The state of the UK

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: The state of the UK

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:52 am

Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:55 am

The test you have to take to stay in the UK is sloppy, moronic and jingoistic
Zoe Williams wrote:My friends keep failing the Life in the UK test – no surprise when the questions are ambiguous, obscure or plain wrong

For more than a year, I’ve been helping two friends with the Life in the UK test, which is a prerequisite for anyone seeking indefinite leave to remain, or naturalisation as a British citizen. They’ve each failed twice since January, Victor took his third test on Saturday.

Immersed in it, still never a week goes by that I’m not astonished and wrongfooted by a question on the practice tests. What, in 2007, did Britons vote the nation’s best view? Which of the following statements is correct: Shakespeare focused mainly on kings, queens and the nobility; Shakespeare was one of the first to portray the lives of ordinary Englishmen and women? (I’d say you could make a case for both, except for that ambiguity – one of the first whats? Writers? What about Chaucer? Anyway, the second was the answer they were looking for.)

Some of the questions are wrong by accident; they had to send out an erratum when they got the wrong number of candles on a menorah. Some of the answers are reverse engineered, so what they’re looking for is not the truth, but a previous-truth that no longer obtains, yet a true Briton would (presumably?) know anyway. For instance, is Valentine’s Day strangers sending each other anonymous notes, or couples proposing to one another, or couples giving each other gifts, or couples going out for dinner? Plainly, there are whole (British!) industries partly sustained by the fact that couples do give each other gifts and go out for dinner, but the answer they were looking for was the one last true in the 1980s.
Very fair. :coffee:
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:27 am

No one wants to go to the UK anyway. They are all heading to the Netherlands!
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:49 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:27 am
No one wants to go to the UK anyway. They are all heading to the Netherlands!
The Dutch have the best dykes.

...I've heard.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:49 am

Can you guess where 2/3rds of people leaving England are emigrating to at the moment? I'll give you a clue...

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:43 pm

Chumocracy: If you have a second home abroad you can leave the UK especially if it is your father.

Covid travel rules will include 'Stanley Johnson loophole' for second homes
Updated regulations will allow people to leave UK to prepare second homes for sale or rent

People will be allowed to leave the UK to prepare a second home for sale or rent, according to new coronavirus regulations coming into force later this month.

The latest restrictions, which will apply from 29 March, will include a list of specific “reasonable excuses to travel” outside the country, including what Labour branded as “the Stanley Johnson clause”.

Boris Johnson’s father, Stanley, last summer apparently breached Covid guidelines by travelling to his Greek villa to make it “Covid-proof”.

The exemption allows people to travel abroad “in connection with the purchase, sale, letting or rental of a residential property”. Those activities include visiting an estate agent, developer sales office or show home, viewing residential properties to rent or buy, and preparing a property for moving in.

Other exemptions include study or competing in an elite sporting event.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:16 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:49 am
Can you guess where 2/3rds of people leaving England are emigrating to at the moment? I'll give you a clue...

Won't they find a great deal of prejudice against evil Englishmen? After all, they're a parcel of rogues down south... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:19 pm

Och nooo! All Scotch people love the English, unless they're from That London.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:38 pm

Will they arrive with lashings of English gold?
And my gin!

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:03 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:43 pm
Chumocracy: If you have a second home abroad you can leave the UK especially if it is your father.
Why the fuck shouldn't they be able to leave? Is da gummint gonna pay to take care of the property?
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:33 pm

laklak wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:03 pm
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Why the fuck shouldn't they be able to leave? Is da gummint gonna pay to take care of the property?
Sure, but what it means in practice is that the wealthy (who are the only ones likely to have a second home abroad) will be able to leave, and the non-wealthy will not. I know that wealth automatically brings more options, but this is a government decision adding to their existing privilege...
And my gin!

laklak

Post by laklak » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:41 pm

So they should be prevented from leaving?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:11 pm

laklak wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:03 pm
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Because they could bring back covid. Although, you're more likely to get Covid in the UK than most other places on the planet.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:26 pm

laklak wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:41 pm
So they should be prevented from leaving?
I presume that the "they" you are referring to are those with second homes overseas. More to the point, if they are allowed to leave, then anyone should be able to leave. Also, the hurdles for coming back (quarantine, proof of vaccination, whatever) should be the same for all citizens. Owning an overseas home should not bring special advantages. Either all are allowed to leave, or none are. The "chumocracy" thing was that the wealthy with connections to the ruling Conservative Party seem to have had a lot of perks during covid, particularly in government decisions that have benefitted them financially.
And my gin!

laklak

Post by laklak » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:18 am

I agree anyone should be able to leave. To prevent people from leaving is an absolutely unconscionable violation of basic human rights. Whether another country will take them in is a different story, all countries have the right to control their borders and determine who is allowed to enter, but NO country, under ANY circumstance, should have the power to restrict your movement should you decide to leave, pandemic be damned.