The Coronavirus Thread

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:21 pm

There's so much testosterone here I think I just fell pregnant. :tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:43 pm

Another failure by the Trump administration. States are having to outbid each other for ventilators and protective gear. There's no reason for the federal government not to coordinate this.

Louisiana governor: States are competing against each other for ventilators
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:57 am

There has been a certain amount of jostling between our states here in Oz as well, but a major advance was the formation of a national war cabinet, bringing the Prime Minister, health advisors and state Premiers together via regular video hook-ups.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:29 am

laklak wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:04 pm
I just love this guy.

So do I. He's good at cherry picking, isn't he? There are 33 countries with fewer guns/population and a higher suicide rate than the USA and 150 countries with fewer guns/population and a lower suicide rate. So he picks two from the former.

I also love the implicit equivocation of gun regulation and gun ban.

I must confess that I stopped listening at the fourth reference to the second amendment (around the six minute mark), though.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:28 am

laklak wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:04 pm
I just love this guy. I didn't choose the #pewpew life, the #pewpew life chose me. Why do so many progressive men look like Pajama Boy? Is it the Problemglasses? The faux lumberjack shirt (you KNOW this guy has never held an actual axe in his hands)? He looks like he's about to cry through the whole video.
I need to do further research. My citation below is faulty--the original was written in 1964, and the Google Books edition is listed as being published in 1964, but the US national ban on assault weapons did not come into effect until much later.

I got to 30 seconds, where the 'pewpew' luminary claimed that the term 'assault weapon' was 'made up' supposedly in 1989. Amazing example of time travel results, from a book written in 1964:

Regardless, the term 'assault rifle' was undoubtedly in use previous to 1989. From 1967: The World's Assault Rifles and Automatic Carbines
Last edited by L'Emmerdeur on Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:35 am

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:36 am

Politicians are politically risk-averse. They don't want to be seen to be taking action on mere possibilities because if and/or when a possibility doesn't arrive their judgement is called into question and they are criticised for making the wrong choice. This might explain why governments around the world, including the UK have waited for a certain threshold of cases/deaths to manifest before taking seriously the possibility that, as currently predicted, 20% of the over 80s and 10% of 70-80 year olds who get Covid-19 will die.

If those possibilities played out at that level in the UK that would amount to around 500,000 extra deaths in a relatively short amount of time. The health sector, not to mention funeral services, would be overwhelmed. To put that figure in perspective the most recent figures from the National Records Office and published by the Office for National Statistics show that there were 541,589 registered deaths in the UK in the period 2018-19. The possibility of a year's worth of deaths in a 2 month period should be enough to gird any politician into action.

That possible spike in mortality rates in the UK has been highlighted to the governemnt, and now the public, by the work of the Department of Infectious Diseases at Kings College, London. Those worse-case figures are based on the currently available data - that data being not only the cases and deaths numbers but also accounting for the fact that Covid-19 is about 10x more likely to kill you if you get it than the regular flu and it's about 4x more contagious. That data is being refined daily, but even if the risk turns out to be half of that it would still mean 250,000 deaths in a very small window. Of course, the risk may turn out to be only 1% (5000) in that demographic, but in order to secure that figure as a fact (or any assured infection:mortality*risk figure) more data is required. This is also why systematic testing of those presenting with symptoms, along with random testing within the population at large, is vital and necessary to inform public health policy.

"There’s undoubtedly going to be more people infected than we know about, there’s going to be people with mild symptomology who don’t think much about it. The more we test, the more we find, the less of those unknowns there will be. I think that’s the lesson coming out of South Korea, where they’ve done a lot of testing, where they’ve really understood that there’s a lot more people infected."
– Professor Stuart Neil, Head of Department, Infectious Diseases, Kings College, London.

Frank Zappa

Galaxian
About me: Too old & too far away from the Beloved...

Post by Galaxian » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:17 am

JimC wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:07 pm
Those older folk on the forum may remember the one hit wonder "My Sharona"
Surely some clever band somewhere has produced an altered cover, "My Corona"
Should be a really catchy song... :tea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojrtwXqqc6g
:drunk:
The true seeker looks for the truth wherever it may be and readily accepts it, without shame, without hope for reward and without fear of punishment._Sam Nejad
There's no Mercy. There's no Justice. There is only Natural Selection! _Galaxian
The more important a news item, the more likely that it's a hidden agenda disinformation_Galaxian
"This world of sheeple has no hope!" Thus just 13 years left before extinction by AI_ Galaxian

Galaxian

Post by Galaxian » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:17 am

Most would have noticed that the various politicians are vying with each other for points as to who proposes the most severe laws. We already have mass arrest of entire populations & imprisonment in solitary confinement, enforced by the police & miltary... but voluntarily obeyed by the sheeple.

Most people keep trusting the politicians & bureaucrats, the doctors & judges, thinking that there are divine, largely infallible persons and committees who only want the best for the rest of us. And any mistakes they make are few & far between & unintended. Any corruption discovered must have been done by a very few bad apples and is always uncovered & corrected by the pristine institutions.

Here's David Icke in conversation with Jeff Rense. Better than most stuff, but still optimistic that things can be turned around by an enlightened public. But Galaxian knows that we are in a final set of moves. There is NOTHING that can be done to reverse the course of events. This Covid-19 bio-weapon pandemic is just a social engineering preamble to the 1 Billion mortality pandemic in 3 years time and the 6 Billion death pandemic later in this decade, as soon as versatile robots are available. That leaves just 5 years after the mass extermination for the last few hundred million to be eliminated, leaving the planet the exclusive domain of AI.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGRFn0hx8dM
:coffee:
The true seeker looks for the truth wherever it may be and readily accepts it, without shame, without hope for reward and without fear of punishment._Sam Nejad
There's no Mercy. There's no Justice. There is only Natural Selection! _Galaxian
The more important a news item, the more likely that it's a hidden agenda disinformation_Galaxian
"This world of sheeple has no hope!" Thus just 13 years left before extinction by AI_ Galaxian

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:41 am

I am confused. Are the ruling elite aliens, reptiloids or ai-controlled robots?

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:49 am

a mix of the three, our upheavals are a result of the thruggles between the three factions.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:14 pm

Ventilators are just fancy vacuum cleaners:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/26/tech/dys ... index.html
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Galaxian

Post by Galaxian » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:15 pm

NineBerry wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:41 am
The one we have most evidence for is AI. So, as soon as versatile robots are available, it will be AI controlled robots.
The takeover should be complete by about 2035, by which time only a few tiny primitive tribes will be allowed to exist, in Greenland, Siberia, Central Australian desert, some isolated Pacific islands, in the Amazon, New Guinea, etc, for amusement & research. But they'll not know of each other or be allowed to travel very far to discover each other. :coffee:

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:23 pm

The Coronavirus Is a Disaster for Feminism

Pandemics affect men and women differently.

Enough already. When people try to be cheerful about social distancing and working from home, noting that William Shakespeare and Isaac Newton did some of their best work while England was ravaged by the plague, there is an obvious response: Neither of them had child-care responsibilities.

Shakespeare spent most of his career in London, where the theaters were, while his family lived in Stratford-upon-Avon. During the plague of 1606, the playwright was lucky to be spared from the epidemic—his landlady died at the height of the outbreak—and his wife and two adult daughters stayed safely in the Warwickshire countryside. Newton, meanwhile, never married or had children. He saw out the Great Plague of 1665–6 on his family’s estate in the east of England, and spent most of his adult life as a fellow at Cambridge University, where his meals and housekeeping were provided by the college.

For those with caring responsibilities, an infectious-disease outbreak is unlikely to give them time to write King Lear or develop a theory of optics. A pandemic magnifies all existing inequalities (even as politicians insist this is not the time to talk about anything other than the immediate crisis). Working from home in a white-collar job is easier; employees with salaries and benefits will be better protected; self-isolation is less taxing in a spacious house than a cramped apartment. But one of the most striking effects of the coronavirus will be to send many couples back to the 1950s. Across the world, women’s independence will be a silent victim of the pandemic.
Cont.
https://www.theatlantic.com/internation ... to9XWlHQFU
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:58 pm

Galaxian wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:15 pm
NineBerry wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:41 am
The one we have most evidence for is AI. So, as soon as versatile robots are available, it will be AI controlled robots.
The takeover should be complete by about 2035, by which time only a few tiny primitive tribes will be allowed to exist, in Greenland, Siberia, Central Australian desert, some isolated Pacific islands, in the Amazon, New Guinea, etc, for amusement & research. But they'll not know of each other or be allowed to travel very far to discover each other. :coffee:
I want more life, father!