The state of the UK

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: The state of the UK

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:35 am

Scot Dutchy would hate Kangaroo Island! He hates kangaroos, and islands.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:11 am

JimC wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:45 am
I bow to your superior knowledge. Mine comes from reading Hornblower and Jack Aubrey novels... :tea:
Heh. Good ole C.S. Forester. I have not read any of his Hornblower novels, but I've watched the TV series based on the first three books. You can watch and/or download all eight episodes here.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:45 am

The upper middle class do love a golf course don't they(?)
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:01 am

Plenty must live in Edinburgh then.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:12 am

As Shakespeare once said, golf is the perfect way to ruin a good walk.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:23 am

Plenty of good walks being ruined in Edinburgh? There was at one time in the '70's 22 golf courses within the city's boundaries (all 18 holes).

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:31 am

Have another go. The last two posts have fallen well short. :tea:

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:47 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:31 am
Short of what? I did not come out with a pure insult like some do about the Netherlands is that it? :bored:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:34 am

Sorry, I'm not going to have a dig at where someone lives. I'll leave that to others. :tea:

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:23 am

More corruption but never mind.

Boris Johnson ‘acted illegally’ over jobs for top anti-Covid staff
Legal action targets appointments of Dido Harding, Kate Bingham and Mike Coupe

Boris Johnson and his health secretary, Matt Hancock, acted “unlawfully” when appointing three key figures – including the head of NHS Test and Trace, Dido Harding – to posts in the fight against Covid-19, according to a legal challenge submitted by campaigners to the high court.

The Observer has seen details of documents from those pursuing the case – and initial responses from government lawyers – relating to the call for a judicial review into the appointment of Baroness Harding, who is a Tory peer, and into those of Kate Bingham to the post of head of the UK’s vaccine taskforce and Mike Coupe to the role of director of testing at NHS Test and Trace.

The case has been lodged jointly by the not-for-profit Good Law Project headed by Jolyon Maugham QC, and the UK’s leading race equality thinktank, the Runnymede Trust. If it is successful, it would represent a further serious blow to the credibility of the government’s handling of the pandemic and support claims that ministers have been running a “chumocracy”.

The claimants say the appointments were made without advertising the positions, and without the open competition normally insisted on for important public sector roles. Instead they suggest those identified and then appointed were installed in part because of their Tory connections. Harding and Bingham are both married to Conservative MPs while Coupe is a former chief executive of Sainsbury’s, and was a colleague of Harding’s at the supermarket.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:30 am

More chumocracy:

Trump sank lower, but that doesn't mean Johnson isn't knee-deep in sleaze
Jonathan Freedland wrote:A damning report makes clear how complacent we’ve been: under cover of Covid, taxpayers’ money has been abused

The gradual, reluctant departure of Donald Trump removes a man who performed a vital function for the UK government. He served as a lightning rod and handy distraction, diverting attention away from our own rulers by reliably being more appalling, more outrageous and more incompetent than they could ever manage. However low they sank, they could always point across the Atlantic to someone who had sunk lower. Trump absorbed a lot of emotional energy that way, soaking up fury that might otherwise have been directed closer to home. But now that his slow retreat from the centre of global consciousness is under way, his utility as a decoy is diminishing. Once Trump is no longer gobbling up all the attention, our gaze can settle more steadily on our own masters. And it is not a pretty sight.

For even though Boris Johnson never told anyone to inject bleach, his government’s handling of the pandemic has been disastrously bad by any measure except direct comparison with Trump’s. Whether it’s the late decision-making, including a delay to the first lockdown that is estimated to have cost 25,000 lives, and a second one imposed five weeks after the experts had warned a circuit break was urgently required; sending infected people back into care homes without testing; the baffling decision to allow mass gatherings to go ahead and to allow air travellers to keep arriving without even the most basic checks once they had landed; or the serial failures to set up a functional test-and-trace system, the record is abysmal – borne out by the fact that Britain has the highest death toll in Europe.

Alongside the uselessness has come callousness. Again, it’s never voiced as baldly as it was by Trump, but the choices speak for themselves. This is a government that has had to be dragged – twice – into extending free school meals to hungry, poor children when they need them, acting only after moral instruction had been supplied by a professional footballer. Now we learn that the price of Britain’s public-finances problem – which is real – is to be paid by public-sector workers in the form of a wage freeze. Admittedly, NHS staff are to be exempt, but still it is the teachers and key council workers, whose indispensability has been confirmed anew during this crisis, who are once again to bear the brunt of austerity. And all the while, the government is leading us into another economic hurricane, one that will inflict far more damage than Covid, in the form of the Brexit that is waiting for us once the clock strikes midnight to usher in the new year.
Just wear your mask and you will be fine. :yawn:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:48 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:23 am
More corruption but never mind.

Boris Johnson ‘acted illegally’ over jobs for top anti-Covid staff
Legal action targets appointments of Dido Harding, Kate Bingham and Mike Coupe

Boris Johnson and his health secretary, Matt Hancock, acted “unlawfully” when appointing three key figures – including the head of NHS Test and Trace, Dido Harding – to posts in the fight against Covid-19, according to a legal challenge submitted by campaigners to the high court.

The Observer has seen details of documents from those pursuing the case – and initial responses from government lawyers – relating to the call for a judicial review into the appointment of Baroness Harding, who is a Tory peer, and into those of Kate Bingham to the post of head of the UK’s vaccine taskforce and Mike Coupe to the role of director of testing at NHS Test and Trace.

The case has been lodged jointly by the not-for-profit Good Law Project headed by Jolyon Maugham QC, and the UK’s leading race equality thinktank, the Runnymede Trust. If it is successful, it would represent a further serious blow to the credibility of the government’s handling of the pandemic and support claims that ministers have been running a “chumocracy”.

The claimants say the appointments were made without advertising the positions, and without the open competition normally insisted on for important public sector roles. Instead they suggest those identified and then appointed were installed in part because of their Tory connections. Harding and Bingham are both married to Conservative MPs while Coupe is a former chief executive of Sainsbury’s, and was a colleague of Harding’s at the supermarket.
Someone should take that to the corruption commissioner.

Oh hang on. Dido Harding's husband is the corruption commissioner, so everything must be above board and tickety-boo.

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:51 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:30 am
More chumocracy:

Trump sank lower, but that doesn't mean Johnson isn't knee-deep in sleaze
Jonathan Freedland wrote:A damning report makes clear how complacent we’ve been: under cover of Covid, taxpayers’ money has been abused

The gradual, reluctant departure of Donald Trump removes a man who performed a vital function for the UK government. He served as a lightning rod and handy distraction, diverting attention away from our own rulers by reliably being more appalling, more outrageous and more incompetent than they could ever manage. However low they sank, they could always point across the Atlantic to someone who had sunk lower. Trump absorbed a lot of emotional energy that way, soaking up fury that might otherwise have been directed closer to home. But now that his slow retreat from the centre of global consciousness is under way, his utility as a decoy is diminishing. Once Trump is no longer gobbling up all the attention, our gaze can settle more steadily on our own masters. And it is not a pretty sight.

For even though Boris Johnson never told anyone to inject bleach, his government’s handling of the pandemic has been disastrously bad by any measure except direct comparison with Trump’s. Whether it’s the late decision-making, including a delay to the first lockdown that is estimated to have cost 25,000 lives, and a second one imposed five weeks after the experts had warned a circuit break was urgently required; sending infected people back into care homes without testing; the baffling decision to allow mass gatherings to go ahead and to allow air travellers to keep arriving without even the most basic checks once they had landed; or the serial failures to set up a functional test-and-trace system, the record is abysmal – borne out by the fact that Britain has the highest death toll in Europe.

Alongside the uselessness has come callousness. Again, it’s never voiced as baldly as it was by Trump, but the choices speak for themselves. This is a government that has had to be dragged – twice – into extending free school meals to hungry, poor children when they need them, acting only after moral instruction had been supplied by a professional footballer. Now we learn that the price of Britain’s public-finances problem – which is real – is to be paid by public-sector workers in the form of a wage freeze. Admittedly, NHS staff are to be exempt, but still it is the teachers and key council workers, whose indispensability has been confirmed anew during this crisis, who are once again to bear the brunt of austerity. And all the while, the government is leading us into another economic hurricane, one that will inflict far more damage than Covid, in the form of the Brexit that is waiting for us once the clock strikes midnight to usher in the new year.
Just wear your mask and you will be fine. :yawn:
Oh come on Scot. Toby Young told us this week that out of 5 million cases of Covid only 54,000 people had died, and that's no worse than the flu.

Frank Zappa

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:08 am

More people are killed by falling off a ladder than that.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:58 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:47 am
Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:31 am
Short of what? I did not come out with a pure insult like some do about the Netherlands is that it? :bored:
Ja, Nederland is saai kak
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4