The state of the UK

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: The state of the UK

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:42 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:50 am
How can you make it worse? Democracy is like being pregnant. You cant be half pregnant. You have democracy or you dont. I suppose you can have phantom pregnancy.
I suggested you were saying that there's no point in not making UK democracy any worse. Justice Kerr warns that the state of democracy is precarious and that the government are seeking to undermine judicial oversight of their actions -- the context here is the government's recent practice of drafting Bills which exempt them from their legal obligation not to act unlawfully -- and you think that such a warning is pointless because... he's a toff who knows how to use a fish knife?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:49 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:42 am
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:50 am
How can you make it worse? Democracy is like being pregnant. You cant be half pregnant. You have democracy or you dont. I suppose you can have phantom pregnancy.
I suggested you were saying that there's no point in not making UK democracy any worse. Justice Kerr warns that the state of democracy is precarious and that the government are seeking to undermine judicial oversight of their actions -- the context here is the government's recent practice of drafting Bills which exempt them from their legal obligation not to act unlawfully -- and you think that such a warning is pointless because... he's a toff who knows how to use a fish knife?
I'm sure that Scot meant that every aspect of life, politics, the economy and society in the UK is so utterly abysmal that it is simply impossible for it to get any worse...

Sorry, Brian, but you're completely and utterly fucked - the expert from the nether regions hath spoken... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:44 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:42 am
he's a toff who knows how to use a fish knife?
I use my Bowie for both guttin and eatin. Saves washin up.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:45 am

JimC wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:49 pm
... Sorry, Brian, but you're completely and utterly fucked ... :tea:
As are we all under under Capitalism! ✊

Scott's mistake is to assume that I'm motivated towards the kind of reflexive and absolute defence of my country of residence that he reserves for his own nation.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:04 am

I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:30 pm

Wrong thread. Bound to be expected of course.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

laklak

Post by laklak » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:51 pm

Not everything is horrible about the UK. There's the weather, well, not that. OK the pubs. Ah, they're fucking closed. I got it - the NHS! Wait, it's bankrupt.

Gregg's sausage rolls and late night Doner Kebabs. Ha! Beat that.

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:17 pm

laklak wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:51 pm
Not everything is horrible about the UK. There's the weather, well, not that. OK the pubs. Ah, they're fucking closed. I got it - the NHS! Wait, it's bankrupt.

Gregg's sausage rolls and late night Doner Kebabs. Ha! Beat that.
Now that White Lightning is no longer available, I don't really see the point of going there.
BArF−4

laklak

Post by laklak » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:00 pm

I feel the same way, except it's because my father-in-law moved there. Unfortunately he's moving back to South Africa.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:54 pm

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:48 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:53 pm
When Corbyn was elected I spoke against him here ratskep and the Guardian. I was crucified. Corbyn was going to save the Labour Party. He had so many new members at three quid a throw. What happened? He could not change. He was the shop steward. The man of the (smokey) back rooms. Now he is an antisemitic. A lot of Labour Party Kool-Aid was drunk. All the fucking crap from his so called left wing organisations. Now what is left in the UK? Some talking parrot. They have the shitiest government to oppose and what do they do FA! Now they have a laughing boy who is a wet weak in a thunder storm.

Labour in turmoil as Corbyn's allies call for suspension to be lifted
Supporters of ex-leader rally behind him to fight disciplinary action over his response to antisemitism report

Labour was plunged into turmoil after the party suspended Keir Starmer’s predecessor, Jeremy Corbyn, in the wake of a damning report into antisemitism that found the party responsible for unlawful acts of harassment and discrimination.

The decision to suspend Corbyn for saying the problem of antisemitism within Labour was “dramatically overstated for political reasons” by opponents and the media sent shockwaves through the party and led to rumours of a split.
What if the problem of anti-Semitism within the Labour Party has been dramatically overstated for political reasons? What light might that shed on the situation?

Frank Zappa

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:52 am

laklak wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:00 pm
I feel the same way, except it's because my father-in-law moved there. Unfortunately he's moving back to South Africa.
Is he a Boetjie from Brakpan?
BArF−4

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:31 am

Corbyn still being the same useless cunt but of course it has been blown out of all proportion.

An end to Labour's antisemitism controversy seems as far away as ever
The EHRC’s measured tone contrasted with Starmer’s dramatic suspension of Corbyn. Neither will bring resolution

Keir Starmer’s unexpected decision to suspend Jeremy Corbyn from the Labour party was in stark contrast to the cool and measured tone of the long-awaited Equality and Human Rights Commission report into antisemitism in Labour, which carefully avoided the attribution of personal responsibility. One of the defining features of the Labour antisemitism controversy has been the intense passions it generates. Amid this maelstrom, the EHRC intervened with the technical language of law and institutional process. Starmer has responded with a disciplinary action that will, at least in the short run, inflame this bitter dispute.

Nevertheless, that coolness of tone does not take away from the force of the report. The fact that a party that regards anti-racism as central to its self-definition – particularly during the Corbyn years – has been investigated for racism is shocking in and of itself. It is devastating that the Labour party was found to have breached the Equality Act – both through harassment committed by its “agents” and “indirect discrimination”, in the form of political interference in complaints procedures, unclear and chaotic institutional responses and inadequate training.

Even before Starmer’s move to suspend Corbyn, it was already obvious that the EHRC findings were not going to be the last word on this subject. Those who defend the legacy of the Corbyn years will seize upon the lack of direct condemnation of Corbyn himself, and the fact that only two individuals (one of them Ken Livingstone, who left the party under threat of expulsion) are directly accused of unlawful harassment. That means that defenders of Corbyn can argue that Starmer’s decision was an overreaction.

Conversely, among those who opposed Corbyn, the finding that the party has acted unlawfully is likely to be mischaracterised by some as a top-to-bottom condemnation. There will be others who are disappointed that the party was not found to be “institutionally racist” – and that there was no demand for action against Corbyn.

The scope of the EHRC’s investigation was, in fact, tightly constrained, as are the remedies it has the power to enforce. And it is this restraint that will be manipulated and selectively interpreted in the firestorm of responses to the report. Even if the party complies with the EHRC’s requirements in the fullest, speediest and most exemplary manner the report will nevertheless feed into and exacerbate pre-existing conflicts within the party, the British Jewish population and the wider public.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

laklak

Post by laklak » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:40 pm

rainbow wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:52 am
laklak wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:00 pm
Is he a Boetjie from Brakpan?
A rooinek saltpil.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:46 pm

With the anti-semitic thing, how much of it was a by-product of the fairly standard left-wing anti-Zionist and pro Palestinian stance?
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!