Good news from America!

Holy Crap!
Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Re: Good news from America!

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:27 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:XC, IMHO the very use of technology by the wooists is helping finish them off. That is my point, in fine. People who sit in front of computers and rove the world are not only exposed to different ideas than they'd get from the pulpit, they also have to try and reconcile the woo with the fact that they have computerized coffee-pots and microchips in their corn chips.
What if they believe that those computers and microchips came from technology recovered in 'Area 51' or Roswell? Or that having the wrong coloured coffee pot will affect their Feng Shui? The interwebz is promoting as much bollocks as it is debunking. It is full of facts but even more full of bullshit.
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:31 pm

born-again-atheist wrote:Technology is irrelevant to belief.
Technology is corrosive to belief.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:34 pm

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:XC, IMHO the very use of technology by the wooists is helping finish them off. That is my point, in fine. People who sit in front of computers and rove the world are not only exposed to different ideas than they'd get from the pulpit, they also have to try and reconcile the woo with the fact that they have computerized coffee-pots and microchips in their corn chips.
What if they believe that those computers and microchips came from technology recovered in 'Area 51' or Roswell? Or that having the wrong coloured coffee pot will affect their Feng Shui? The interwebz is promoting as much bollocks as it is debunking. It is full of facts but even more full of bullshit.
What if they have a sign above their computer, "God created Bill Gates in His image"? Not every wooist is going to go over to rationality because of technology, but more and more will be as the two positions become more and more incompatible. Survivalists living in huts in the mountains have cut themselves off from technology as well as civilization. They're forward progress is zero, or ever retrograde. Technology is the wind that will wear down the mountain. If you disagree, either from firmly held beliefs or just because your contrarian, that's fine.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:46 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
What if they have a sign above their computer, "God created Bill Gates in His image"? Not every wooist is going to go over to rationality because of technology, but more and more will be as the two positions become more and more incompatible. Survivalists living in huts in the mountains have cut themselves off from technology as well as civilization. They're forward progress is zero, or ever retrograde. Technology is the wind that will wear down the mountain. If you disagree, either from firmly held beliefs or just because your contrarian, that's fine.
I'm not disagreeing exactly, just pointing out that technology's effects are nowhere near as clear-cut and one-way as you imply.
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:00 pm

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
I'm not disagreeing exactly, just pointing out that technology's effects are nowhere near as clear-cut and one-way as you imply.
Reply the first: I don't think I implied a clear-cut effect. I haven't tested it on a Standard Issue Person yet. My supply of SIPs is currently sparse and I don't want to waste one on this particular meme.

Reply the second: :hmph:

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:15 pm

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:It is full of facts but even more full of bullshit.
Well, I don't think we know what the ratio is, but my guess would be more facts than bull ... Either way, it's speculation.

Even with a high level of woo out there on the interwebz, Gawd's nicely worded observation, which I'll paraphrase here, still holds true: people who spend time on the internet are exposed to a broad range of ideas ... and I'll add that many of these ideas will be in conflict with their own ideas and with other ideas. People become aware that there are many ideas, many perspectives, and they constantly cherry pick what suits them and discard what doesn't, and any dogmatism becomes diluted in a continuous fount of new information.
no fences

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:18 pm

Charlou wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:It is full of facts but even more full of bullshit.
Well, I don't think we know what the ratio is, but my guess would be more facts than bull ... Either way, it's speculation.

Even with a high level of woo out there on the interwebz, Gawd's nicely worded observation, which I'll paraphrase here, still holds true: people who spend time on the internet are exposed to a broad range of ideas ... and I'll add that many of these ideas will be in conflict with their own ideas and with other ideas. People become aware that there are many ideas, many perspectives, and they constantly cherry pick what suits them and discard what doesn't, and any dogmatism becomes diluted in a continuous fount of new information.
When people are forced to defend woo instead of simply accepting it blindly the erosion begins.

maiforpeace
Account Suspended at Member's Request

Post by maiforpeace » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:55 pm

These articles are making the rounds - they must mean something?

The End of Christian America

The percentage of self-identified Christians has fallen 10 points in the past two decades. How that statistic explains who we are now—and what, as a nation, we are about to become.
By Jon Meacham | NEWSWEEK
Published Apr 4, 2009
From the magazine issue dated Apr 13, 2009

http://www.newsweek.com/id/192583
Atheists have always argued that this world is all that we have, and that our duty is to one another to make the very most and best of it. ~Christopher Hitchens~
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3534/379 ... 3be9_o.jpg[/imgc]

Kristie
Elastigirl
About me: From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere!

Post by Kristie » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:45 pm

maiforpeace wrote: The End of Christian America
I love the sound of that.... :mrgreen:
We danced.

anna09
Book Nerd

Newsweek: The End of Christian America

Post by anna09 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:25 pm

Chinaski
Mazel tov cocktail
About me: Barfly

Re: Newsweek: The End of Christian America

Post by Chinaski » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:46 pm

Yes! I never thought I'd actually possibly live through the fall of Christianity, it seemed much to imbibed in the mentality.
Is there for honest poverty
That hangs his heid and a' that
The coward slave, we pass him by
We dare be puir for a' that.

Imagehttp://imagegen.last.fm/iTunesFIXED/rec ... mphony.gif[/img2]

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Post by FBM » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:48 pm

The title was a bit of a hyperbole, but the article cheered me up, anyway. Thanks, anna09!! :tup: (I wanted to :td: but I see you're underage... :shifty: )
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

Ace
The Aviator
About me: Blasphemous, Mutinous, Renegade.
In short...a bit of a rebel.

Post by Ace » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:59 pm

The fall of christianity. That's a cause for a celebration! :toot:

I was expecting it to fall somewhat later on though :hum: .
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

What can't be tested, can't be used.

Chinaski
Mazel tov cocktail
About me: Barfly

Post by Chinaski » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:27 pm

Merged the last few posts from the "End Of Christian America" thread.
Is there for honest poverty
That hangs his heid and a' that
The coward slave, we pass him by
We dare be puir for a' that.

Imagehttp://imagegen.last.fm/iTunesFIXED/rec ... mphony.gif[/img2]

Trolldor
Gargling with Nails

Post by Trolldor » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:33 pm

FrigidSymphony wrote:Yes! I never thought I'd actually possibly live through the fall of Christianity, it seemed much to imbibed in the mentality.
The future hasn't happened, nor is it foretold.
Population statistics tell us about the now, but twenty years down the track? That becomes complete speculation.
"The fact is that far more crime and child abuse has been committed by zealots in the name of God, Jesus and Mohammed than has ever been committed in the name of Satan. Many people don't like that statement but few can argue with it."