Riot

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Riot

Post by Hermit » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:21 pm

Our member from Yellowknife has found a new talking point: Double standards regarding riots. Since he is spamming the topic all over the forum I it is a good idea to start a thread about this topic.
Cunt wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:12 pm
I wonder if Joannie still loves Chachi...
JimC wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:47 pm
Did those Black Lives Matter protesters invade the Capitol building?

I don't think so.

Comparing apples and oranges again, Cunt...
Cunt wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:28 pm
I like the double standards.

Should I find evidence of others rushing the capitol buildings, and you guys can do it again?
Double standards? How the fuck is "We welcome the presence of these activists, and we strongly urge the Capitol Police to allow them to continue to organize and participate in our democracy." approval of or invitation to rioting?

In contrast, not only did Trump repeatedly urge his supporters to come to the Capitol on the day the votes by the Electoral College were scheduled to be counted, he also indicated the protest will be violent. "Be there", he tweeted on the 19th of December. It "will be wild".

Trump also made it plain in a speech to the assembled crowd immediately before it set out to march the mile or so to the Capitol, that he expected the count to be stopped by undemocratic means. Trump wanted the crowd to storm the Capitol. That's why he made no arrangements to have it protected by the National Guard, unlike the time BLM protesters arrived at the Lincoln memorial last year. The guards were ready for the protesters before they arrived.

Now, that is a double standard, to put it mildly.

Trump did not merely want the storming of the Capitol to happen. He enabled it. Nothing our member from Yellowknife has linked to so far indicates that Democrat politicians want, encourage or approve of rioting. They expressed understanding of them happening and surprise when they don't. Quoting them out of context and with a background of burning buildings is just a fraudulent attempt to make them look as if they do want riots and approve of them.
Cunt wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:35 pm
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Riot

Post by JimC » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:04 am

It seems that certain law enforcement people and firefighters are Trumpian revolutionaries:

https://www.theage.com.au/world/north-a ... 56t48.html
As investigators seek to identify rioters who stormed the US Capitol, police departments in Virginia and Washington state have placed officers on leave as authorities examine whether they took part in unlawful acts while off-duty.

Fire departments in Florida and New York City have also said they reported to federal authorities allegations that some of their members may have been present when the mob broke into the Capitol as Congress met to certify the results of the November 3 presidential election.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:04 am

Federal jails are going to be busy:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-13/ ... k/13053672
The US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has said that in the six days since the attack on the US Capitol, more than 170 investigations had been opened, and that those were "just the tip of the iceberg".

Washington Field Office Assistant Director Steve D'Antuono warned those who participated in the attack should expect a knock on their door from the FBI, even if they'd since left Washington DC.

He said the number of case files would soar in the weeks ahead as more leads came to light.

He said the bureau was investigating a "mind-blowing" range of alleged crimes, including sedition, conspiracy and theft of national security information.

"To be clear, the brutality the American people watched with shock and disbelief on the sixth will not be tolerated by the FBI," Mr D'Antuono said.

"The men and women of the FBI will leave no stone unturned in this investigation."

At the same press conference, Acting US Attorney Michael Sherwin said the FBI was looking a "significant felony cases tied to sedition and conspiracy".

Misdemeanour counts, including trespass, against some of the dozens arrested so far might be upgraded to sedition charges punishable by up to 20 years in prison, he said.

Sedition charges would effectively accuse rioters of attempting to overthrow or defeat the US Government.

"This is only the beginning," Mr Sherwin said of the initial round of charges against more than 70 people.

"We're going to focus on the most significant charges as a deterrent because, regardless of whether it was just a trespass in the Capitol or if someone planted a pipe bomb, you will be charged and you will be found."

Mr Sherwin said he'd also set up a special strike force to look at those who had threatened the media.

The top federal prosecutor for the District of Columbia said on Tuesday that 70 people had been charged so far.

About 20 federal cases had been made public, and 40 others had been filed in DC Superior Court.

The people charged in Superior Court were mainly accused of such things as curfew violations and gun crimes.

Those being tried in federal court, where prosecutors can generally secure longer sentences, are charged with offences such as violent entry and disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds, assaulting a federal law enforcement officer and threatening House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

On Tuesday, federal agents arrested the son of a New York City judge who was seen inside the Capitol wearing a fur costume and a police vest, which said he stole during the mayhem.

Aaron Mostofsky faces charges including theft of government property.

Federal authorities on Sunday arrested two men who were photographed with plastic restraints inside the Capitol.

Investigators said they used social media and livestream videos to identify Eric Munchel of Tennessee as the masked person seen in photos carrying plastic hand restraints in the Senate chamber.

Retired Air Force Lieutenant Colonial Larry Rendall Brock Jr of Texas was photographed on the Senate floor carrying zip-tie handcuffs and wearing a military-style helmet and vest, authorities said.

A 'horned' protester and a man photographed carrying off US Speaker Nancy Pelosi's lectern during the Capitol Hill riots had been arrested.

The Capitol officer who shot Ashli Babbitt, a Trump supporter who was trying to climb through a broken window into the speaker's lobby, was placed on administrative leave in accordance with agency policy, and the shooting was under investigation by Capitol police and the Metropolitan Police Department.

The man photographed sitting in House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's office chair during last week's Capitol siege made his initial federal court appearance in Arkansas.

Sixty-year-old Richard Barnett of Gravette, Arkansas, appeared before US Magistrate Judge Erin Wiedemann in Fayetteville on Tuesday to hear the charges against him.

Among them was a charge that he unlawfully entered a restricted area with a lethal weapon — a stun gun.

Mr Barnett was also charged with disorderly conduct and theft of public property.

If convicted on all charges, including the new lethal weapon count, he could be sentenced to more than 11 years in federal prison.

Mr Barnett's attorney, Anthony Siano, conceded the validity of the warrant against him.

Mr Barnett will remain in federal custody at the Washington County Detention Center in Fayetteville until a virtual detention hearing on Friday, when a judge will decide whether to grant him bail.

The FBI said it notified other law enforcement agencies, including the US Capitol Police, the day before the riot at the Capitol about an online message about a "war" and storming the US Capitol.

The FBI said Tuesday that the warning was issued through the Joint Terrorism Task Force, and that the US Capitol Police had members on the task force.

The Washington Post said the bulletin described that people had been sharing maps of the Capitol's tunnels and discussed rallying points to meet up to travel to Washington.

The newspaper reported that the document detailed posts calling for violence, including that "Congress needs to hear glass breaking, doors being kicked in, and blood from their BLM and Pantifa slave soldiers being spilled".
And my gin!

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:28 am

The double standard is what it always is: the average American is going to be punished, Trump will walk away.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:45 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:28 am
The double standard is what it always is: the average American is going to be punished, Trump will walk away.
Are those people really "average Americans"?

If so, Darwin help you...
And my gin!

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:53 am

--meh, it's only okay to say that because we are so disgustingly successful. :tea: