Killed by a natural remedy.

AshtonBlack
Tech Monkey
Tech Monkey

Killed by a natural remedy.

Post by AshtonBlack » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:52 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8520171.stm
:nono:
(I feel for the poor woman, but still. Idiot.)

10 Fuck Off
20 GOTO 10
Ashton Black wrote:"Dogma is the enemy, not religion, per se. Rationality, genuine empathy and intellectual integrity are anathema to dogma."

leo-rcc
Robo-Warrior
About me: Combat robot builder

Re: Killed by a natural remedy.

Post by leo-rcc » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:55 pm

Auto Darwination at work.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
My combat robot site: http://www.team-rcc.org
My other favorite atheist forum: http://www.atheistforums.org

Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you

Feck

Post by Feck » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:57 pm

At least it was a plant remedy not body parts of endangered animal species or bear extract.
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

AshtonBlack
Tech Monkey
Tech Monkey

Post by AshtonBlack » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:58 pm

Feck wrote:At least it was a plant remedy not body parts of endangered animal species or bear extract.
Rare shark spleen. :nono:

10 Fuck Off
20 GOTO 10
Ashton Black wrote:"Dogma is the enemy, not religion, per se. Rationality, genuine empathy and intellectual integrity are anathema to dogma."

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:09 pm

I used to run a Traditional Chinese Medicine shop (from 2002 to 2004) and I was acutely aware that aristolochia extracts were poisonous and banned and I made sure that my Chinese staff were also aware. There is no excuse for ignorance in this area of expertise because there are regulations, both UK and EU, that define which Traditional Medicines may be permitted to be sold without prescription. Aristolochia is not one of them! It was banned in 1999. See here.

However, in defence of the practitioner, the listed ingredients on the bottle of pills for Xie Gan Wan does not include aristolochia, which would suggest that it was a contaminant, either accidental or deliberate, by an unregulated supplier outside the EU. But that does not totally excuse her since the pills were obviously sourced from such an unregulated supplier or personally imported from China and then sold as the shop stock (this is not an uncommon practice).
Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power - Eric Hoffer.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.