Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Re: All Things Biden: Is It Over Yet?

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:16 pm

Global rules on taxing tech firms move closer as US drops Trump-era objection

Janet Yellen tells G20 ministers the US is no longer seeking ‘safe harbour’ concept
A global standard on taxing tech companies moved a step closer on Friday after the US signalled it would drop a Trump-era objection to OECD proposals on digital taxation.

US treasury secretary Janet Yellen told a G20 meeting of finance ministers that the US was no longer seeking the “safe harbour” concept advocated by her predecessor Steve Mnuchin – a provision that would have effectively allowed US tech companies to opt into the global standards voluntarily. That proposal had been strongly opposed by European countries. Ms Yellen’s decision removes a key stumbling block to an agreement on global rules regarding digital tax. It paves the way for the adoption of international rules on taxing global tech companies as early as this summer
https://www.irishtimes.com/business/eco ... -1.4496396

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:39 pm

US shifts state grant focus to extremism, cyberthreats
WASHINGTON (AP) — State and local governments will be required to spend a portion of nearly $1.9 billion in annual federal public safety grants on the fight against domestic extremism and improved cybersecurity, the Department of Homeland Security said Thursday.

The requirement reflects the security priorities of President Joe Biden’s new administration as it confronts a growing threat from extremists and the fallout from a suspected Russian hack of government and private-sector computer networks.

Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro Mayorkas said it was the first time since the agency, which was created in response to the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, had directed that domestic violent extremism be specified as a national priority in programs to help state and local law enforcement agencies respond to emergencies.

“Today the most significant terrorist threat facing the nation comes from lone offenders and small groups of individuals who commit acts of violence motivated by domestic extremist ideological beliefs,” Mayorkas said in announcing the shift.
https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-wor ... erthreats/

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:59 pm

Seems sensible.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:00 am

About time they did something about Antifa.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:10 am

Some more boring stuff from Biden about evaluating supply chains of critical materiel like silicon chips, rare earth resources, and high capacity batteries. One might think these are the first steps to try to insulate the US economy against (among other things) drastic damage from China.

'Executive Order on America's Supply Chains'
The United States needs resilient, diverse, and secure supply chains to ensure our economic prosperity and national security. Pandemics and other biological threats, cyber-attacks, climate shocks and extreme weather events, terrorist attacks, geopolitical and economic competition, and other conditions can reduce critical manufacturing capacity and the availability and integrity of critical goods, products, and services. Resilient American supply chains will revitalize and rebuild domestic manufacturing capacity, maintain America’s competitive edge in research and development, and create well-paying jobs. They will also support small businesses, promote prosperity, advance the fight against climate change, and encourage economic growth in communities of color and economically distressed areas.
A twitter thread on threadreader about this order:

'Yesterday, Biden issued an executive order on America's Supply Chains. What's in it?'

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:23 am

It's just talk at this point, but I enjoy keeping an eye on agriculture for the potential to see interesting developments.
'WE DON’T HAVE A DAY TO WASTE’ ON CLIMATE MITIGATION, SAYS VILSACK
ACTIONS COULD RANGE FROM PROVIDING EXPERT ADVICE TO PRODUCERS, INCLUDING GIVING THEM GUIDELINES FOR QUANTIFYING CARBON CAPTURE ON A FARM, TO LAUNCHING PILOT PROJECTS THAT DEMONSTRATE BEST PRACTICES FOR CLIMATE MITIGATION.
Actions could range from providing expert advice to producers, including giving them guidelines for quantifying carbon capture on a farm, to launching pilot projects that demonstrate best practices for climate mitigation, said Vilsack. “To the point that we can potentially establish something like a carbon bank, we should absolutely explore it, and if there are resources available today that we have the ability to use, we should absolutely be looking at that.”
https://www.agriculture.com/news/busine ... ys-vilsack

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:50 am

A weird one -
Biden administration gears up to solve 'Havana Syndrome' attacks mystery
The Biden administration is signaling a commitment to solving the mystery of the so-called “Havana Syndrome” that hit numerous U.S. spies and diplomats.

This as there is a renewed bipartisan push to determine the source of what many believe are invisible attacks by a yet-unknown adversary.

The CIA is working with others to "double down" on finding answers regarding the "unexplained global health incidents," CIA press secretary Timothy Barrett told the Washington Examiner while stressing the well-being of CIA officers was top priority. A U.S. government official told the Washington Examiner the CIA set up a centralized team with doctors, counterintelligence officials, and human resources for anyone affected.

In addition, President Biden's picks to lead the CIA and State Department promised to get answers on who is responsible and to ensure U.S. government employees get the healthcare they need, a change in pace from the Trump administration, which was largely secretive about the situation.

The U.S. government has yet to offer an explanation for the apparent attacks that have led to unusual symptoms among U.S. personnel abroad in places such as Cuba, Russia, and China. The illnesses feature dizziness, head pain, vision problems, cognitive troubles, loud noises, vertigo, and possible traumatic brain injuries. The leading theory is these are microwave weapon attacks, and a possible top culprit is Russia, though neither has been confirmed by U.S. spy agencies. This burst into public view following “Havana Syndrome” at the U.S. Embassy in Cuba in 2016, but related incidents have been reported to have occurred before and after.
The National Academies of Sciences report last year considered possible explanations, including psychological problems, diseases, chemical exposure, and energy weapons. It concluded 40 diplomats in Havana and a dozen in China suffered symptoms “consistent with the effects of directed, pulsed, radiofrequency energy" but “could not rule out other possible mechanisms.”
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... ks-mystery

Before you roll your eyes remember when the US was forced to stop work on an embassy because the Russians had installed "bugs" throughout? :lol: This doesn't do the story justice, but it's a start: U.S. Finally Opens Moscow Embassy / Building was delayed 15 years after Russians riddled it with bugs

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:05 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:23 am
It's just talk at this point, but I enjoy keeping an eye on agriculture for the potential to see interesting developments.
'WE DON’T HAVE A DAY TO WASTE’ ON CLIMATE MITIGATION, SAYS VILSACK
ACTIONS COULD RANGE FROM PROVIDING EXPERT ADVICE TO PRODUCERS, INCLUDING GIVING THEM GUIDELINES FOR QUANTIFYING CARBON CAPTURE ON A FARM, TO LAUNCHING PILOT PROJECTS THAT DEMONSTRATE BEST PRACTICES FOR CLIMATE MITIGATION.
Actions could range from providing expert advice to producers, including giving them guidelines for quantifying carbon capture on a farm, to launching pilot projects that demonstrate best practices for climate mitigation, said Vilsack. “To the point that we can potentially establish something like a carbon bank, we should absolutely explore it, and if there are resources available today that we have the ability to use, we should absolutely be looking at that.”
https://www.agriculture.com/news/busine ... ys-vilsack
The righties are going on about how Bill Gates is buying up all the farmland. Do you suppose he has our best interests at heart?
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:34 am

I thought you believed in free enterprise and the market naturally determining what's best for us.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:37 am

You imagine a lot of things about me. You give yourself away when you do.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:28 am

So you are not a liberal? Hermit might have to search how many times you've bleated about liberalism and freedom.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:37 am

"Liberal" is a very broad church indeed...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!