The state of the UK

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: The state of the UK

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:22 am

So we can assume from this that covid numbers are worse than recorded. Or are you maintaining the opposite this week? It's so hard to keep up with your conspiracy theories..
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:34 am

When No10 were asked by the BBC this morning for a comment on the statistics watchdog's criticism of the child poverty numbers they didnt mention it and provided yet another, different set of figures.

Cameron's gov stopped collecting data on child poverty in 2014 and removed obligations on government to reduce it year on year, saying that the base measurements and obligations were hindering their objective of helping 'families in deprivation'.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:56 am

We have a tough time recording homeless youth numbers here. It's all the usual definitional disputes, plus a real patchy system for gathering the data.

The last I checked there were plans to fund solutions. I'm curious now whether this administration has had any impact on that.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:05 am

Yeah. Sometimes if you don't count it then it doesn't exist.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:03 am

Plenty are leaving the ship:

Number of UK citizens emigrating to EU has risen by 30% since Brexit vote
Exclusive: crisis has led to 500% increase in Britons taking up citizenship in an EU state

The number of British nationals emigrating to other EU countries has risen by 30% since the Brexit referendum, with half making their decision to leave in the first three months after the vote, research has found.

Analysis of data from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) and Eurostat shows that migration from Britain to EU states averaged 56,832 people a year in 2008-15, growing to 73,642 a year in 2016-18.

The study also shows a 500% increase in those who made the move and then took up citizenship in an EU state. Germany saw a 2,000% rise, with 31,600 Britons naturalising there since the referendum.
Who blames them.

Those naturalising must have been living here for a while. The minimum requirement here is 15 years straight being registered at a town hall.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:53 am

It's just numbers. Surely, you are not going to trust these numbers?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:54 am

EU countries are pumping the numbers up to make their countries seem more desirable.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:02 am

NineBerry wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:53 am
It's just numbers. Surely, you are not going to trust these numbers?
These numbers are not the record of questionable deaths or sicknesses. :bored:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:44 pm

No, they're the questionable numbers of people emigrating from the UK. :tea:

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:45 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:44 pm
No, they're the questionable numbers of people emigrating from the UK. :tea:
Entirely agree. Dont kill the messenger :tut:

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:18 am

Two-thirds of adults in England feel cycling is dangerous
Government survey predates £2bn ‘revolution’, which minister says will make people feel safer

The government has pledged to tackle safety fears about cycling after an official study revealed that two-thirds of people were worried about the dangers of riding on the roads.

Figures from the government’s National Travel Attitudes Study showed 66% of adults in England said it was “dangerous for me to cycle on the roads”, up from 61% a year before and the highest figure for more than a decade.

In an interview with the Guardian, Chris Heaton-Harris, the transport minister whose remit covers cycling, said plans for cycling and walking, spearheaded by Boris Johnson and announced last month, were intended to change this.

As part of the £2bn commitment, thousands of miles of protected bike lanes, as well as a regulator to stop councils building substandard cycling and walking infrastructure, will be introduced. There are also plans to allow residents to block through-traffic from residential streets.
What a country... £2bn. No long turn commitment just a once off sum that will lead to half finished plans. That's the British method.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:41 am

In Edinburgh a good number of new cycle lanes have been marked out around the town during the lockdown.

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:24 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:41 am
In Edinburgh a good number of new cycle lanes have been marked out around the town during the lockdown.
Paint is really cheap. Is there a network? Traffic lights for cyclists? Physically separated cycle lanes? Edinburgh has plenty of wide roads due to the time the trams were introduced but of course taking away a car lane is the crime of the century. Look at the mess of Princess Street. Should have been made a pedestrian precinct years ago. I worked with company that advised the Corporation. They said it was impossible to work with them there was so much corruption. This of course very obvious when the scandal of the new trams took place. Many got rich on that one and the tax payer paid.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:52 pm

No, not a national network, but Edinburgh's not bad for routes out to Cramond, Newhaven, Portie or the Pentlands. The local network is certainly being extended, and wome of the routes are getting harder landscaping than just paint.

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:16 pm

I am talking about a city network and not just a bit here and there. The Scottish country roads are totally unsuitable for cycling. You take life in your own hands to attempt. There was once an attempt to build a cycle lane to Gullane. I dont know if it still exits. I cant see it on Street View. The dual carriageway does but cycle lanes are missing.