Palestine v Israel.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: Palestine v Israel.

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun May 16, 2021 10:08 am

The trouble is it is not about ownership or occupancy of land but purely about Netanyahu's ego and his position on the extreme right wing. He knows he can score anytime by attacking Hamas in Gaza. Everything will be reduced to rubble so the Palestinians can start all over again. So the cycle can continue.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun May 16, 2021 10:10 am

I think the long and tragic history of the region disproves the claim that this is all down to Netanyahu.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun May 16, 2021 10:16 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 10:10 am
I think the long and tragic history of the region disproves the claim that this is all down to Netanyahu.
It is not all down to him but he doing is what many Israeli leaders have done in past when they feel power is slipping out their hands; play the Gaza card.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun May 16, 2021 10:21 am

Yeah, the right-wing do like to throw their weight around - preferably to bully someone who can't bite back.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun May 16, 2021 10:34 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 10:21 am
Yeah, the right-wing do like to throw their weight around - preferably to bully someone who can't bite back.
It has been that way since the founding of the Israeli state. The Israeli government has never really controlled the religious right wing. They are a state within a state.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sun May 16, 2021 12:19 pm

aufbahrung wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 10:06 am
Ownership backed up with nukes is 9 and half tenths of the law, you realise?
Of course. Ownership is determined by might rather than right. It is how land gets stolen.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

aufbahrung

Post by aufbahrung » Sun May 16, 2021 12:24 pm

I think 'stealing' as a term is inflammatory and invites the worst sort of thieves called lawyers. A category of pen pusher thief the world would be better without in this era of endless cantors dust digital small print.
WeAreAStableCountry

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sun May 16, 2021 12:40 pm

aufbahrung wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 12:24 pm
I think
Congratulations, but everybody does, so that is not a particularly noteworthy achievement in itself.

That said, regardless of what you think about the issue, land can be stolen.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

aufbahrung

Post by aufbahrung » Sun May 16, 2021 12:44 pm

Squatters rights then?
WeAreAStableCountry

aufbahrung

Post by aufbahrung » Sun May 16, 2021 12:53 pm

What about Russia defends Palestine and America Israel. Then let America and Russia fight it out to determine who owns the land? Think that's the most logical way to resolve the issue.
WeAreAStableCountry

aufbahrung

Post by aufbahrung » Sun May 16, 2021 3:22 pm

https://www.israeldefense.co.il/en/node/49908

Things getting blown up - choose a side, won't alter the outcome. Illusion of control you realise?
WeAreAStableCountry

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sun May 16, 2021 5:13 pm

Obviously as a person from a country with a history of colonial occupation there's only really one side I can support here.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sun May 16, 2021 10:58 pm

JimC wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 4:52 am
Neo-nazis must get terribly confused. They detest Jews, which makes them natural allies of many fundamentalist Muslims, yet they are also profoundly Islamophobic...
Which shows just how silly they are. anybody with basic knowledge of Realpolitik could tell them to side with the weaker faction the better to turn on them once the more threatening one is out of the picture
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sun May 16, 2021 11:03 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 10:10 am
It's been horrible for over 70 years, but he way bibi has been handling stuff has dried the powder rather than defused the bomb.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon May 17, 2021 5:54 am

https://www.theage.com.au/world/europe/ ... 57sh8.html
London: Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Sunday (Monday AEST) there was no place for anti-Semitism in society and that British Jews should not have to endure “shameful racism”, after a video online appeared to show people shouting anti-Semitic abuse from a car in London.

Johnson was responding in part to the video, posted earlier on Sunday, showing a convoy of cars bearing Palestinian flags driving through a Jewish community in north London and broadcasting anti-Semitic messages from a megaphone.
Assuming for the moment that the report is essentially true, in that the shouts were anti-Jewish rather than anti-Israeli Government actions (and forgetting about Boris for the moment), it demonstrates the risks and complications of responses to Middle East violence. In the past, British Labour Party people have crossed the line between anti-Zionism and anti-semitism. Palestinian activists and their supporters need to watch the boundary between those two very different sentiments closely. It has echos of the frequent conflation of legitimate criticism of Islamic fundamentalism and racially driven attacks on Muslims in general.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!