The post corona virus thread.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

The post corona virus thread.

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:10 pm

I dont believe this subject can be thrown into the Corona thread. This is even more important than the present situation. We are heading to a totally new society which is what many are looking forward to. Nobody has a real clue of where we are going. In this country they go on about the 1,5m society. How long will we keep up this pretence of keeping 'social distance' or wearing masks? Will it be permanent? No more clubs or society meetings? How will we cope on public transport? Number of passengers has already been halved with no standing. Schools? Offices? Everything is going to change. Electronic tagging? Freedom movement? These will all change. Are we going to accept all these impositions while the rich flaunt the regulations?

Here is one article just to kick off with:

When Covid-19 has done with us, what will be the new normal?
From online GPs and home working to smartphone tracking, the speed at which we are embracing technology is unprecedented – but can we trust it?

Pandemics – as the historian Yuval Noah Harari has observed – press the fast-forward button on history. Suddenly, changes that would in pre-corona times have generated years of debate, dissent, hesitation, opposition and delay turn out to be possible overnight.

Exhibit A in this context is the way in which hundreds of thousands of white-collar workers are suddenly able – indeed, required – to work from home.

Exhibit B – more worrying – is the way governments are either already deploying, or actively considering, surveillance technology of such intrusiveness that it would have caused outrage and furious protests even a month ago.

Exhibit C is the decision of the two huge tech companies that control mobile phone technology – Apple with its iOS operating system and Google with Android – to create application programming interfaces (APIs) that will enable governments to build and deploy proximity-tracking apps on every smartphone in the world. This is remarkable in two ways. One, it involves cooperation between the two members of a global duopoly that would normally trigger antitrust suits – yet there hasn’t been even a whimper from competition authorities. And two, the companies insist that if governments do not comply with the conditions that they – Apple and Google – are laying down, then they will withdraw the APIs. The specific condition is that apps using the APIs are not mandatory for citizens. They have to be opt-in. So here we have two powerful global corporations laying down the law to territorial sovereigns. Unthinkable a month ago. But now…
Dont think it will not be that bad. The sense of power is getting to many and they are not going to give it up.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Re: The post corona virus thread.

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:16 pm

We're already getting back to normal e.g. stay at home orders lifted, things opened back up etc, way too early if you ask me. But that's 'merica for you.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:17 pm

One of those links in the article:

COVID and forced experiments
At the beginning of this year (which now feels like 100 years ago), I gave a presentation on macro trends in tech, at an event in Davos. There were lots of charts, but I think this one matters most. In 2017, 40% of new relationships in the USA began in a smartphone app. By 2019 that was probably closer to 50%.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:19 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:16 pm
We're already getting back to normal e.g. stay at home orders lifted, things opened back up etc, way too early if you ask me. But that's 'merica for you.
So you dont think anything will change?

There will not be a football match played here until October.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:25 pm

What do you have mind? Here, even sports will probably start back up soon. School is online until fall.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:42 pm

So quickly? Crowds are not aproblem?

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:45 pm

I'm certainly not looking forward to crowds, but I don't run things. :biggrin: I went out to pick up an order the other day and was surprised by the number of people out and about shopping. But, again, this is 'merica.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:53 pm

Beaches opening back up again. There were pictures of large crowds on Jacksonville Beach, until it came out that the media was using old shots from before the pandemic. Live drone footage showed very few people, all of whom were obeying social distancing rules. You can't actually get any lower than a fucking reporter these days, they're lower than snake shit.

This whole shitshow has only solidified my attitudes. The VAST majority of people are ugly, inbred, and stupid. The vast majority of politicians are vile pigs. The vast majority of media are filthy slime.

Fuck all of them. I hope they all get The Rona and die slowly, choking to death on their own fucking snot and blood.

Not that I'm bitter.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:10 pm

Trump seems to want to kill off his base. Weird.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:23 pm

I've tried to tell you Trump ain't the US. My county has lifted stay-at-home orders, the county next door hasn't. The gov favors lifting, the gov in Texas is weaker than just about any other state gov in the US.......thousands of different governments in the US.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:41 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:10 pm
Why are you even bothered given you think it's all an over-hyped nothing burger?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:51 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:41 pm
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:10 pm
Why are you even bothered given you think it's all an over-hyped nothing burger?
Could not care a fuck but it is an odd action to take. I am sorry your eyes are still full of propaganda gel. Your are meant to put it on your hands you know.

What's a 'nothing burger' when it is at home. Something like a Corbyn conspiracy?

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:58 am

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:16 am

Paranoid old fart.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:21 am

He's just got high cortisol levels that's all.
  • nothingburger
    something lame, dead-end, a dud, insignificant; especially something with high expectations that turns out to be average, pathetic, or overhyped.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT