The US Supreme Court

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Re: The US Supreme Court

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:59 am

The right wing of the Supreme Court doesn't have a monopoly on corruption. However, one might note a disparity regarding the scale and variety of corruption.

'Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor’s staff prodded colleges and libraries to buy her books'
For colleges and libraries seeking a boldfaced name for a guest lecturer, few come bigger than Sonia Sotomayor, the Supreme Court justice who rose from poverty in the Bronx to the nation’s highest court.

She has benefited, too — from schools’ purchases of hundreds, sometimes thousands, of the books she has written over the years.

Sotomayor’s staff has often prodded public institutions that have hosted the justice to buy her memoir or children’s books, works that have earned her at least $3.7 million since she joined the court in 2009. Details of those events, largely out of public view, were obtained by The Associated Press through more than 100 open records requests to public institutions. The resulting tens of thousands of pages of documents offer a rare look at Sotomayor and her fellow justices beyond their official duties.

In her case, the documents reveal repeated examples of taxpayer-funded court staff performing tasks for the justice’s book ventures, which workers in other branches of government are barred from doing. But when it comes to promoting her literary career, Sotomayor is free to do what other government officials cannot because the Supreme Court does not have a formal code of conduct, leaving the nine justices to largely write and enforce their own rules.

“This is one of the most basic tenets of ethics laws that protects taxpayer dollars from misuse,” said Kedric Payne, a former deputy chief counsel at the Office of Congressional Ethics and current general counsel for the Campaign Legal Center, a nonpartisan government watchdog group in Washington. “The problem at the Supreme Court is there’s no one there to say whether this is wrong.”

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:58 pm

Supreme court attempting some appearance of fairness. Red states just ignore them.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... reme-court
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:31 am

Alabama refused to quit gerrymandering. The court may hear the case again.
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/09/19/app- ... index.html
because...there are no black people and there is no racism anymore.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:00 am

Alabama is just stalling. If they can print the ballots for the old districts, they may claim they will change the districts, but only for 2026 election.
Two conservatives — Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Brett Kavanaugh — joined the three liberal justices in the majority in the Supreme Court ruling in June.

But the court did leave open future challenges to the law, with Kavanaugh writing in a separate opinion that his vote did not rule out challenges to Section 2 based on whether there is a time when the 1965 law’s authorization of considering race in redistricting is no longer justified.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/suprem ... rcna105688

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:03 am

"But the court did leave open future challenges to the law, with Kavanaugh writing in a separate opinion that his vote did not rule out challenges to Section 2 based on whether there is a time when the 1965 law’s authorization of considering race in redistricting is no longer justified."
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:29 pm

Given that the Alabama legislature continues to consider race in its effort to disenfranchise black voters, that time has not yet arrived. Don't count on Kavanaugh or any of the other 'conservative' justices addressing that honestly though.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:24 am

Could have gone in the 'zombie coup' thread, but belongs here I think. Clarence Thomas (perhaps under pressure from within the 'conservative' majority on the bench) has recused himself from a decision on the appeal of 'overturn the election' conspirator John Eastman. Eastman actually clerked for Thomas in the past, which may have factored into Thomas's decision. If so, I wouldn't count on him recusing from future cases dealing with the coup attempt.

'Clarence Thomas recuses himself as Supreme Court rejects ex-Trump lawyer John Eastman's appeal'
Conservative Justice Clarence Thomas for the first time recused himself from a case involving the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol by then-President Donald Trump's supporters as the Supreme Court on Monday rejected an appeal brought by former Trump legal adviser John Eastman.

Thomas, under fire over claims of ethical lapses, had participated last year when the court rejected Trump's bid to prevent White House documents from being handed over to the House committee investigating Jan. 6.

Then, Thomas was the only justice to signal support for Trump's legal arguments.

This time, Thomas stepped aside in the case involving Eastman, who had served as a law clerk to the justice. As is typical for justices, Thomas did not explain why he recused himself.

Eastman's case also involved the now-defunct Jan. 6 committee, centering on the former law professor's efforts to prevent his former employer, Chapman University, from handing over emails.

Eastman had pushed the discredited argument that then-Vice President Mike Pence had the power to refuse to certify the 2020 presidential election results.

He has also been indicted over efforts to overturn the 2020 election results in Georgia.

Eastman recently vouched for Thomas following various news reports alleging that the justices had fallen short of ethical standards.

Thomas earlier had faced criticism for failing to recuse himself from Trump's Jan. 6 case because his wife, conservative political activist Virginia “Ginni” Thomas, had been a vocal supporter of Trump’s efforts to overturn the election.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:12 am

Anyone keeping a tally of Trump's ex-lawyers?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:16 am

They all seem to come to a bad end, which is fucking great!
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:58 am

Well, a former law clerk is one thing, but when real money is involved you stick in there and uphold your side of things.

'"A Travesty": Clarence Thomas Refuses to Recuse in Case That Could Benefit Billionaire Benefactor'
U.S. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas on Monday recused himself from a decision—but the rare move from the embattled right-winger came as he weighed in on another case involving his billionaire benefactor, which outraged one watchdog group.

The high court declined to hear Community Housing Improvement Program (CHIP) v. City of New York, New York, a landlord-backed constitutional challenge to the massive city's longtime rent stabilization policies for about a million apartments.

"It is a travesty that Clarence Thomas failed to recuse himself in yet another case from which his right-wing donors could directly benefit," said Revolving Door Project executive director Jeff Hauser in a statement. "Justice Thomas' billionaire benefactor Harlan Crow has a vested interest in weakening rent control laws across the country to buttress his real estate empire's profits."

The Supreme Court in recent months has faced calls for new ethics rules, a U.S. Department of Justice probe, and Thomas' resignation in response to revelations about his relationship with Crow and other rich GOP donors. In addition to treating Thomas to luxury vacations, Crow bought his mother's house and contributed to the private school tuition for a great-nephew he raised.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:40 am

IMG_5841.jpeg
"other justices sounded very skeptical of the argument. But since it’s a blockbuster case, we likely won’t get a decision until late June 2024"

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:54 am

Yeah, they're deploying their well-practiced disingenuous shithead tactics on this one. At this point it's a close run thing between Alito and Thomas for who is the most despicable ideologue on the Supreme Court. Give the others some time to get settled in though.

'Sam Alito’s Deplorable Arguments for Letting Domestic Abusers Keep Their Guns'
The most notable aspect of the Rahimi arguments was its gauzy abstraction. Unlike some of the court’s recent cases in which there is no lower court record and thus no facts, Rahimi included a good deal of underlying factual information about the life and questionable times of one Zackey Rahimi, his months of reckless shooting-at-stuff, his threats, and his actual violence. Unlike the purely speculative harms that became the bulk of the case in, say, 303 Creative, the web designer case from last spring that didn’t even have parties on both sides of the decision to withhold professional services, Rahimi comes with actual facts.

A state court granted Rahimi’s then girlfriend and the mother of his child a restraining order in February 2020, after he dragged her into his car following an argument, then smashed her head on the dashboard, then shot at a bystander who had witnessed the assault. The court records show all this, and the proceedings below detail his subsequent five shootings in the span of several weeks that followed. Under a federal law, he was no longer allowed to have a gun. He kept his guns. The 5th Circuit panel that determined that, after Bruen, Rahimi couldn’t be deprived of his weapons, and that the law that did as much was unconstitutional on its face, sniffed merely that Rahimi, “while hardly a model citizen, is nonetheless part of the political community entitled to the Second Amendment’s guarantees.” The Supreme Court thus inherited the problem of an unrepentant, armed domestic abuser who looks a lot like every other unrepentant armed domestic abuser, and its own recent jurisprudence that surely implies, Yeah, why not?

Yet with a handful of mild exceptions, the arguments at 1 First St. on Tuesday morning steered clear of old Zackey Rahimi. Only after Justice Samuel Alito implied that when a woman seeks a protective order in a domestic violence setting, the results tend to be “he said, she said” situations concluding in restraining orders against both parties, and only after Justice Clarence Thomas suggested that there existed only a “very thin record” in the present case did it become necessary for the remaining justices to intervene with actual facts from the actual record. As Justice Amy Coney Barrett was forced to remind her colleagues, who were at that point just parroting gun industry talking points, Rahimi’s girlfriend “did submit a sworn affidavit giving quite a lot of detail about the various threats. It’s not like he just showed up and the judge said ‘Credible finding of violence.’ ”

But why stick to the facts when you can imagine better ones? So, despite the fact that Rahimi was not making a procedural argument about the unfairness of the civil restraining order process, both Alito and Thomas magicked up these objections. Despite the fact that there was a lower court’s finding that Rahimi was in fact a danger to his girlfriend and child, they coughed up hypotheticals that raised the issue of how generally unfair it is for courts to take away guns in a civil proceeding. As Thomas put it, “If this were a criminal proceeding, then you would have a determination of what you’re talking about—someone would be convicted of a crime, a felony assault, or something. But here you have something that’s anticipatory or predictive, where a civil court is making the determination.” Alito—unsurprisingly—fretted more about the rights of the poor beleaguered gun owner than the woman he terrorizes: “If the person [under the restraining order] thinks that he or she is in danger and wants to have a firearm, is that person’s only recourse to possess the firearm and take their chances if they get prosecuted?”

In other words, the inversion process is now fully realized. The MAGA justices not only invent records in cases that have no facts. They also ignore the record in the cases that actually have them. Why consider the implications of actual gun violence when you can live in the imaginary world of good guys with guns suffering the indignities of legal restrictions?

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:00 am

It looks like the 'conservatives' on the court are set to overturn another long standing precedent in their zeal to prevent government from thwarting corporate malfeasance and pursuit of profit, damn the consequences. Heigh-ho, a corporation boot stamping on a human face, forever.

'The Supreme Court Has Figured Out How to Gut a Bunch of Crucial Federal Laws at Once'
The catastrophe that unfolded at the Supreme Court on Wednesday morning was so suffused with infuriating bad faith that even Justice Elena Kagan, the model of a disciplined jurist, could not stand it. For nearly 50 years, Kagan declared, “no one has had the chutzpah” to make the argument before the court that the Securities and Exchange Commission had no right to fine wrongdoers—an anti-historical, anti-textual theory that would hobble the federal government’s ability to enforce statutes that protect the public from harm. No one, that is, until Wednesday, when six conservative justices lined up to endorse the theory, telegraphing their intention to kneecap the SEC and other agencies that impose regulations against lawbreakers.

The case, Jarkesy v. SEC, is complicated in the details but pretty simple in the end. It asks whether federal agencies can continue to do something that they’ve done for more than a century and that no court (including SCOTUS) has ever forbidden: adjudicate the government’s claims against a private party for violating “public rights” established by Congress. Do you think that securities fraud, consumer scams, environmental crimes, labor violations, and a ton of other misdeeds should be efficiently and consistently penalized? Then you are out of luck, because the Supreme Court is poised to strip much of that enforcement power from the federal government.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:48 am

The govt clearly has no right to prevent you doing anything you want.

Frank Zappa

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:42 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:48 am
The govt clearly has no right to prevent you doing anything you want.
That apparently depends on how deep your pockets are. If you have enough money to systematically defraud people or despoil the environment for instance, then you're good.