Israel/Palestine Thread Part XXX

Lucy Wiggin

Re: Israel/Palestine Thread Part XXX

Post by Lucy Wiggin » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:35 am

secularist wrote:
Valden wrote: Actually because Palestinians are Semitic, the term anti-Semitic can be applied to them as well. It's just normally applied to only Jews. However, they don't have a monopoly over how the term is used, and can't claim that is can be applied to only them.

And so anyone who's racist towards Palestinians is also anti-Semitic.
this is off topic but you are wrong.
The term anti semitic has definition and it has nothing with monopoly but with the definition of word.

It doesn't talk about semitic generally but about Jews specifically.
The whole "The Jews stole a word!!!11" is getting more ridiculous by the day.
With the demise of the forums and the defection of the moderators, it's is time to say our last words.

Lucy Wiggins: I don't like you. I think that you are a racist bitch with a victim complex and is narcissistic.

-R.I.P
Gawd
Forum Member

anthonzi

Post by anthonzi » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:16 pm

Subscribing to epic nostalgia thread.

Valden
About me: Once upon a time...

Post by Valden » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:16 pm

secularist wrote:
Valden wrote: Actually because Palestinians are Semitic, the term anti-Semitic can be applied to them as well. It's just normally applied to only Jews. However, they don't have a monopoly over how the term is used, and can't claim that is can be applied to only them.

The term anti semitic has definition and it has nothing with monopoly but with the definition of word.

And that is simply incorrect. It really is a monopoly, in an attempt to scream "Anti-Semitism!" whenever someone criticizes Israel or someone who is Jewish.
The term "anti-Semitic" has been used on occasion to include bigotry against other Semitic-language peoples such as Arabs, but such usage is often rooted in political purposes and is discouraged by language authorities.
Case in point. They don't like it when someone uses the term when referring to a non Jew (or not Israel in general) even though it's perfectly legitimate to use it as such. And so I will be, whenever someone criticizes someone of a Semitic background (That includes Jews btw) because I also know it gets on some folks nerves, to have one of their favorite silencing tactics used against them.

Some use it as an attempt to silence any criticism of Jews (or Israel in general) and I wont fall for it anymore. :td:

Lucy Wiggin

Post by Lucy Wiggin » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:13 am

From now on we're calling anti-Semitism Baruch.
With the demise of the forums and the defection of the moderators, it's is time to say our last words.

Lucy Wiggins: I don't like you. I think that you are a racist bitch with a victim complex and is narcissistic.

-R.I.P
Gawd
Forum Member

Martok

Post by Martok » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:01 am

Valden wrote:It really is a monopoly, in an attempt to scream "Anti-Semitism!" whenever someone criticizes Israel or someone who is Jewish.
Maybe those who relentlessly criticize Israel should come up with better arguments.

Valden
About me: Once upon a time...

Post by Valden » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:56 am

Martok wrote:
Valden wrote:It really is a monopoly, in an attempt to scream "Anti-Semitism!" whenever someone criticizes Israel or someone who is Jewish.
Maybe those who relentlessly criticize Israel should come up with better arguments.
There are plenty of fantastic arguments against Israel, just as there are plenty of fantastic arguments against Palestine and other countries. Screeching "anti-Semitic!" just because you don't agree with the other person, especially when they're not actually being anti-Semitic, is just down right stupid.

Of course once I notice that's happening, I ignore the other fool. :biggrin: They lost their chance to be taken seriously.
It's those that screech "anti-Semitic/Semitism" when they lack argument, that should come up with a better way to deal with criticism of Israel. It's not very effective, considering how easy it is to use against them. :hehe:

secularist

Post by secularist » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:28 pm

Valden wrote:
secularist wrote:

And that is simply incorrect. It really is a monopoly, in an attempt to scream "Anti-Semitism!" whenever someone criticizes Israel or someone who is Jewish.
well it is very correct.
Go to the dictionary and check the definition of the word.

And while you are right that it is wrong to say anti semitic to everyone that criticize Israel, it is O.K. if the one is anti semitic.

Lucy Wiggin

Post by Lucy Wiggin » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:30 pm

Is the homophobic crowd going to demand we won't use 'gay' for LGBT people anymore? Or that Atheists won't call themselves Brights?
nd while you are right that it is wrong to say anti semitic to everyone that criticize Israel, it is O.K. if the one is anti semitic.
It's kind of insurance: I say in advance people are going to call me anti-Semitic, then I can say whatever I want without being criticized.

-R.I.P
Gawd
Forum Member

Martok

Post by Martok » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:45 pm

Valden wrote: There are plenty of fantastic arguments against Israel,
We do see things differently. I've read 9 years worth of arguments against Israel on various boards and the vast majority of them are utter crap.

Oh well.

Lucy Wiggin

Post by Lucy Wiggin » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:49 pm

Martok wrote:
Valden wrote: There are plenty of fantastic arguments against Israel,
We do see things differently. I've read 9 years worth of arguments against Israel on various boards and the vast majority of them are utter crap.

Oh well.
There's definitely some true criticism against Israel, but there is true criticism against the U.S., the UK, etc. etc. However, I don't consider arguments against the very existence of Israel to be legitimate.

-R.I.P
Gawd
Forum Member

Mr. Olaudah Equiano

Post by Mr. Olaudah Equiano » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:36 am

hey ! ........... it's ms. lucy wiggins!! :td:

**someone pls be sure to thank mr. gallstones for banishing me from that other ex-dawkins forum, I might never have stumbled in here if not for that guy.
    • :toot:

ms. Lucy..... they were trying to start-up some ‘Israel V everyone else’ threads w/o you. But they seem to run out of momentum after only one page or two if there's no zionist joos or israelis around to debate them (I guess its only those people's opinions that really matter to the critics.... what a bunch of picky fault finders & snobbly elitists).

Mr. Olaudah Equiano

Post by Mr. Olaudah Equiano » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:53 am

Valden wrote:
Case in point. They don't like it when someone uses the term when referring to a non Jew (or not Israel in general) even though it's perfectly legitimate to use it as such. And so I will be, whenever someone criticizes someone of a Semitic background (That includes Jews btw) because I also know it gets on some folks nerves, to have one of their favorite silencing tactics used against them.

Some use it as an attempt to silence any criticism of Jews (or Israel in general) and I wont fall for it anymore. :td:

ohm, ok.... if we accept your broadened definition of ‘anti-semite’ -- wouldn't that make the tanukh/torah/whatever an “anti-semitic” religious text because of what their god told the Israelites to do to the other semites like the Canaanites?

*edit: Hey, btw, that gives me an idea: how about we start calling Iranians “aryan supremacists” - at least until they admit openly that the persians did not ‘invent culture’ and do not own the copy rights to civilization.

anthonzi

Post by anthonzi » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:55 am

Mr. Olaudah Equiano wrote:hey ! ........... it's ms. lucy wiggins!! :td:

**someone pls be sure to thank mr. gallstones for banishing me from that other ex-dawkins forum, I might never have stumbled in here if not for that guy.
    • :toot:

ms. Lucy..... they were trying to start-up some ‘Israel V everyone else’ threads w/o you. But they seem to run out of momentum after only one page or two if there's no zionist joos or israelis around to debate them (I guess its only those people's opinions that really matter to the critics.... what a bunch of picky fault finders & snobbly elitists).
:biggrin: I should really check out the ratskep thread and go say hello to good ol' Gallstones.

Mr. Olaudah Equiano

Post by Mr. Olaudah Equiano » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:58 am

Gawd wrote:
Virus wrote:
Gawd wrote: "Terrorists"? Oh, you must mean the IDF and Israel that desires to wipe out Palestinian civilians and land grab what they don't have.
The land-grabbing is done by crackpot factions that don't always work in lock-step with the government and the government has never stated a desire to wipe out all Palestinians.
1400 murdered Palestinians civilians in the Gaza Massacre and deliberate use of white phosphorous to BURN many others alive say otherwise.

They are speaking to you from beyond the grave?? :hilarious: .... Are you really Gawd? :cheers:

Mr. Olaudah Equiano

Post by Mr. Olaudah Equiano » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:18 am

Valden wrote: And so anyone who's racist towards Palestinians is also anti-Semitic.

wait.... this is really comfoosing.

What if I get sort of sexually aroused by the sound of spoken arabic, but hate the angular aesthetics of the hebrew alphabet and sometimes throw epileptic like tantrums at the sight of their right<--left/completely assbackwards, stick-figurish, written language? .... (*or vis-a-versa.)

would that make me a semitophile or an anti-semite? (or both maybe?) :ask: