Christian bus advert draws more than 1,000 complaints

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist
About me: I am sacrificing a turnip as I type.

Christian bus advert draws more than 1,000 complaints

Post by Pappa » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:33 am

Christian party advert draws more than 1,000 complaints

Response to humanists' bus campaign is fourth most criticised ad of all time, says watchdog.

The advertising watchdog has decided not to launch a formal investigation into a controversial advertisement from the Christian party proclaiming that "there is definitely a God", even though it has become one of the four most criticised adverts of all time.

The advertisement was unveiled by the party last month in response to the British Humanist Association's bus adverts, which state: "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life." The Christian party's advert – displayed on 50 London buses – carries the slogan: "There definitely is a God. So join the Christian party and enjoy your life."

Figures from the Advertising Standards Authority reveal that the advertisement has so far attracted 1,045 complaints – and rising – making it the fourth most complained about advert since the ASA's records began. But it has decided not to launch an investigation because the poster is deemed to be 'electioneering material', and falls outside the remit of its codes of practice.

The ASA says it has been deluged with complaints since the beginning of the year, indicating the extent to which advertising has become the latest battleground between conflicting ideologies. Last month the Christian party's London headquarters were vandalised in an attack which police believe was a religious hate crime.

A spokesman for the ASA said today: "We will not be investigating the Christian party advert. We do not play the numbers game, it is about measuring the complaints against the advertising codes and judging whether or not there appear to be a problem under the rules." He said the Christian party ad was not investigated because the primary purpose of the poster was to promote the party.

"The advert was electioneering material as defined by clause 12.1 and therefore not subject to the code." The clauses states: "Any advertisement or direct marketing communication, whenever published or distributed, whose principal function is to influence voters in local, regional, national or international elections or referendums is exempt from the Code."

In January the ASA concluded that the aetheist "There's probably no God" bus ad campaign by the British Humanist Association did not breach the current advertising code and again decided not to launch an investigation.

That advert attracted 326 complaints, some complaining that the ad was offensive and denigratory to people of faith. Others challenged whether the advert was misleading because the advertiser would not be able to substantiate its claim that God "probably" does not exist. The ASA council concluded that the ad was an expression of the advertiser's opinion and that the claims in it were not capable of objective substantiation. Although it acknowledged that the content of the ad would be at odds with the beliefs of many, it concluded that it was unlikely to mislead or to cause serious or widespread offence.

People complaining about the Christian party advert believe the claim "there definitely is a God" is misleading because it cannot be substantiated, while some individuals have also objected that the advert is offensive to atheists. But the ASA spokesman said that even if the advert had fallen within the remit of its code, it was unlikely it would have investigated because of its decision not to investigate the aetheist bus campaign. The codes are being reviewed to streamline them and a public consultation is expected to be launched before the end of the month.

The ASA has also decided not to investigate two other advertising campaigns of a similar nature. An advertisement from the Russian Orthodox Church that stated "There IS a God, BELIEVE. Don't worry and enjoy your life" was, the ASA council considered, a reflection of the opinion of the advertisers and unlikely to mislead readers.

Similarly, the Trinitarian Bible Society's ad that claimed "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 53.1 " generated complaints that it was offensive and was insulting to atheists and non-Christians. Some also objected that the ad was misleading because it implied that God exists.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/ma ... complaints
For information on ways to help support Rationalia financially, see our funding page.

When the aliens do come, everything we once thought was cool will then make us ashamed.

charlou
arseist

Re: Christian bus advert draws more than 1,000 complaints

Post by charlou » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:38 am

I'll walk thanks. :nono:
no fences

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:40 am

:doh:
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:41 am

Have you ever been to a xtian party? There's nothing to enjoy! No booze, no dope, no shagging - just tambourines and wankers. :nono:

Oh, not that kind of party... I'll get my coat. :shifty:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:37 pm

Atheist: "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."
Christian: "That is offensive and denigratory to people of faith."

Christian: "There definitely is a God. So join the Christian party and enjoy your life."
Atheist: "That is offensive to atheists."

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Feck

Post by Feck » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:43 pm

Just put messages from either side (of the arguement ) on either side of the bus.
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

Chinaski
Mazel tov cocktail
About me: Barfly

Post by Chinaski » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:55 pm

The difference is that the atheist adverts are expressing a possibility and inspiring people to think. The Christian adverts are expressing an absolutist dogma.
Is there for honest poverty
That hangs his heid and a' that
The coward slave, we pass him by
We dare be puir for a' that.

Imagehttp://imagegen.last.fm/iTunesFIXED/rec ... mphony.gif[/img2]

Thor

Post by Thor » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:05 pm

FrigidSymphony wrote:The difference is that the atheist adverts are expressing a possibility and inspiring people to think. The Christian adverts are expressing an absolutist dogma.
Unfortunately, they can get away with it. As a political party, they are not covered by the ASA's remit. :nono:

Chinaski
Mazel tov cocktail
About me: Barfly

Post by Chinaski » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:07 pm

What are the ASA's rules anyway?
Is there for honest poverty
That hangs his heid and a' that
The coward slave, we pass him by
We dare be puir for a' that.

Imagehttp://imagegen.last.fm/iTunesFIXED/rec ... mphony.gif[/img2]

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist
About me: I am sacrificing a turnip as I type.

Post by Pappa » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:56 pm

FrigidSymphony wrote:What are the ASA's rules anyway?
Essentially, that claims much be backed up by evidence and that outright lies are out, but they don't cover political advertising at all.
The main principles of the codes are:

* Advertisements should not mislead
* Advertisements should not cause serious or widespread offence
* Advertisements should not cause harm
* Advertisements should be socially responsible
* Advertisements should have regard for the principles of fair competition
http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/adcampaign/rules.htm
For information on ways to help support Rationalia financially, see our funding page.

When the aliens do come, everything we once thought was cool will then make us ashamed.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:08 am

FrigidSymphony wrote:The difference is that the atheist adverts are expressing a possibility and inspiring people to think. The Christian adverts are expressing an absolutist dogma.
Very true!

(even though I would be happy to see the definitely bit on the atheist bus... :shifty: )
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Trolldor
Gargling with Nails

Post by Trolldor » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:10 am

I hate both of them.

If you've got an atheist advert, it should say:

Join your local atheist society.
Or not.
Choice is bitchin'
"The fact is that far more crime and child abuse has been committed by zealots in the name of God, Jesus and Mohammed than has ever been committed in the name of Satan. Many people don't like that statement but few can argue with it."

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:17 am

born-again-atheist wrote:I hate both of them.

Or not.
Choice is bitchin'
I would prefer:

"Your religion is your own private delusion.

Stop shoving it in my face..."
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Geoff
Pouncer

Post by Geoff » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:21 am

JimC wrote:
born-again-atheist wrote:I hate both of them.

Or not.
Choice is bitchin'
I would prefer:

"Your religion is your own private delusion.

Stop shoving it in my face..."
I like that one! :tup:
"...anyone who says it’s “just the Internet” can :pawiz: . And then when they come back, they can :pawiz: again." - Tigger

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:50 am

"Don't pray in my school and I won't think in your church."

:Erasb:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould