Faith healing kills.

Holy Crap!
Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Faith healing kills.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:52 am

Borrowed from skepticforum.com:
Lance Kennedy wrote:From an article in the latest Skeptic magazine, a number of cases of faith healing, or 'power of prayer' healing are listed, and the fatalities that results.

For example :
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27844314/
Lists a number of such results.

Studies have shown that prayor has no effect on recovery in heart disease cases.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16569567

The article begins with the story of Dennis and Lorie Nixon, who lost two children to disease. Both could have been saved with proper medical intervention. In both cases, they relied on prayor, and their kids died. The full text of the article can be seen on :
http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuse ... =415185765

How do we stop this kind of insanity?
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Feck

Re: Faith healing kills.

Post by Feck » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:57 am

In the case of Parents ,you take the children into care asap and charge the parents with child abuse on the grounds of denying medical care.
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

Chinaski
Mazel tov cocktail
About me: Barfly

Post by Chinaski » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:08 pm

There should be an exam to be able to be a parent. It would result in better new generations and cut down on the population surplus. Stupid people shouldn't be parents.
Is there for honest poverty
That hangs his heid and a' that
The coward slave, we pass him by
We dare be puir for a' that.

Imagehttp://imagegen.last.fm/iTunesFIXED/rec ... mphony.gif[/img2]

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:15 pm

FrigidSymphony wrote:There should be an exam to be able to be a parent. It would result in better new generations and cut down on the population surplus. Stupid people shouldn't be parents.
http://mbanarchy.com/wp-content/uploads ... n-car1.jpg[/imgc]

Chinaski
Mazel tov cocktail

Post by Chinaski » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:16 pm

Reading the article now, and a lot of it is incredibly sad... Religion truly is a cancer...

Goldenmane

Post by Goldenmane » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:36 pm

FrigidSymphony wrote:There should be an exam to be able to be a parent. It would result in better new generations and cut down on the population surplus. Stupid people shouldn't be parents.
What sort of exam?

If it's an IQ test, then I'll be in, but so will a lot of other arseholes. If it's a morals test, then I'll probably drop out on the first pass, depending upon how the test is done. If it's a sobriety test, then I'll definitely drop out, due to the fact that I'm a piss-head (although I never, ever, do anything like driving under the influence with kids in the car, or other such things) and yet a fuck-off load of fundies never touch a drop and still do incredible damage to their kids. If it's an "are you religious, and do you intend to raise your kids to believe the same bullshit you do?" test, then there are two problems, being the Liars for Jesus and the fact that there are plenty of abusive, ignorant, selfish arseholes out there who would pass and yet end up fucking their kids up.

In short, your comment leads to some fucking dangerous ground. (Of course, I figure you know that, and I'm only posting here in the hopes of stimulating discussion. It's why I was invited here in the first place, and I get really bored when posts I make on other boards get no response.)

(And, that being said, no, this is not trolling, although I can see how the above paragraph could be construed as admission of such. I would imagine that those familiar with my posts on other boards would know that I don't troll.)
I came here to sneer at the Cats and JimC. Stayed to see what was going on. Oh, yeah, blasphemy is a victimless crime.

Chinaski
Mazel tov cocktail

Post by Chinaski » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:42 pm

I know, and it would be very hard. But I'm thinking of something like presenting hypothetical situations and checking the answers... "if your child's sick, what do you do?" "if your wife/husband has alcohol problems, how do you deal with the situation?" I'm all for harsh measures, and being an alcohol abuser myself I wouldn't permit myself to raise children unless I radically dropped my consumption habits.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:45 pm

FrigidSymphony wrote:I'm all for harsh measures, and being an alcohol abuser myself I wouldn't permit myself to raise children unless I radically dropped my consumption habits.
Good luck with that. Try to find a partner that will be supportive and not a potential co-dependent type.

Feck

Post by Feck » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:46 pm

eugenics thats Very dangerous ground .IQ tests only test how good you are at IQ tests.Why not go the whole hog ,ugly people they shouldn't breed , depressed , addictive, fat ; start writing the list .In fact why not just charge people large sums of money for a licence to breed ,after all the poor are no use to society or they would be rich .

:nono:

Chinaski
Mazel tov cocktail

Post by Chinaski » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:51 pm

mrenutt4 wrote:eugenics thats Very dangerous ground .IQ tests only test how good you are at IQ tests.Why not go the whole hog ,ugly people they shouldn't breed , depressed , addictive, fat ; start writing the list .In fact why not just charge people large sums of money for a licence to breed ,after all the poor are no use to society or they would be rich .

I'd be willing to adopt all of those. Harsh, I know, but with the overpopulation becoming the issue that it is. Maybe I'm twisted, but when I read Brave New World I found nothing at all to criticize except the Savage's mother. Except the poor/rich part. Poverty isn't inherited, and with harsher inheritance taxes and higher social programs, poverty won't even matter anymore.

Chinaski
Mazel tov cocktail

Post by Chinaski » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:52 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
FrigidSymphony wrote:I'm all for harsh measures, and being an alcohol abuser myself I wouldn't permit myself to raise children unless I radically dropped my consumption habits.
Good luck with that. Try to find a partner that will be supportive and not a potential co-dependent type.
Don't worry, I don't plan on having children for quite a few years. I'm not addicted or anything, I just indulge too much. Thanks though :drunk: :cheers:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:02 pm

FrigidSymphony wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:
Don't worry, I don't plan on having children for quite a few years. I'm not addicted or anything, I just indulge too much. Thanks though :drunk: :cheers:
You're a teenager, you're supposed to do stupid stuff. It's easier to recover when you're young. 8-)

Feck

Post by Feck » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:05 pm

FrigidSymphony wrote:
mrenutt4 wrote:eugenics thats Very dangerous ground .IQ tests only test how good you are at IQ tests.Why not go the whole hog ,ugly people they shouldn't breed , depressed , addictive, fat ; start writing the list .In fact why not just charge people large sums of money for a licence to breed ,after all the poor are no use to society or they would be rich .

I'd be willing to adopt all of those. Harsh, I know, but with the overpopulation becoming the issue that it is. Maybe I'm twisted, but when I read Brave New World I found nothing at all to criticize except the Savage's mother. Except the poor/rich part. Poverty isn't inherited, and with harsher inheritance taxes and higher social programs, poverty won't even matter anymore.
Looking around at the mothers in my sink estate ,eugenics seems a sesible idea ,but it is not , just look at dog or cat shows to see the damage selective breeding can do .Who would make the rules ?Are we really that sure that 2 dumb parents never have outstanding offspring?
What about Art, music ,physical strength,disease resistance . It is an idea best left in the hands of science fiction writers .

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:11 pm

mrenutt4 wrote:Looking around at the mothers in my sink estate ,eugenics seems a sesible idea ,but it is not , just look at dog or cat shows to see the damage selective breeding can do .Who would make the rules ?Are we really that sure that 2 dumb parents never have outstanding offspring?
Mr. E, do you think the breeders are looking for advantageous improvements in a cat or dog, or just cosmetic improvements. "Eugenics", abused as it has been, is a good idea that was hijacked by people with other agendas.

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist
About me: I am sacrificing a turnip as I type.

Post by Pappa » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:13 pm

mrenutt4 wrote:Are we really that sure that 2 dumb parents never have outstanding offspring?
I'm 100% sure that sometimes the do have outstanding offspring.
For information on ways to help support Rationalia financially, see our funding page.

When the aliens do come, everything we once thought was cool will then make us ashamed.