About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:01 am

rainbow wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:12 am
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:12 am
Here is a good quality article from an accepted top class newspaper:

Testen, testen, testen? Eerder wachten, wachten, wachten: waarom het stokt bij de coronatesten
Het overvloedige testen tegen corona dat het kabinet in mei beloofde komt in praktijk maar niet op gang, kreeg Rutte bij de Algemene Beschouwingen te horen. Volgens de een heeft premier Rutte zijn cijfers niet op orde, volgens Rutte zelf komt het doordat ook mensen zonder klachten zich laten testen. Maar hoe zit het nou echt? Drie verklaringen gewogen.
...so which is it?
Is Rutte lying to cover up the fact that the promised tests were never delivered?
...or is Rutte confused by his own figures?
You obviously did not read the whole article as it contains the answer.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:17 am

Can you tell us your login details. I don't want to spend money on subscribing a Dutch newspaper

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:27 am

Is it a pay-wall? Sorry. I never realised that. The same must be true of the Guardian?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:30 am

NineBerry wrote:Can you tell us your login details.
Username: ScotDutchy
Password: ihatetheuk

Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:50 pm

Sinking without trace: rightwing press turns on Boris Johnson
The coronavirus crisis has a formerly friendly media questioning the PM’s leadership

“Where’s Boris?” asked this week’s Spectator, the weekly magazine the prime minister once edited and from which Johnson might once have expected a better press had it not been for the coronavirus crisis.

With a front cover image featuring a distant blond dot on a tiny boat bobbing rudderless and oarless on a stormy sea, the message of chaos and drift from the title was emphatic – a criticism of the prime minister’s leadership in the battle against the pandemic that is being replicated across an increasingly sceptical rightwing media.

“The question now is whether he can become a proper leader with a sense of direction and purpose,” said the magazine’s editor, Fraser Nelson, effectively arguing that Johnson’s premiership was at a crossroads, that a narrative was close to being set.

After a week in which Britain’s test-and-trace system – once intended by the prime minister to be “world-beating” – was at the point of collapse, Nelson asked “whether the pattern we have seen in recent months – of disorder, debacle, rebellion, U-turn and confusion – is what we should henceforth expect”.

Others writing in the same magazine put it more idiosyncratically. “What on earth happened to the freedom-loving, twinkly-eyed, Rabelaisian character I voted for? Oliver Hardy has left the stage, replaced by Oliver Cromwell,” said columnist Toby Young, complaining of a “lack of engagement with the detail”.

Earlier on Thursday, the same day the Spectator cover emerged, the Daily Mail had reached a similar conclusion. “Boris: We’ve Failed” the front-page headline blared, with the paper claiming it had warned of a “looming test crisis five months ago”.

The rightwing tabloid highlighted Johnson’s subdued performance the day before in front of parliament’s liaison committee, where he had been forced to admit that “the short answer” was that there were nowhere near enough Covid tests available.

Only a week earlier, the prime minister talked optimistically about a “moonshot” plan to test millions of people a day as way to return to pre-coronavirus normality. Now he had humiliatingly been forced to admit there were nowhere near enough tests for worried parents at a level closer to 230,000 a day.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:32 pm

Dutch facemasks are the best! You only have to wear it once a week for full effect.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:09 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:44 am
How are you denying science when there is no scientific evidence. The fools are those that believe anything that is told them. This is typical of the misinformed. Why do they wear a mask? Because they believe they are protecting themselves. Now which scientist has said that?
Actually the CDC has made it clear that you should wear a mask to help protect others.

Of course there is evidence. You don't accept the evidence, and that's fine. That is also part of science. But so far I've only seen you counter the evidence with a personal dislike of masks, and of seeing others in masks. That's definitely not scientific.

Obviously people who don't understand science will still like the image, because they believe their health authorities, and or can follow their reasoning. In my opinion many people use "science" and "ability to think" interchangeably. For them it just says that smart people wear a mask. :dunno:

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:03 pm

Where are these great scientific investigations using all the requirements that are required to prove a hypotheses?

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:10 pm

You don't prove hyptotheses. You try to invalidate them and then when everyone cannot do that, you can work with them.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:16 pm

Which is it Dutchy, there is no "scientific evidence", or there is insufficient evidence to convince you?

It's not either proved or not proven scientifically. And if you think studies are about definitely establishing the correctness of a hypothesis, you're going to be sorely disappointed with a lot of scientific investigations. Studies more often than not add to a body of evidence researchers hope supports their hypothesis, and that is where we are on the question of the efficacy of masks.

If you want to argue with the mounting evidence, then please do so.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:48 pm

...that should say something like: more often than not, if they support a hypothesis, they only add to a body of evidence....

Technically, I believe more often than not, studies fail to support the hypothesis.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:03 am

More protests against the Scamdeminc in old Melbourne town.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:43 am

Morons the lot of 'em...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:36 am

Yeah, like the germs are going to listen.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:01 am

Very soon Melbourne is going to have less daily cases than Sydney, but remain locked down, unlike Sydney.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.