Archbishop: God will not save planet

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist
About me: I am sacrificing a turnip as I type.

Archbishop: God will not save planet

Post by Pappa » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:37 am

God would not intervene to stop us destroying the environment, the Archbishop of Canterbury warned last night, as he called for a 'radical change of heart' on global warming.

There needed to be a conversion from the greed which makes us 'turn a blind eye' to our relationship with the natural world, Dr Rowan Williams said.

'We are capable of doing immeasurable damage to ourselves as individuals, and we have the same terrible freedom as a human race,' he added.

'To suggest God might intervene to protect us from the corporate folly of our practices is as unchristian as to suggest that he protects us from our individual sin.'

Without change, the world faced the 'ultimate tragedy' of humanity gradually 'choked, drowned or starved by its own stupidity', he argued.

Dr Williams often speaks out on social and political issues and is critical of consumerism.

Yesterday, in a lecture at York Minster, he set out a Christian argument for preserving the environment.

He attacked the view that the Old Testament reference to humans having 'dominion' justified exploiting the Earth.

Instead, humanity was given the chance to cultivate the Garden of Eden, Dr Williams claimed.

The Archbishop said government policies and redefined business priorities could encourage people and companies to be greener.

Dr Williams added: 'An economic world in which environmental responsibility was rewarded would have a very different flavour from what we have generally seen for most of the last couple of centuries.'
http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.htm ... page_id=34

My first thought upon reading this was... "Hang on clown dude, does that mean god is willing to punish and murder millions of innocent people who've played no direct part in the West's 'corporate folly'? Does it mean that the poor of the world will suffer and die while the rich will take advantage of their position and survive the famines and wars that global warming may bring?
For information on ways to help support Rationalia financially, see our funding page.

When the aliens do come, everything we once thought was cool will then make us ashamed.

devogue

Re: Archbishop: God will not save planet

Post by devogue » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:03 am

You forget, Pappa, that these despicable cunts have an answer for everything.

Those who profit here will get fuck all in heaven, and vice versa.

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist

Post by Pappa » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:40 am

Sometimes, Dr Rowan Williams makes me so angry I want to start a civil holy war to overthrow the Anglican Church forever, round up it's bishops and ram spikes up their arses and deep into their bodies. Let the ravens pluck out their eyes while they still barely breathe and have dogs feed on their intestines that have been spilled on the floor out of their slashed open abdomens. Then I'd do the Roman Catholic church.
For information on ways to help support Rationalia financially, see our funding page.

When the aliens do come, everything we once thought was cool will then make us ashamed.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:51 am

Talk about stating the obvious :roll:

Atheists have been saying that for years.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist

Post by Pappa » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:57 am

Animavore wrote:Talk about stating the obvious :roll:

Atheists have been saying that for years.
Is it his long-winded way of saying, "Prayer doesn't work."?

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:02 am

I hate long-windedness. Why call him a self-righteous, delusional, contradictory, society-damaging, imbecilic, incontinent, ignoramus when calling him a prick will suffice?
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Mickey
Pauline's Monkey

Post by Mickey » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:04 am

Pappa wrote:Sometimes, Dr Rowan Williams makes me so angry I want to start a civil holy war to overthrow the Anglican Church forever, round up it's bishops and ram spikes up their arses and deep into their bodies. Let the ravens pluck out their eyes while they still barely breathe and have dogs feed on their intestines that have been spilled on the floor out of their slashed open abdomens. Then I'd do the Roman Catholic church.
Makes mental note: "Never get Pappa really riled"

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:29 am

What good is the fucker, then?
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:40 pm

It sounds to me like the bish is talking about a non-interventionist god here - could we have a deist in Lambeth Palace? :hum:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist

Post by Pappa » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:51 pm

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:It sounds to me like the bish is talking about a non-interventionist god here - could we have a deist in Lambeth Palace? :hum:
I think he's already said as such. He says the Bible is metaphor and all sorts of similar things. I'd call him a backpedaler, but he has such powerful conviction in his extremely nebulous and ill-defined beliefs.

Having tried to read one of his speeches once (the one about Sharia law in Britain), he seems to think like the archetypal theologian.

(What the fuck is wrong with me lately... first linguistic rubric now this? I'm scared some of you might start thinking I have a brain secreted inside my head.)

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:53 pm

Pappa wrote:Sometimes, Dr Rowan Williams makes me so angry I want to start a civil holy war to overthrow the Anglican Church forever, round up it's bishops and ram spikes up their arses and deep into their bodies. Let the ravens pluck out their eyes while they still barely breathe and have dogs feed on their intestines that have been spilled on the floor out of their slashed open abdomens. Then I'd do the Roman Catholic church.
That's just so typical of you atheists. If you were a christian, you'd have these words of THE SON OF THE LORD, OUR SAVIOUR in mind. Look! Jesus said: "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do." (Luke 23:34)

You atheists make me so angry I want to start a holy war to round the lot of you up and ram spikes up your arses and deep into your bodies. Let the ravens pluck out your eyes while you still barely breathe and have dogs feed on your intestines that have been spilled on the floor out of their slashed open abdomens. Then I'd do the agnostics.

And I am right, for GOD is on my side. Look! Jesus said: "But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me." (Luke 19:27)

Isn't it wonderful how one can cherrypick from "holy books" to suit one's need?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist

Post by Pappa » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:07 pm

Seraph wrote:Isn't it wonderful how one can cherrypick from "holy books" to suit one's need?
I wish there were things in my Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster to cherry pick that would allow me to justify murdering thousands of Christians. Alas not. :(

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:36 pm

Pappa wrote:
Seraph wrote:Isn't it wonderful how one can cherrypick from "holy books" to suit one's need?
I wish there were things in my Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster to cherry pick that would allow me to justify murdering thousands of Christians. Alas not. :(
So rewrite it. That's allowed. Obviously.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist

Post by Pappa » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:55 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
Pappa wrote:
So rewrite it. That's allowed. Obviously.
Cool. :mrgreen:

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks
About me: I'm having trouble with the trolley.

Post by tattuchu » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:46 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:What good is the fucker, then?
That was my thought. Of what use is this god? He certainly doesn't seem to do much of anything, anything at all.
People think "queue" is just "q" followed by 4 silent letters.

But those letters are not silent.

They're just waiting their turn.