The Coronavirus Thread

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Post by Cunt » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:43 pm

When businesses in my area switch to 'mask required', I use that as an opportunity to engage their 'parking lot service'. Seems a lot safer than wearing masks, and expecting others to, while keeping their noses out.

tl:dr - humans don't comply well
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:22 am

Cunt wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:06 pm
So those biologists are saying that the virus leaked from a lab in Wuhan.
So those climatologists are saying that global warming is a lie.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:43 am

Cunt wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:12 pm
NineBerry wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:09 pm
So, those geologists are saying that the Earth is flat...
Sorry, two PhD's...
True to form, Daggles. You started with "those biologists are saying". No names, no pack drill. Now it's two PhDs.

One of has no professional expertise in virology and the other one has neither a PhD nor any qualifications in biology at all. He has an MBA from the Columbia Business School at Columbia University and describes himself as a serial biotech entrepreneur, longevity research evangelist and activist, and a cryonics advocate.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:49 am

Cunt wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:25 pm
...I'll tell the rest of you, this podcast raised some interesting points...

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:05 am

Hermit wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:43 am
Cunt wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:12 pm
NineBerry wrote:
Sorry, two PhD's...
True to form, Daggles. You started with "those biologists are saying". No names, no pack drill. Now it's two PhDs.

One of has no professional expertise in virology and the other one has neither a PhD nor any qualifications in biology at all. He has an MBA from the Columbia Business School at Columbia University and describes himself as a serial biotech entrepreneur, longevity research evangelist and activist, and a cryonics advocate.
It was generic, there IS a list, but it doesn't matter to the point.

The toxic political effects of holding a 'verboten' position has affected investigation into an important issue.

Maybe the guy lied about being a biologist educator who studied bats. He never used his biology credentials to make any points though, so it really didn't matter.

Nice jump though.
https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cH ... HQAAAAAQAg
In this 62nd in a series of live discussions with Bret Weinstein and Heather Heying (both PhDs in Biology), we discuss the state of the world through an evolutionary lens. In this episode, we discuss the value of gratitude, always but especially now. We pivot to the lab leak hypothesis, and what its discussion in the mainstream media means for the ability of society at large to consider what might be true regarding the origins of SARS-CoV2. We discuss what happened in the Capitol on January 6, and and the ensuing censorship and purges by the big tech platforms. We see the boot coming down hard and fast, with calls from U.S. Representatives to refocus our concern on events and enemies within our own borders. Finally, a reading from Thich Nhat Hanh’s 2012 book, Fear: Essential Wisdom for Getting Through the Storm.
I don't know who you were talking about, but as I said, it doesn't have anything to do with the point. Well, unless I'm wrong, then you get to say so, and have me say yes, you got me again.

If you ARE interested in knowing the strength of the 'lab leak hypothesis', you might want to browse a bit of prose quoted in the podcast.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article ... heory.html

But as I said, the strength of the theory isn't as relevant as the response to it from the general public.

I'm not sure what you would hate about a far-left academic, but you do you.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:35 am

Cunt wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:05 am
It was generic, there IS a list, but it doesn't matter to the point.

The toxic political effects of holding a 'verboten' position has affected investigation into an important issue.

Maybe the guy lied about being a biologist educator who studied bats. He never used his biology credentials to make any points though, so it really didn't matter.

Nice jump though.
Speaking of jumps, you went from "So those biologists are saying that the virus leaked from a lab in Wuhan" to "two PhD's" and the lab escape, intentionally or accidentally has become "just a theory" meriting attention. Further, after invoking the authority of the initially alleged "two PhD's you now discount your argumentum ab auctoritate by saying that authority doesn't really matter. If it did not, maybe you should not have brought it up in the first place.

That said, I do place more trust in people who have spent years studying the field they are talking about, and for which they have received formal certificates of competence, be they a humble BSc, an intermediate MSc, or a PhD than those who speak about a field of knowledge outside the ones they are formally qualified to speak about, or those who have no qualifications at all.

Like JimC, I also do not deny the possibility that the Novel Coronavirus escaped from a laboratory in Wuhan, but given the near unanimous opinion by virologists and epidemiologists that this is highly unlikely, I tend to be more sceptical about that theory than the alternative.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:51 am

But you've got to listen to people with a right wing lunatic conspiracy theory view. That they are biased is a good thing, apparently.
Last edited by pErvinalia on Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:52 am

Hermit wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:35 am

Speaking of jumps, you went from "So those biologists are saying that the virus leaked from a lab in Wuhan" to "two PhD's" and the lab escape, intentionally or accidentally has become "just a theory" meriting attention.
That is a bit of a giveaway. In science, Theory doesn't mean "hunch":
a scientific theory is the framework for observations and facts
https://www.livescience.com/21491-what- ... heory.html

...so some pseudoscience from Cnut.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:53 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:51 am
But you've got to listen to people with a right wing lunatic conspiracy theory view. That they are biased is a good thing, apparently.
Well, this one is a far-left academic, but knowing where he is coming from adds a kind of trust to what he is saying at times.

People who are good at hiding their real goals are much more successful in politics.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:24 am

Cunt wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:11 pm
and a bit more...
If one of the first thoughts that goes through the head of a lab director at the Wuhan Institute of Virology is that the new coronavirus could have come from her lab, then we are obliged to entertain the scientific possibility that it could indeed have come from her lab. Right then, there should have been a comprehensive, pockets-inside-out, fully public investigation of the Virology Institute, along with the other important virus labs in Wuhan, including the one close by the seafood market, headquarters of the Wuhan CDC. There should have been interviews with scientists, interviews with biosafety teams, close parsings of laboratory notebooks, freezer and plumbing and decontamination systems checks — everything. It didn’t happen. The Wuhan Institute of Virology closed down its databases of viral genomes, and the Chinese Ministry of Education sent out a directive: “Any paper that traces the origin of the virus must be strictly and tightly managed.”
Sure be awkward if it turned outh that Shi was legit. That kind of responsibility could cost the CCP a fair amount of money.

Of course, avoiding financial responsibility for a giant mistake is a silly reason to think science isn't scienceing right.

BP, the most recent paper published by Dr. Gad Saad addresses it clearly, and to everyone's satisfaction.
The CCP deserves much blame for their initial handling of the outbreak, for covering up and for being absurdly defensive when confronted by international demands for a comprehensive inquiry. They are a dangerous, authoritarian government that needs to be opposed. Having said all that, it does not follow that the outbreak involved a deliberate virus release (which would have been absurd) or even an accidental release.

You don't need to believe in conspiracy theories to oppose the Chinese government, but it is not helpful to make racist innuendos about Chinese people, as Trump and the rabid right-wing have frequently done...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:25 am

NineBerry wrote:
But it is. if it weren't, we could never walk around without falling all over the place.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:31 am

Flatness is a relative concept, depending on the scale involved... :levi:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:37 am

no, it's an absolute, as proven by rump's and his proud boyz' EEGs.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:41 am

JimC wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:24 am
Cunt wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:11 pm
and a bit more...
If one of the first thoughts that goes through the head of a lab director at the Wuhan Institute of Virology is that the new coronavirus could have come from her lab, then we are obliged to entertain the scientific possibility that it could indeed have come from her lab. Right then, there should have been a comprehensive, pockets-inside-out, fully public investigation of the Virology Institute, along with the other important virus labs in Wuhan, including the one close by the seafood market, headquarters of the Wuhan CDC. There should have been interviews with scientists, interviews with biosafety teams, close parsings of laboratory notebooks, freezer and plumbing and decontamination systems checks — everything. It didn’t happen. The Wuhan Institute of Virology closed down its databases of viral genomes, and the Chinese Ministry of Education sent out a directive: “Any paper that traces the origin of the virus must be strictly and tightly managed.”
Sure be awkward if it turned outh that Shi was legit. That kind of responsibility could cost the CCP a fair amount of money.

Of course, avoiding financial responsibility for a giant mistake is a silly reason to think science isn't scienceing right.

BP, the most recent paper published by Dr. Gad Saad addresses it clearly, and to everyone's satisfaction.
The CCP deserves much blame for their initial handling of the outbreak, for covering up and for being absurdly defensive when confronted by international demands for a comprehensive inquiry. They are a dangerous, authoritarian government that needs to be opposed. Having said all that, it does not follow that the outbreak involved a deliberate virus release (which would have been absurd) or even an accidental release.

You don't need to believe in conspiracy theories to oppose the Chinese government, but it is not helpful to make racist innuendos about Chinese people, as Trump and the rabid right-wing have frequently done...
Tell me how leaving 'Lab Leak' on the table is racist?

Trump may have made it so, by flicking at your dislike of him.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:01 am

JimC wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:31 am
Flatness is a relative concept, depending on the scale involved... :levi:
Stop bullshitting, Jimbo. If earth were (more or less) spherical we wouldn't even be posting here. We'd have fallen off it.

You sport a BSc, but some flat earth advocates have PhDs. So there. :hmph: