The greed of Football Clubs

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

The greed of Football Clubs

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:41 am

The football clubs in Europe greed is now beyond the pale. Condemned by their own countries but still going ahead regardless. Most of these clubs have foreign owners. Although these clubs are not pulling out of their domestic leagues to play in a super rich European league but this will be destroying the domestic competition by the lack of attention by these clubs will give and concentrating on the big money.

European Super League: Premier League ‘big six’ sign up to competition
Statement confirms involvement of 12 clubs
Uefa, Premier League and politicians condemn proposal

European football was thrown into turmoil on Sunday night after new plans for a European super league were revealed that would mean six English clubs – Manchester City, Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham – joining the breakaway competition alongside three teams from each of Italy and Spain.

After a dramatic day that earlier saw Boris Johnson and the French president, Emmanuel Macron, both condemn proposals that had been met with widespread criticism from around the continent, a statement just after 11pm UK time from the newly formed European Super League confirmed plans to begin the new competition in August.

The plans, which would represent one of the biggest changes ever made in the football calendar, threaten not only the future of the Champions League but could have a seismic impact on the entire structure of the club game. In England the Premier League had urged clubs “to walk away immediately before irreparable damage is done”.

“Twelve of Europe’s leading football clubs have today come together to announce they have agreed to establish a new mid-week competition, the Super League, governed by its founding clubs,” it read. “AC Milan, Arsenal FC, Atlético de Madrid, Chelsea FC, FC Barcelona, FC Internazionale Milano, Juventus FC, Liverpool FC, Manchester City, Manchester United, Real Madrid CF and Tottenham Hotspur have all joined as founding clubs. It is anticipated that a further three clubs will join ahead of the inaugural season, which is intended to commence as soon as practicable.”

The statement added: “Going forward, the founding clubs look forward to holding discussions with Uefa and Fifa to work together in partnership to deliver the best outcomes for the new League and for football as a whole. The formation of the Super League comes at a time when the global pandemic has accelerated the instability in the existing European football economic model. Further, for a number of years, the founding clubs have had the objective of improving the quality and intensity of existing European competitions throughout each season, and of creating a format for top clubs and players to compete on a regular basis.”

“A European super league will undermine the appeal of the whole game, and have a deeply damaging impact on the immediate and future prospects of the Premier League and its member clubs, and all those in football who rely on our funding and solidarity to prosper. We will work with fans, the FA, EFL, PFA and LMA, as well as other stakeholders, at home and abroad, to defend the integrity and future prospects of English football in the best interests of the game.”
Dutch teams were asked but are not taking part.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Re: The greed of Football Clubs

Post by Svartalf » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:09 am

What else is new?
those clubs move tremendous amounts of money, and they are not sports associations but for profit ventures, so capitalism and greed are open bar there.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:22 am

I'm looking forward to the day when Manchester Utd and Barcelona play the Atlanta Falcons and the Mercedes F1 team. I know who my money is on. :tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:36 am

Mercedes will outrun them in a bucket seat.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:00 pm

I dont think the ESL will have a long life. It will be killed off at birth. Governments and football organisations are against it and drastic sanctions are being imposed. It reminds of cricket when an Oz git organised his own tournament. It did change certain aspects of the game but that was all. This will do the same to the Champions League but little else. Most footballers want to play for their country at world level.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:10 pm

That seems likely, since the UEFA and local federations are actively threatening to totally ban ESL clubs from normal competition, and their players from national selections.

Of course, if that project doesn't abort in a hurry, it just might offer everybody involved enough money that they'll be happy to be playing in their own private bubble.

I just wonder where the money will be coming from, since, so few clubs being involved, many countries who won't have any fingers in that pie might just fail to show any interest... that would be a major loss of audience, ergo, a major shrinkage of broadcasting revenues...

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:25 pm

This is about that boring game called soccer, I suppose... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:42 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:00 pm
I dont think the ESL will have a long life. It will be killed off at birth. Governments and football organisations are against it and drastic sanctions are being imposed. It reminds of cricket when an Oz git organised his own tournament. It did change certain aspects of the game but that was all. This will do the same to the Champions League but little else. Most footballers want to play for their country at world level.
Kerry Packer started the rival cricket circus. Numerous top cricketers joined it because the International Cricket Council and its branches expected players to keep entertaining the crowds for a pittance. Packer saw a lot of profit in his outfit for himself through increased advertising revenue for his TV network and stable of newspapers via the One-Day-International tournaments. He had no interest in test cricket because he knew that ODIs would draw much larger crowds.

It worked exceedingly well for him. When the Cricket boards suggested a reunification Packer agreed immediately, provided he'd have dibs on broadcasting and promotional rights. He figured that a unified cricket setup would increase crowds and therefore his revenue stream even further, and he was right again.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:59 am

Where are these clubs getting the money from to do this?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:06 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:59 am
Speculators who think that it would become a money-making machine, I suppose...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:12 am

JimC wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:25 pm
This is about that boring game called soccer, I suppose... :tea:
boring? I hear of people actually dozing off at cricket matches.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:33 am

JimC wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:06 am
Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:59 am
Speculators who think that it would become a money-making machine, I suppose...
American and Asian speculators. There will be plenty of betting and match fixing if it does go ahead. I am not surprised the main six are from England as corruption is turning into a second nature in the UK.

European Super League: government, FA and Uefa unite to denounce plans
Dowden pledges to do ‘whatever it takes’ to thwart plans
Poll finds 79% of football fans opposed to breakaway

The UK government and football’s authorities launched a furious counter-offensive on Monday against plans for a European Super League that threaten the entire structure of the club game.

The culture secretary, Oliver Dowden, supported by Downing Street, vowed to do “whatever it takes” to thwart the plans which feature 12 “founding members” including six leading clubs from England. European football’s governing body, Uefa, also threatened to ban any players involved from next year’s World Cup.

Prince William, the president of the Football Association, said he shared the concerns of fans and warned that the move by the breakaway clubs – Manchester United, Liverpool, Manchester City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur – “risked damaging the game we love”. In a rare invention he added: “Now, more than ever, we must protect the entire football community – from the top level to the grassroots – and the values of competition and fairness at its core.”

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:34 am

How queer. And there was me thinking the Tories were all about the free market.

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:36 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:34 am
How queer. And there was me thinking the Tories were all about the free market.
Of course when it suits them. The tories could not stand back from this as there are plenty of brownie points to be had.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:29 pm

Well it had to happen.

All six Premier League clubs withdraw from Super League plan
All six English top-flight teams make dramatic U-turn
Timeline: 48-hour rise and fall of Super League
Premier League clubs quit after FA ban warning
Greed this time did not win. Maybe there is some hope there for the UK.