Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Re: George Floyd protests

Post by Cunt » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:09 pm

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:54 pm
Cunt wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:20 pm
What was that other 5%? Over 2 billion in insurance claims in 2020?

Yeah, them keystone kops though, those are the problem.

Your focus gives away which violence you are willing to accept.
Indeed. One can use the same logic in regard to your apparent priorities. You're all up on your hind legs about property damage, but killing black people? not so much of a concern, it would seem.
Oh, I doubt you can tell me the numbers of unarmed black people killed in the US each year by police.

I further doubt you can tell me the numbers of unarmed black people shot by Chicago criminals.

But do go on about my hind legs. It's cute.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:43 pm

Chicago! Attaboy. You're such a good, obedient alt-right puppet, Cunt. :treat:
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:00 pm

Cunt wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:06 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:43 pm
Yes, police misconduct is a problem. Not only has our history of bad policing ruined countless lives, it also cost cities a lot of money every year in lawsuits.

--//--

I'm not sure how acknowledging the pitfalls of violent protests makes bad policing less of a problem. :dunno:
How many unarmed people are shot by police each year, in the US?

How big a problem is it, compared to the deaths by riots (as an example)?
I believe excessive force is the most common complaint, however police misconduct isn't limited to just excessive force. Other serious problems include things like coerced confessions, failing to provide aid, and racial profiling.

--//--

As for unarmed people shot, somewhat disturbingly it's not easy to find out. The Washington Post started --in 2015, I think-- to track police shootings. From that data some 6% have been unarmed. I think that will fair poorly when compared to police forces in other relatively wealthy countries.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:03 pm

That Chicago mail though, really.... ?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:58 pm

Cunt wrote:
Sean Hayden wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:43 pm
Yes, police misconduct is a problem. Not only has our history of bad policing ruined countless lives, it also cost cities a lot of money every year in lawsuits.

--//--

I'm not sure how acknowledging the pitfalls of violent protests makes bad policing less of a problem. :dunno:
How many unarmed people are shot by police each year, in the US?

How big a problem is it, compared to the deaths by riots (as an example)?
How many people died by riots last year?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:48 pm

Cunt wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:09 pm
L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:54 pm
Cunt wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:20 pm
What was that other 5%? Over 2 billion in insurance claims in 2020?

Yeah, them keystone kops though, those are the problem.

Your focus gives away which violence you are willing to accept.
Indeed. One can use the same logic in regard to your apparent priorities. You're all up on your hind legs about property damage, but killing black people? not so much of a concern, it would seem.
Oh, I doubt you can tell me the numbers of unarmed black people killed in the US each year by police.
Fatal police shootings of unarmed Black people in US more than 3 times as high as in Whites

Overall fatal shooting rate not budged in 5 years; ‘public health emergency’ say researchers

The rate of fatal police shootings of unarmed Black people in the US is more than 3 times as high as it is among White people, finds research published online in the Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health.

And the total numbers of Black, Indigenous and People of Colour (BIPOC) killed in police shootings hasn’t budged over the past 5 years, prompting the researchers to describe the figures as a “public health emergency."

Deaths caused by police violence in the US are disproportionately high among BIPOC, but it’s not clear if the rate of these deaths might have changed over time.

The researchers therefore looked at trends in fatal police shootings, overall, and according to whether the victim was armed, to quantify years of life lost across racial/ethnic groups between 2015 and 2020.

They drew on publicly available data compiled by The Washington Post on every person killed by on-duty police officers in the US during this period.

The data, which were sourced from local news reports, independent databases, and additional reporting at the paper, include details of the race, age and sex of the victims, as well any item in their possession perceived to be a weapon.

The researchers calculated the rate of death and years of life lost by race/ethnic group for all fatal police shootings per quarter, per million (pqpm) of the population from 2015 to the first quarter of 2020; and for fatal police shootings involving an unarmed victim, per half-year per million (phpm) of the population, from 2015 to 2019.

Estimates of years of life lost were based on national historical life expectancy data for US citizens in the victim’s birth year compared with their actual age at death.

Some 5367 fatal police shootings were reported by the Washington Post from 2015 to May 2020; missing details on race/ethnicity or age left a total of 4653 deaths for analysis.

Half the shooting fatalities were of Whites (51%), followed by Blacks (27%), Hispanics (19%), Asians (2%) and Native Americans (nearly 2%). Given the racial/ethnic proportions of the US population, the disproportionate killings of BIPOC point to a public health crisis, say the researchers.

The average age at death was 34, but Black victims tended to be younger (30) while White victims tended to be older (38).

There was a small, but statistically significant, 1% fall in the death rate for White victims only over the 5 year period.

Average deaths per quarter were highest among Native Americans (1.74 pqpm), followed by Blacks (1.49 pqpm), Hispanics (0.74 pqpm), Whites (0.57 pqpm) and Asians (0.25 pqpm).

Native Americans were 3 times more likely to be shot dead than Whites, while Blacks were more than 2.5 times, and Hispanics 29% more likely; deaths among Asians were significantly lower than among Whites.

The victims were unarmed in 1 in 6 (753;16%) fatal shootings. Rates among unarmed Black and Hispanic victims were significantly higher than they were among White victims: more than 3 times as high and 45% higher, respectively.

These unarmed deaths contributed significantly to years of life lost:15,037 out of 29,099 such deaths. Unarmed victims were also younger than the overall victim pool.
https://www.bmj.com/company/newsroom/fa ... in-whites/
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:59 pm

so 753 fatal shootings nationally, in 5 years. . Now, how to weigh that against Seabass dismissing deaths by shootings in Chicago.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/chi ... s-75005949
Chicago ends 2020 with 769 homicides as gun violence surges
Let me think a bit, about how important each issue is. I already thought police reform was valuable, but knowing the scale of the problem, compared to other life-threatening problems, can be helpful.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:24 pm

Cunt wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:59 pm
so 753 fatal shootings nationally, in 5 years. . Now, how to weigh that against Seabass dismissing deaths by shootings in Chicago.

Let me think a bit, about how important each issue is. I already thought police reform was valuable, but knowing the scale of the problem, compared to other life-threatening problems, can be helpful.
If the raison d'être of being a criminal were to uphold the law rather than to kill unarmed people you might have a point.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:29 am

Cunt wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:59 pm

I've come to expect this sort of blatant misrepresentation in your posts. It's lame when your right wing blowhard heroes do it, and it's lame when you do it.

'Chicago! Attaboy. You're such a good, obedient alt-right puppet.' This isn't making light of deadly violence on the streets of a city, it's deriding a willingness to parrot an idiotic right-wing talking point. The issue of American police murdering unarmed black people stands on its own, and deserves to be addressed. The issue of murder in Chicago also stands on its own, and deserves to be addressed. No rationale is produced for trying to tie them together--it's just regurgitating a bit of right-wing rhetoric.

You dismissed police killings of unarmed black people by focusing on property damage resulting from demonstrations protesting those killings. When called on it, you attempted to shift the focus to street violence in Chicago. Anything to avoid addressing the central issue, but there's no actual substance here, just noise.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:53 am

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:29 am
You dismissed police killings of unarmed black people by focusing on property damage resulting from demonstrations protesting those killings. When called on it, you attempted to shift the focus to street violence in Chicago. Anything to avoid addressing the central issue, but there's no actual substance here, just noise.
I didn't and don't dismiss it.

How many unarmed black deaths at the hands of police in 2020 deserves a lot of focus.

So does proportionality. As it is, I think major changes have to come to the police. One clear example, is that decent, smart people here have said that they WILL NOT go be a police.

Smart, ethical people everywhere will say that. We need them.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:29 am

You seem to be assuming that this issue is simply a matter of there being not enough good police officers rather than it covering a range of complex issues aroung policing as an institution - culture, training, public policy, funding, etc etc.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:01 pm

"Good guys with guns."
:funny:
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:01 pm

6C0A88CE-52B3-4209-9BDD-6C6924B3D25E.jpeg
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:01 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:29 am
You seem to be assuming that this issue is simply a matter of there being not enough good police officers rather than it covering a range of complex issues aroung policing as an institution - culture, training, public policy, funding, etc etc.
Nah, just pointing out that if we are to have police, it has to be a job that decent, smart people would do.

Tell me this - if you were doing the job instead of Chauvin that day, do you think you could have managed the situation better, and gotten a different outcome?
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:24 pm

Cunt wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:01 pm
Brian Peacock wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:29 am
Nah, just pointing out that if we are to have police, it has to be a job that decent, smart people would do.

Tell me this - if you were doing the job instead of Chauvin that day, do you think you could have managed the situation better, and gotten a different outcome?
If I'd gone through the same training and worked within the same institutional culture, in the same society with the same social conditions, policing policies, etc etc, perhaps I'd have felt as entitled to behaved the way Chavin did in that situation (and his colleagues standing around watching). Again, your view seems inclined to individualise the issue to the exclusion of everything else, and similarly all I can say what I said before: it's far more complicated than that.

Frank Zappa