Critical Race Theory

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Critical Race Theory

Post by rainbow » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:03 am

Can anyone explain this to me?

Surely anyone exhibiting racist attitudes has already been eliminated?

Whatever happened to the Revolution?
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:06 am

You can read the real truth about it here.
ibid wrote:... Critical race theory is an academic discipline, formulated in the 1990s, built on the intellectual framework of identity-based Marxism. Relegated for many years to universities and obscure academic journals, over the past decade it has increasingly become the default ideology in our public institutions. It has been injected into government agencies, public school systems, teacher training programs, and corporate human resources departments in the form of diversity training programs, human resources modules, public policy frameworks, and school curricula.

There are a series of euphemisms deployed by its supporters to describe critical race theory, including “equity,” “social justice,” “diversity and inclusion,” and “culturally responsive teaching.” Critical race theorists, masters of language construction, realize that “neo-Marxism” would be a hard sell. Equity, on the other hand, sounds non-threatening and is easily confused with the American principle of equality. But the distinction is vast and important. Indeed, equality—the principle proclaimed in the Declaration of Independence, defended in the Civil War, and codified into law with the 14th and 15th Amendments, the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and the Voting Rights Act of 1965—is explicitly rejected by critical race theorists. To them, equality represents “mere nondiscrimination” and provides “camouflage” for white supremacy, patriarchy, and oppression. ...
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:08 am

It basically means the problem of racism today aren't the small number of real racists but the problem of systemic racism in the dynamics of complex societies.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:40 am

No no no! CRT is teaching our kids to feel sad and hate themselves. We have to think of the kiddies!
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:43 am

We should invite superuniverse into this thread. After all, CRT is based on Critical Theory of which Herbert Marcuse is one of the founders.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:04 am

NineBerry wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:08 am
It basically means the problem of racism today aren't the small number of real racists but the problem of systemic racism in the dynamics of complex societies.
In the view of the author quoted above, critical race theory "is little more than reformulated Marxism". "...identity is the means and Marxism is the end."

Not only is it a dangerous ideology, it has also spread its tentacles into all vital organs of American society. "...it is fast achieving “cultural hegemony” in America’s public institutions." "...it has increasingly become the default ideology in our public institutions. It has been injected into government agencies, public school systems, teacher training programs, and corporate human resources departments in the form of diversity training programs, human resources modules, public policy frameworks, and school curricula." And American patriots are too scared to speak out against it because critical race theorists are enormously powerful and oppressive.
According to a recent Gallup poll, 77 percent of conservatives are afraid to share their political beliefs publicly. Worried about getting mobbed on social media, fired from their jobs, or worse, they remain quiet, largely ceding the public debate to those pushing these anti-American ideologies. Consequently, the institutions themselves become monocultures: dogmatic, suspicious, and hostile to a diversity of opinion. Conservatives in both the federal government and public school systems have told me that their “equity and inclusion” departments serve as political offices, searching for and stamping out any dissent from the official orthodoxy.
But it can be defeated! "Truth and justice are on our side. If we can muster the courage, we will win."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:18 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:06 am
You can read the real truth about it here.
That seems to be an ultra-rightwing view, quite thin on facts:
Above all, we must have courage—the fundamental virtue required in our time. Courage to stand and speak the truth. Courage to withstand epithets. Courage to face the mob. Courage to shrug off the scorn of the elites. When enough of us overcome the fear that currently prevents so many from speaking out, the hold of critical race theory will begin to slip. And courage begets courage. It’s easy to stop a lone dissenter; it’s much harder to stop 10, 20, 100, 1,000, 1,000,000, or more who stand up together for the principles of America.

Truth and justice are on our side. If we can muster the courage, we will win.
I'd like a more objective definition.

If we reject "Race" as a social construct, the how does this Theory work?
BArF−4

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:28 am

Since Critical Theory deals with society, social constructs are very relevant.

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:57 am

NineBerry wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:08 am
Systemic racism is real even if "Race" itself is bollocks. People have innate prejudices, often learnt and exploited by those on the extremes of the political spectra.

There is the example of people of similar background, may discriminate against each other.
For instance in your native Chermany, a boss from Hamburg may not employ a Bavarian because they are uncouth and cook their Eisbein in the wrong way. Does the institution dictate these prejudices, or are they a natural result of small mindedness?
BArF−4

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:17 pm

CRT argues that the problem is not prejudice but systematic processes that are independent of individual behaviors in the same way that Critical Theory argues that the problem of captialism is not greedy people but systematic mechanisms.

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:52 pm

NineBerry wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:17 pm
CRT argues that the problem is not prejudice but systematic processes that are independent of individual behaviors in the same way that Critical Theory argues that the problem of captialism is not greedy people but systematic mechanisms.
Fairy Nuff, but is there a conscious effort to create these mechanisms, or are they a result of the natural human condition?
BArF−4

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:01 pm

NineBerry wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:17 pm
Systematic processes are not independent of individual behaviours. They are interdependent. They reinforce and perpetuate each other. That said, I regard systems as dominant. They create, trap and petrify attitudes, which in turn determine patterns of behaviours.

If you ignore the role of individual behaviour you miss out on the chance of changing systematic processes. Change cannot be brought about without suitable education, aka consciousness raising. That is precisely why conservatives are fighting so hard to keep critical theory out of school syllabi. They know that if taught successfully it will actually change things.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:57 pm

It's the vrot egg from which hatched Intolerant Wokeness.

I am, perhaps predictably, unimpressed with both it's content and effects. Probably why I'm likely moving to Alabama, where race relations are great and everyone is polite.

How y'all this fine morning?
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:28 pm

How y'all this fine morning?
Still white I'm afraid.

--//--

Where is this critical race theory taught in the way conservatives worry about?

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:58 pm

e.g. how about a sample problematic lesson plan.

Can we get that much at least? Without examples I'm going to assume our schools don't actually resemble a Black Hebrew Israelites meeting, or Seabass's living room.