The Coronavirus Thread

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:46 am

macdoc wrote:Back to reality :coffee:
What Is COVID Actually Doing to Our Immune Systems?
The research sounds scary. It’s not bunk—but it’s important to understand its purpose.

BY TIM REQUARTH
JAN 31, 20235:45 AM
https://slate.com/technology/2023/01/im ... ml?via=rss
Very similar to the Erasmus study I posted a few days ago. I'm wondering if this might explain my 3-week Xmas flu.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:06 am

Japan at highest death rate of the pandemic

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-64494095
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:47 am

No one is dying from Covid. It doesn't exist.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:12 am

Dictators! :)
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:11 pm

3 dead in every million people, how will they survive that.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:47 pm

It's not the deaths that are the problem.. :coffee:
UK Economy Withers as Covid Puts Workers on the Sidelineshttps://www.nytimes.com › Business › Economy
9 Jan 2023 — Many people who want to work can't because of long-term health problems, ... in a country troubled by high inflation and the economic costs of Brexit
that said ....what's 2-3000 dead Yanks a day ... :roll:
The same trend has been seen in the US, where some 2,000-3,000 Americans are still dying from Covid-19 every week. The Harvard University epidemiologist William Hanage says that he wrote to reporters at one large media organisation in July last year, informing them that if the ongoing weekly death toll was extrapolated to a full year, it would be equivalent to three particularly devastating flu seasons. But such news no longer automatically makes headlines.

"The numbers are actually really quite large," says Hanage. "But one of the things that happens with humans is that things which are constant just become part of the everyday."

Between January and November 2022, more than 248,000 Americans had died from the virus. You could be forgiven for wondering how we have all become so inured to these numbers, as if such a degree of mortality is now little more than mundane.
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2023 ... f-covid-19
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:34 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:11 pm
It has put huge pressure on already strained health systems all over the world, and the legacy of long covid sufferers continues to add more...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:52 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:11 pm
:thinks: Dead people don't survive, it's sort of by definition. :fp:
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:56 pm

One more reason to avoid getting Covid. We wore masks shopping yesterday

https://www.cbc.ca/newsinteractives/fea ... etrayed-me

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:56 am

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2023 ... /101999092
If your last interaction with COVID-19 — either by vaccination or infection — feels like a distant memory, it might be time to book in for a booster shot.

As of this week, all Australian adults who haven't had a COVID-19 booster or a confirmed case of the virus in the past six months are eligible for an additional jab.

And that's not all that's changed: an updated Omicron-specific booster is also set to be rolled out early next month.

The Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI) has advised that Pfizer's bivalent BA.4/5 booster can be used in all people aged 12 years and over.

Here's what you need to know.

As SARS-CoV-2 has spread around the world, the virus evolved in ways that allow it to transmit more easily and better evade pre-existing immunity generated by vaccination and prior infection.

In a bid to keep up with this viral evolution, newer COVID-19 "bivalent" vaccines have been developed to target both the original strain of the virus and newer, more immune-evasive variants.

Pfizer's latest bivalent vaccine is the first booster to be approved in Australia that specifically targets Omicron subvariants BA.4 and BA.5.

Both rose to prominence in 2022, overtaking previous subvariants like BA.1 and BA.2.

Rapidly evolving SARS-CoV-2 variants have driven new waves of infection and reinfection.(Pixabay: BlenderTimer)
The latest jab is the third bivalent vaccine approved for use in Australia, all of which are Omicron-specific.

The first bivalent option was Moderna's (Spikevax) original/BA.1 vaccine which was made available in October last year, shortly followed by Pfizer's original/BA.1 vaccine in December.

Pfizer's new BA.4/5 bivalent vaccine differs from its previous formulation by replacing mRNA of the BA.1 Omicron subvariant with mRNA that encodes the BA.4/5 spike protein instead.

A fourth bivalent vaccine — from Moderna, also targeting BA.4 and BA.5 — was approved by the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) last week and is undergoing consideration by ATAGI.

How much more effective is it?

Compared to Pfizer's original COVID-19 vaccine, studies in laboratory settings suggest the new bivalent booster offers better protection against Omicron BA.4 and BA.5, said epidemiologist Terry Nolan.

"Antibody response studies have been done — in the test tube — to show what the boost is, and if it neutralises the virus," said Professor Nolan, head of the vaccine and immunisation research group at the Doherty Institute.

"There's good evidence [the new bivalent vaccines] produce very good antibodies against their targets, BA.4/5, and the original ancestral strain."

Early studies also found BA.4/5 vaccines induce "higher neutralising activity" against other emerging Omicron subvariants — including BQ.1 and XBB — than the earlier bivalent and original vaccines.

This is important because although the BA.4 and BA.5 continue to circulate in Australia, other Omicron subvariants are becoming increasingly dominant.

"At the moment, the closest we can get to the virus is with the bivalent BA.4/5 vaccine," Professor Nolan said.
I'll getting mine as soon as I can...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:10 am

my last shot was in december, I think I still have some time before next
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:27 am

I'm thinking of holding off until I get closer to my India trip (September).
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:06 am

I understand your thinking, but your immune system won't.

Frank Zappa

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:47 am

I'm far more likely to get Covid in India than here in Oz. And India is a place I really don't want to get it.

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:50 pm

It takes time to build up anti-bodies.
The vaccine does not prevent you from getting covid ...it just reduces the risk of a severe case.