Critical Race Theory

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by rainbow » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:00 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:38 pm
I would definitely criticize the vagueness in key places and ask for a lot of practical examples --theory vs practice.

But yeah, a right winger could easily lose themselves here. --death of the individual :biggrin:
The Left are their own worst enemy. Critical Race Theory, indeed!
Not a snappy slogan that the masses can follow, least of all understand - so here they create a wonderful opportunity for Puckered and the Illinios Nazis to grab onto.

How about "Make America Fair", "Opportunities for all Americans", Justice and Respect for All"

...much more difficult for Faux News to mangle and call Communisk.
No so?
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:33 am

rainbow wrote:
Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:38 pm
I would definitely criticize the vagueness in key places and ask for a lot of practical examples --theory vs practice.

But yeah, a right winger could easily lose themselves here. --death of the individual Image
The Left are their own worst enemy. Critical Race Theory, indeed!
Not a snappy slogan that the masses can follow, least of all understand - so here they create a wonderful opportunity for Puckered and the Illinios Nazis to grab onto.

How about "Make America Fair", "Opportunities for all Americans", Justice and Respect for All"

...much more difficult for Faux News to mangle and call Communisk.
No so?
It doesn't matter what it's called the right will still misrepresent and strawman it.

"The radical left are pushing their so-called Respect Agenda in Congress again, a Marxist theory which demands that Black people be given more respect and help from the state than ordinary, patriotic Americans..." etc etc.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:32 am

I partly disagree, Brian. The right would certainly try to attack any reasonable attempt to make clear the historical burden of racism, but the academic tones of "critical race theory" resonate with an anti-elite, anti-education theme quite well. A more benign title would give them less opportunity, IMO...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:49 am

JimC wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:32 am
I partly disagree, Brian. The right would certainly try to attack any reasonable attempt to make clear the historical burden of racism, but the academic tones of "critical race theory" resonate with an anti-elite, anti-education theme quite well. A more benign title would give them less opportunity, IMO...
Wot I sed, only you done it better :cuddle:
BArF−4

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:10 am

JimC wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:32 am
When the term 'critical race theory' became a term adopted among academics in the mid 1970s, it was generally positively regarded as worthwhile field to study. Opprobrium to the very expression only began when conservatives became feral and rabid pack of dogs. I'd give it a pass on historical grounds.

The expression 'defund the police' is different. It's an idiotic way of describing an intent. Defunding means emasculation. Defunding the education or the health sector means having less of it. Defunding the police is not meant to have less law enforcement. It is aimed at relieving the police from their roles external to enforcing the law, which would let it focus on precisely that which it was originally established to do. Nobody needs another paramilitary organisation and much of its work is better accomplished by diverting funds to mental health and education. The expression 'defund the police' is about as effective a label to obscure its intent as one can get.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:42 am

JimC wrote:I partly disagree, Brian. The right would certainly try to attack any reasonable attempt to make clear the historical burden of racism, but the academic tones of "critical race theory" resonate with an anti-elite, anti-education theme quite well. A more benign title would give them less opportunity, IMO...
The 'academic tone' of CRT as a label is exactly why the right have alighted on it as a handy pejorative catchall, but their definition of it bears no relation to its use within an academic context. If it hadn't been CRT it would simply have been something else, and there's no way legal scholars of the 70s could possibly have second-guessed how the neoliberal and/or white nationalist spin machine would deploy the term 50 odd years later.

I feel we must avoid buying into the term as it is defined and used by the right lest we fall into having 'the debate' within their preferred context alone. Not only does CRT not mean what they say it neans but what they claim the term represents isn't truthful, nor does it honestly reflect the actual state of things either.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:18 pm

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:18 am
Joe wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:46 pm
I don't know what it is, but it came from a Wuhan lab. :hairfire: :zombie: :hairfire:
:rimshot: On a second reading, this got a genuine snort of amusement. :td:
Please consider it a small token of gratitude for the amusement I got from "butthurt masked by sneering." :cheers:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:00 pm

Critical Race Theory has become the right wing’s new boogeyman, but no one seems to know how to even define it. Leading scholar Professor Kimberlé Crenshaw and producer CJ Hunt join host Roy Wood Jr. to break down what CRT actually is, why it’s necessary, and how ignoring the blowback could endanger years of progress.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:43 pm

BArF−4

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:31 am

In this contribution, we will problematise the use of the concept ‘race’ as a category of social analysis and commentary as it is used by academics, government, other social analysts and commentators. We argue that the concept has regrettably continued to be used in a cavalier way in political, social and educational studies to ‘explain’ matters in ways that are reminiscent of apartheid ‘science’. While the concept of race is critically important for understanding the impact and effects of the strategies, policies and practices of racist states on individuals, communities and societies globally, and for thinking about the socio-political effects of racism, discussions about race are often trapped in ideas that have the effect of extending the very consequences which the struggles against racism sought to eradicate. Such approaches to the concept of race are insouciant about the potential for deepening the racist vocabularies, the metaphors, descriptions and stereotypes prevalent in the racist categories employed by the apartheid state and its ideologues. While racism remains highly prevalent and visible, it is critically important that the complexities of the use of race be recognised so that its usages do not have the effect of promoting those very racist political and economic systems and the discourses and practices associated with them. Explanations that use race as an analytical category need to ensure that they do not provide the justification for the ideologies and power of racist systems.

https://www.academia.edu/36911699/Troub ... view-paper
BArF−4

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:15 am

Sounds like a high-falutin' way of expressing what that dope Morgan Freeman said - to stop racism, stop talking about it.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:21 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:15 am
Sounds like a high-falutin' way of expressing what that dope Morgan Freeman said - to stop racism, stop talking about it.
Also Trevor Noah, but a message less given to the Merkins than the Sefficans.
BArF−4

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:01 pm

macdoc wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:59 pm
Talk about bigotry all you want ...continuing the myth that there are human races just plays into the agenda and gets tiresome.
Freeman is correct
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:12 pm

macdoc wrote:
macdoc wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:59 pm
Talk about bigotry all you want ...continuing the myth that there are human races just plays into the agenda and gets tiresome.
Freeman is correct
How does one talk about the bigotry that is racism without acknowledging that some people think race is a real thing? What do you think would be the impact on people and policy if your tone policing was put into action?

Frank Zappa

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:28 pm

Yeah, I want to know how this approach works in the real world. People who opposes racism just stop talking about racism, and then what, racists all forget that they're racist?

Are there any real world examples of this actually working?

Not talking about racism didn't free the slaves. Not talking abut racism didn't give black Americans the franchise. Not talking about racism didn't get the Civil Rights acts passed. Not talking about racism didn't end segregation laws in the US.

I can't imagine that people will stop talking about racism so long as racists still exist.

The Morgan Freeman theory blames racism on anti-racists instead of racists. It's silly. Are there people who actually believe that racist policing will end if anti-racist activists just stop protesting and instead politely inform police that race doesn't exist?
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka