The state of the UK

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: The state of the UK

Post by JimC » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:32 am

The implication that could be read into that piece of "information" was pretty clear - I was just wondering whether you subscribed to it or not...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:09 am

Cunt wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:19 am
Why don't you read a bunch of unflattering things into it about me, and I'll just ignore it.
You're making no sense. That's why he's enquiring.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:30 am

More Chumocracy.

Fifth of UK Covid contracts ‘raised red flags for possible corruption’
Report finds ‘apparent systemic bias’ in award of lucrative PPE deals favouring firms connected to Tories

One in five government Covid contracts awarded between February and November 2020 contained one or more red flags for possible corruption and require urgent further investigation, a respected campaign group has warned.

Transparency International UK said a “seriously flawed” arrangement, whereby companies bidding for contracts were prioritised if they were referred into a “VIP lane” by their political connections, had “damaged trust in the integrity of the pandemic response”.

The group said Boris Johnson’s government must urgently disclose the identities of companies awarded public money through the VIP lane, which was set up by the Cabinet Office and the Department of Health and Social Care in the early days of the pandemic.

The government has so far refused to name the companies granted public money through the scheme, citing “commercial confidentiality”. It has previously claimed the purpose of the arrangement was to triage large numbers of offers to help from the private sector.

Transparency International UK said its analysis indicated “apparent systemic biases in the award of PPE contracts that favoured those with political connections to the party of government in Westminster”, contrary to denials by civil servants and Conservative ministers.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:11 am

The Guardian view on textocracy: bring politics back into the open
Editorial wrote:The pandemic justified urgency in decision-making, but the government uses it to evade scrutiny and shirk accountability

The pandemic has driven much activity that used to be conducted in public view into private spaces. Politics is no exception. Covid safety regulations prevent MPs packing the Commons, diminishing the chamber’s power to hold ministers to account. In its early stages, the emergency required some suspension of partisanship. Politics was reduced to the spectacle of the prime minister, flanked by scientific advisers, dispensing instructions on television. The early scramble to fight the virus also apparently required the abandonment of some Whitehall procurement protocol. Vital equipment was needed at short notice. That is the context in which Boris Johnson assured Sir James Dyson that certain tax liabilities could be waived if the inventor’s staff relocated from Singapore to produce hospital ventilators in the UK. The guarantee was made in an exchange of private text messages that only become public this week.

The prime minister has defended his action on the grounds that he was “moving heaven and earth” to procure life-saving equipment. That dodges the issue of whether access to the PM’s phone number should be the basis for deciding how the rules apply, and to whom. Other deserving suppliers had no such privileges.

The defence of expediency might be valid in some circumstances, but it has been used elastically – stretched to cover every decision where corners were cut and contracts awarded to those with personal connection to senior Tories. Distinguishing between necessary short cuts and maladministration is one reason why a thorough inquiry into the government’s handling of the pandemic is needed. There is a limit to the degree of transparency achievable via the Freedom of Information Act, especially with an uncooperative regime.
Just part of Chumocracy.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:41 am

It's Chumocracy all the way down!
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:07 am

I'm sure the dole fraudsters who rely on their chums to aid and abet their nefarious doings would be very flattered to be so compared to their betters.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:16 am

Svartalf wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:07 am
I'm sure the dole fraudsters who rely on their chums to aid and abet their nefarious doings would be very flattered to be so compared to their betters.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:26 pm

That's a very wise lady.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:44 pm

Ýep Anglo-Saxons are like that. Any tit is a good as the last one.

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:15 pm

Chumocracy! :ab:

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:25 pm

Cameron fucked a pig's head in the mouth. Just saying. :tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:48 pm

Everyone needs a hobby...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:51 am

Don't kink shame.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:23 am

I used to get pretty fucked up back in the day, but I never fucked a dead animal in the head... :?
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:00 am

Did he actually do that, or is this channelling Black Mirror?