Spygate is unravelling

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Re: Spygate is unravelling

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:57 am

The faithful henchman was busy as well. US Attorney General Barr has removed the US Attorneys at the top of the District of Columbia, the Southern District of New York, and now the Eastern District of New York. All three were overseeing investigations either of interest to Trump or involving him more or less directly. Barr's tried to replaced them with his hand-picked toadies. It didn't work with the Southern District of New York, but this time it did.

'Barr taps former aide to take over as U.S. attorney for Eastern District of New York'
The top federal prosecutor in Brooklyn is leaving his post for a job at the U.S. Justice Department in Washington.

Richard Donoghue, the U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of New York, told his staff Thursday that he will become the top deputy to Deputy Attorney General Jeffrey A. Rosen.

The change takes effect on Monday, said John Marzulli, a spokesman for the U.S. attorney’s office.

The Justice Department later Friday posted a statement indicating that Attorney General William Barr had installed Seth D. DuCharme as acting United States attorney for the Eastern District. DuCharme acted as counsel to Barr from March to December 2019.

“Seth has served the Department with distinction during his time at Main Justice,” stated Attorney General Barr, according to the DOJ statement. “He is a talented and experienced prosecutor who manages with a steady hand. His experience in prosecuting violent crime, terrorism, and public corruption, will serve him well in his return to New York to lead the office. The Deputy Attorney General and I look forward to working with him in his new role.”

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:17 am

The power of US politicians to control and influence the US "justice" system has never ceased to amaze me...

What part of the "separation of powers " don't Americans get?
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:29 am

That's where the dream fits in. I could be the next Stone. :biggrin:

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:46 am

This banana republic shit is not how it normally works, and not how it has worked in the past. As originally intended in US Constitution, a part of the rationale for the inherently anti-democratic electoral college was that it would prevent a blatantly corrupt individual from getting elected president. That function was eroded away. The electoral college is still inherently anti-democratic, and never really performed in the way intended. It isn't the guard-rail it was supposed to be.

The US Constitution has other safeguards written into it, but they can be overcome if enough legislators are willing to ignore their duty and facilitate corruption, while perhaps indulging in some of their own. I dare say that no democracy is immune to a widespread outbreak of corruption in government. Excepting of course, as always, the Netherlands.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:17 am

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:46 am
This banana republic shit is not how it normally works, and not how it has worked in the past. As originally intended in US Constitution, a part of the rationale for the inherently anti-democratic electoral college was that it would prevent a blatantly corrupt individual from getting elected president. That function was eroded away. The electoral college is still inherently anti-democratic, and never really performed in the way intended. It isn't the guard-rail it was supposed to be.

The US Constitution has other safeguards written into it, but they can be overcome if enough legislators are willing to ignore their duty and facilitate corruption, while perhaps indulging in some of their own. I dare say that no democracy is immune to a widespread outbreak of corruption in government. Excepting of course, as always, the Netherlands.
Perhaps the over-reliance of the US on electing any public officials down to the town dog-catcher is not really a paragon of democracy, but an invitation to populism and corruption...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:24 am

From Just Security, a look at current machinations by the Trump campaign apparatus (in which I include the Trumpists in Congress and Attorney General Barr's Department of Justice), and at facts and evidence pertaining to the Obamagate story. There is some reasonable sketching out of the probable Trumpist game plan.

I'll concede that facts and evidence aren't relevant to the fable told by Trumpists about the treasonous actions of Obama and his Deep State cronies. The fable and the OP are similar in that they're both impervious to facts and evidence. Still, for the rest of us it's perhaps worthwhile to be aware of them.

The Trump campaign apparatus will be attempting an all out smear initiative, flinging as many concocted accusations and investigations at the Obama administration and Biden as they can in the final months of the presidential campaign. The Durham report should be very entertaining, but they might hold that back for a while if they think it's going to have a real impact.

Meanwhile, subpoenas have been issued, and the Republicans will hold hearings on all the dastardly deeds of the infamous Barack Hussein Obama & Co.

'The Life and Adventures of Ron Johnson: His Journey Through “Multiple Untruths” to the Fable of Obamagate'
The summer hearings seem barely disguised as preparation for an October Surprise. Barr has emerged from the shadows just as the previously moribund Senate committees suddenly have stirred to life as “Obamagate” star chambers. In a symbiotic relationship, the Senate operations will orchestrate propaganda for Fox News and the Wurlitzer of right-wing media in an overture to Durham’s report and possible indictments that may be sprung during the climax of the presidential campaign. “I’m going to do this through October,” Graham tellingly said in a June 5 interview on Fox News. At his hearing authorizing subpoenas, he filled the air with threatening cries. “Comey and McCabe and that whole crowd — their day is coming,” he said. He felt compelled to demean Robert Mueller and the Mueller Report as “off script.” The lengthy list of names he brandished “need to be fired, they need to be disciplined”—though none are in any current government position from which they could be “fired” or “disciplined”—or, Graham threatened, “they are good candidates to go to jail.” Another Republican member of the committee, Senator Chuck Grassley, of Iowa, appearing to have a flashback, railed about Hillary Clinton. “What did Hillary Clinton know about the dossier and when did she know it?” he chimed in. But Hillary Clinton is not on the subpoena list, at least for now.
Fair warning, it's a rather long read.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:54 am

Reminds me of having to read Edward Gibbon at school. Long, boring, and inevitable.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:53 am

The US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit will hold an en banc hearing on the Flynn case. They could have declined, in which case Trumpists and especially the 'Obama spied on Trump!!!' enthusiasts would be celebrating. The fact that they're going to hear the case means that Flynn isn't in the free and clear just yet.

'Full D.C. Circuit Court Agrees to Rehear Michael Flynn Case'
The U.S Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit on Thursday agreed to rehear the case regarding Michael Flynn’s request for a writ of mandamus — or, in other words, to force the trial court judge overseeing the matter to dismiss it without sentencing him after pleading guilty to lying to federal authorities.

The petition for the en banc hearing was filed by U.S. District Judge Emmet Sullivan after a three-judge panel on the D.C. Circuit previously granted Flynn’s emergency petition [requesting that they force Sullivan to dismiss Flynn's case] on June 24.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:54 am

Wasn't Hillary supposed to be in prison for selling pizza to minors?

I miss Cnut, can't we let her back?
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:56 am

NineBerry wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:23 pm
I hope the saints consented to be fucked
St Stephen was stoned, and you can't consent while under the influence of substances.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:09 am

:lol:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:54 am

How are we going to know if it's unravelled without Cunt here to tell us?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:56 am

Nip over to Parler and ask him. :tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Joe

Post by Joe » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:12 pm

You know the member from Yellowknife doesn't answer questions. :hehe:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

BarnettNewman
extemporaneous

Post by BarnettNewman » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:46 pm

So has it unravelled yet?

Meanwhile

Steve Bannon, three others charged with fraud in border wall fundraising campaign - CNNPolitics
New York federal prosecutors on Thursday charged President Donald Trump's former campaign adviser Steve Bannon and three others with defrauding donors of hundreds of thousands of dollars as part of a fundraising campaign purportedly aimed at supporting Trump's border wall.

Bannon was arrested Thursday morning, according to a spokesman for the US attorney's office. Bannon's lawyer did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Bannon will make his initial court appearance in New York later Thursday, according to the US attorney's office