Racism Drained the Pool

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Racism Drained the Pool

Post by JimC » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:43 am

My take?

Humans, for excellent evolutionary reasons, are both selfish and compassionate, greedy and altruistic, aggressive and loving. The power structures of any given society, plus its history and educational systems all affect the proportions of those tendencies which on average dominate...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:55 am

Seabass wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:38 am
John Oliver covers one form of systemic racism in the US this week. Perhaps since Cunt has trouble reading, he might be willing to watch a video instead.
John Oliver breaks down the long history of housing discrimination in the U.S., the damage it’s done, and, crucially, what we can do about it.
Our member from Yellowknife can't watch videos either - unless they feature Crowder, Pool, Doctor Evolutionary Biologist or any other right wing pundit whose views harmonise with his own.

Admittedly, this particular channel does throw up a very real barrier: geoblocking. I have to pretend that I am located in the US to view it, and it is blocked in Canada as well.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:31 am

Seabass wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:04 am
I guess my point is that I'm not ready to absolve the working classes of all guilt. At the end of the day, they still outnumber the rich fuckers, so in a democracy, they bear some responsibility for this mess. Some of the anarchy is in fact coming from the poor.
To some degree the responsibility of the electorate rests not only on prevailing democratic principles but on how those principles are put into practice, that is; on how a democracy actually functions. All democratic systems are flawed to some extent, but some are clearly more flawed than others. I would argue that the more flawed democratic systems are the less responsibility the electorate generally bear - though this is not to suggest that individual voters who endorse malign politicians and malignant policies are absolved of some portion of personal responsibility for their opinions or the expression thereof.

I'm interested in where these kinds of beliefs and opinions arise, who promotes the ideas that back them, and in whose interests are they propagated, framed, and/or amplified within the public sphere. My view is that the anti-government sentiment of the anarchic Right which focus primarily on the effective defunding of government, limiting the reach or scope of rights, regulations, or other protections, and the denuding of public resources, is one which is fundamentally detrimental to the broader public goods upon which we all rely, and ultimately adverse to the interests of those among the electorate who have been convinced to champion the anti-government cause themselves (again, don't get me wrong here: I'm not a champion of greater or more extensive government intervention for it's own sake - the oft-cited strawman description of those who oppose the concern trolling of the anarchic right. This is not a simple choice between totalitarianism from the Left vs freedum! from the Right.).
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:34 am

JimC wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:43 am
My take?

Humans, for excellent evolutionary reasons, are both selfish and compassionate, greedy and altruistic, aggressive and loving. The power structures of any given society, plus its history and educational systems all affect the proportions of those tendencies which on average dominate...
Hippy!! :lay:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:38 pm

I don't disagree with you, Brian. I just felt like that quote put all the blame on the rich, and none on the poor, and I don't think it's that simple.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:29 am

[Heather] McGhee discusses her powerful book, The Sum of Us, about how white people have been told that anything that benefits people of color hurts them - i.e. a zero-sum game. It ain't true!
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:36 pm

Ah, I miss Al Franken. I'll have to check out McGhee's book.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:11 pm

Zimbabweans of a pale variety decided that they could keep their clubs "white" by insisting on a "swimmers only" policy. They believed that darker Zimbabweans couldn't swim. Their ignorance proved that this wasn't a good move.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:30 pm

GOP: Darkies don't vote for us, but rather than making our party more appealing to them, we'll just destroy democracy instead!