence" that has me thinking twice about the existence of supernatural forces.

Baba Vanga, a little-known Romanian prophetess, predicted in 1980 that in August 1999 or 2000 Kursk would be under water (this is exactly how she phrased it, no possibility of reinterpretation here). Kursk is a Russian city that did not sink in either 1999 or 2000. However, in August 2000 a huge submarine named Kursk sank, killing more than 100 people.

Also, she predicted that WW3 would start in November 2010, which is weird given the current situation in Korea. (she claimed it would start with nuclear explosions, which will be either confirmed or disproved in the coming months.

I'm not saying that this is definitive proof of supernatural powers, but I think it certainly needs quite a serious investigation.
Time to re-evaluate your opinion?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Eriku
About me: Mostly harmless...

Post by Eriku » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:31 am

Wiki's already gotten around to it... that great big laundry list of a future is not there anymore... She's just another failed prophet as far as it's concerned now.

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:43 am

Actually, what do you want from Vanga?! She never proclaimed herself a prophet, people sought her out, she helped a lot with healing and diagnosis. Example: my mom went to her once (I'm Bulgarian by the way) and was told like "the little girl will be diagnosed with the black disease, but it will be something entirely else." At that time my mum had no idea what she was talking about and later forgot about it. Several years later, my niece was diagnosed with epilepsy, at 10, and was even put on drugs already. My mum suddenly recalled what Vanga had said, and initiated another round of examinations, guess what, no epilepsy for my niece, turned out a nurse had totally misread some results, she had something totally harmless.

Eriku
About me: Mostly harmless...

Post by Eriku » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:53 am

You seem to place some stake in this? At any rate, I could find a faffload of other anecdotes like yours, even more fantastical ones, even... some from hucksters (though I don't doubt their being sincere) in my very own country, which is allegedly secular and clever.

She's just another person shrouded in mystery, and a bloody stopped clock is right twice a day so... Yeah.

Also, I never said she proclaimed herself a prophet. I was talking about the hype this Vanga character seems to have generated over the past few months... at least in certain invested circles.

Trolldor
Gargling with Nails

Post by Trolldor » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:56 am

Deersbee wrote:Actually, what do you want from Vanga?! She never proclaimed herself a prophet, people sought her out, she helped a lot with healing and diagnosis. Example: my mom went to her once (I'm Bulgarian by the way) and was told like "the little girl will be diagnosed with the black disease, but it will be something entirely else." At that time my mum had no idea what she was talking about and later forgot about it. Several years later, my niece was diagnosed with epilepsy, at 10, and was even put on drugs already. My mum suddenly recalled what Vanga had said, and initiated another round of examinations, guess what, no epilepsy for my niece, turned out a nurse had totally misread some results, she had something totally harmless.
I lol'd so fucking hard I am glad there are no patients in this close to closing time.

The 'black disease' could be anything, but not epilepsy. Epilepsy, for starters, is not a disease.
"The fact is that far more crime and child abuse has been committed by zealots in the name of God, Jesus and Mohammed than has ever been committed in the name of Satan. Many people don't like that statement but few can argue with it."

Trolldor
Gargling with Nails

Post by Trolldor » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:03 am

Oh, also, Nurses don't make diagnoses.

Misappropriated medication is not a diagnoses.

Your rather liberal with your interpretation. She may as well have said "Something will go medically wrong but turn out okay"
"The fact is that far more crime and child abuse has been committed by zealots in the name of God, Jesus and Mohammed than has ever been committed in the name of Satan. Many people don't like that statement but few can argue with it."

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:11 am

Deersbee wrote:She never proclaimed herself a prophet
Disingenuous woman, that. "Oh, I'm not claiming to be a prophet", but here are a few dozen of the thousands of prophesies she made. :roll:

If it waddles like a duck...
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:12 am

The Mad Hatter:
I lol'd so fucking hard I am glad there are no patients in this close to closing time.

The 'black disease' could be anything, but not epilepsy. Epilepsy, for starters, is not a disease.
My mother was not sure either what "black disease" meant and so forgot all about that, but later recalled it just in time, she totally credits Vanga with the correction of the epilepsy-diagnosis. On the other hand, Vanga had told her that my brother would not go blind (he has juvenile diabetes), but the poor chap did and despite numerous surgeries now at 49 is stock-blind, so Vanga was proven wrong.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:54 am

Deersbee wrote:The Mad Hatter:

My mother was not sure either what "black disease" meant and so forgot all about that, but later recalled it just in time, she totally credits Vanga with the correction of the epilepsy-diagnosis. On the other hand, Vanga had told her that my brother would not go blind (he has juvenile diabetes), but the poor chap did and despite numerous surgeries now at 49 is stock-blind, so Vanga was proven wrong.
So the vague prophecy, that could pretty much mean anything that you want it to mean and would apply to pretty much everyone at some point in their life were the interpretation stretched far enough, came true, but the specific one with actual details in it, was a complete, and personally tragic, fuck-up. Thus is ever prophecy. :airwank:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Feck

Post by Feck » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:14 am

It's December no world war .. yet
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:04 am

Sooner or later some disaster, natural or 'man-made', will occur and the post hoc woo merchants will get their rocks off with their simultaneously gleeful and gormless we-told-you-sos. :ddpan:
no fences