Should I go?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:34 am

Yes, it might be fun.
11%
Yes, it sounds like it would create a lot of commotion *evil grin*
22%
No, sounds like a waste of time.
No votes
No, sounds dangerous to be surrounded by so many loonies.
22%
No, just no.
11%
Other reason (state).
No votes
Cheese.
33%

Total votes: 9

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Re: The Jehova's have invited me...

Post by klr » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:55 pm

redunderthebed wrote:
klr wrote:
redunderthebed wrote:I remember someone i know answering the door to jehovah's witness in the morning with his meat out........accidentally i hope. :? :lol:

I actually talk to the jehovah's witness around here good for a laugh tell them i'm an atheist and talked about this doco i saw on SBS on them oddly interesting. Although i fundamentally disagree with their beliefs and have debated one of them in front of a class about evolution vs creationism debate they are essentially harmless fundies and at the end of the day there is no bullshit i mean there beliefs are but they are honest about it unlike the hillsong types and they have no bullshit prosperity theology crap. Have no real interest like other religions in forcing their beliefs on others and are essentially pacifists.

Take of it what you will. :-|
They do have an interest in letting people bleed to death though, including their own children - and themselves. That's no laughing matter. :nono:
It's not about bleeding to death or letting anyone bleed to death whilst i don't agree with forcing children to conform to their parents beliefs its actually helping with bloodless surgery so transfusion are lessen/not necessary because the blood stock are getting low in some types of blood and if they run out they wont have transfusions.

I can understand where you are coming from KLR but in a round about way its helping development of surgery techniques in a odd way.
Firstly, please try and use more punctuation in future.

Secondly, that reasoning completely stinks. Are you seriously trying to suggest that it is OK for parents to risk the death of their children for the very questionable greater good of bloodless surgery? What about the right of the child to get the best medical care available, only to have it denied because of their parents' religious beliefs, beliefs which have no connection with reality whatsoever? On that path lies madness. We fret and even protest at the prospect of animals being used for medical testing. Are you telling me that a child's life is worth any less?

Millions have had their lives saved by blood transfusions, and it's not going away any time soon.

Frankly speaking, your argument has more than a whiff of JW apologetics to it. I think you've been listening too much to the JW's, and not critically evaluating what they are actually saying. You might need to take a good, hard look at the JW's, and treat their BS on several fronts a lot more seriously.
Last edited by klr on Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:58 pm

redunderthebed wrote:
klr wrote:
redunderthebed wrote:I remember someone i know answering the door to jehovah's witness in the morning with his meat out........accidentally i hope. :? :lol:

I actually talk to the jehovah's witness around here good for a laugh tell them i'm an atheist and talked about this doco i saw on SBS on them oddly interesting. Although i fundamentally disagree with their beliefs and have debated one of them in front of a class about evolution vs creationism debate they are essentially harmless fundies and at the end of the day there is no bullshit i mean there beliefs are but they are honest about it unlike the hillsong types and they have no bullshit prosperity theology crap. Have no real interest like other religions in forcing their beliefs on others and are essentially pacifists.

They do have an interest in letting people bleed to death though, including their own children - and themselves. That's no laughing matter. :nono:
It's not about bleeding to death or letting anyone bleed to death whilst i don't agree with forcing children to conform to their parents beliefs its actually helping with bloodless surgery so transfusion are lessen/not necessary because the blood stock are getting low in some types of blood and if they run out they wont have transfusions.

I can understand where you are coming from KLR but in a round about way its helping development of surgery techniques in a odd way.
I really can't go with that argument, red. You might as well say that we learnt a lot about human physiology and psychology by the experiments carried out in the Nazi concentration camps and Japanese POW camps in China, so that was a good thing in part. Or that the insight into the effects of radiation on human beings gained from the Hiroshima and Nagasaki blasts justified dropping the bombs.

The fact is that many children have died and many more will die in the future because of their fucked-up parents' religions - and not just JWs - there are fatalities caused by circumcisions too, and don't get me started on the fucking christian scientists! If you love your sky-fairy more than your children, you are a stupid cunt and don't deserve to keep those children.

I can see where your argument is coming from but I can't accept that non-invasive and keyhole surgical techniques are being developed simply in order to comply with the JWs fucked up 'faith', or even that that is a significant contributing reason for research into these techniques. The advantages of a decrease in recovery time (thus freeing much needed beds), higher survival rates, and less reliance on dwindling blood stocks are the factors that drive such development.
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

maiforpeace
Account Suspended at Member's Request

Post by maiforpeace » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:03 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:I don't have that problem here. They've learned to walk past my house. :read:
I live up a flight of 40 steps so they usually pass my house too.
Tigger wrote:Waste of fucking time. I detest religion in all its forms, particularly today as I'm sulking. Don't even breathe in the same air as they do, fucking parasites. Go for a walk somewhere where there aren't fuckers.
That's exactly what I was thinking. You must be awfully bored to consider boring yourself even more. How about joining your local atheist group instead and giving them some support? :dono:
Atheists have always argued that this world is all that we have, and that our duty is to one another to make the very most and best of it. ~Christopher Hitchens~
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3534/379 ... 3be9_o.jpg[/imgc]

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:03 pm

redunderthebed wrote:Gawdzilla: Go away you old fart. :lay:

Tigger: Enjoy the argument polite debate. :tup:
http://www.truemetal.org/metalwallpaper ... rifice.jpg[/imgc]
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

redunderthebed
Commie Bastard
About me: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in each hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Post by redunderthebed » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:06 pm

klr wrote:
redunderthebed wrote:
klr wrote:

Firstly, please try and use more punctuation in future.

Secondly, that reasoning completely stinks. Are you seriously trying to suggest that it is OK for parents to risk the death of their children for the very questionable greater good of bloodless surgery? What about the right of the child to get the best medical care available, only to have it denied because of their parents' religious beliefs, beliefs which have no connection with reality whatsoever? On that path lies madness. We fret and even protest at the prospect of animals being used for medical testing. Are you telling me that a child's life is worth any less?

Millions have had their lives saved by blood transfusions, and it's not going away any time soon.

Frankly speaking, your argument has argument have more than a whiff of JW apologetics to them. I think you've been listening too much to the JW's, and not critically evaluating what they are actually saying. You might need to take a good, hard look at the JW's, and treat their BS on several fronts a lot more seriously.
Firstly i'm stoned lack of punctuation is given.

Secondly i don't think the reasoning is good either, but it could serve a great purpose blood stocks are lessening and JV's and them or there parents refusing blood transfusions aren't going away either no matter what happens.Whilst i disagree with children being forced to have no blood transfusion, it's going to be a fact of life parents are your legal guardians until your 18 whether they are JV fundies or not and preaching to JV's what you say to a fair few of them wont make any difference you got to understand the mentality of them if they die because they are follow god's laws or whatever they'll go to heaven i fundamentally disagree with that but are we just going to let them die just because of our beliefs.I believe in tolerance of religion it isnt going away no matter how much we would like it.

Therefor catering for them and using the opportunity to develop alternative methods is a good idea like you said every child has the right to the best health care.
Trolldor wrote:Ahh cardinal Pell. He's like a monkey after a lobotomy and three lines of cocaine.
The Pope was today knocked down at the start of Christmas mass by a woman who hopped over the barriers. The woman was said to be, "Mentally unstable."

Which is probably why she went unnoticed among a crowd of Christians.
Cormac wrote: One thing of which I am certain. The world is a better place with you in it. Stick around please. The universe will eventually get around to offing all of us. No need to help it in its efforts...

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:20 pm

If a child, whatever its parents' beliefs, is in need of surgery, medication, amputation, a blood transfusion, or any other medical procedure in order to save its life, it should be given that treatment and the law should ensure that that happens. End of!

The wishes of a parent or guardian should not come into the equation in such a case, just as they should not be considered if they decided that their 7 year old should be buggered by the father and his mates, or if they decided that the child should be sent to work in a sweat-shop at the age of 9. The legal guardian's right to make decisions on behalf of a child end when those decisions are detrimental to the well-being of that child.

If an adult JW decides to die rather than accept blood, that is a sad decision but ultimately it is that person's decision to make and many would say good riddance (I would stop short of that personally, except in jest, but I sympathise with those that do.) But that same JW cannot make that decision on behalf of another.
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Chinaski
Mazel tov cocktail
About me: Barfly

Post by Chinaski » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:28 am

Sacrificing JW's for the benefit of the other people... Maybe Catholics... Or Born again's!! GASP! SAVE THEM SAVE THEM SAVE THEM!!!!
Is there for honest poverty
That hangs his heid and a' that
The coward slave, we pass him by
We dare be puir for a' that.

Imagehttp://imagegen.last.fm/iTunesFIXED/rec ... mphony.gif[/img2]