The Coronavirus Thread

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:45 am

Yep the UK population really have confidence in their government:

If this bonkers coronavirus messaging continues, Britain may start to ignore it
The government’s mixed signals on what is permissible are sapping trust, with potentially fatal consequences

Go to the pub, but don’t come into contact with other people. Only meet in groups of six, but also sit in a restaurant with 30 other diners. Go to your office, but don’t go by public transport. Listen to the scientists, except when we’re ignoring them. Relax. Under no circumstances should you relax.

It is sometimes difficult, in the face of such mixed messages from the government, to resist the urge to crescendo directly into a full-throated scream on getting out of bed in the morning.

The government has an unenviable job in dealing with coronavirus, as the situation changes from day to day, but other governments have undoubtedly done it better. According to a June YouGov poll of 27 countries, Britons had the second lowest level of confidence in their government’s handling of the pandemic.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:52 am

Sounds more like the government is shambolic than a malevolent actor spreading disinformation to control its population. It's almost as if your hate for the UK makes you spout contradictory nonsense.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:23 am

JimC wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:53 am
Down to 28 new cases here in pestilence central. Everyone's hoping the drop will continue, and we'll escape this fucking lockdown...
A jump of 1000+ case in the UK yesterday. The 'world beating' contact track-and-trace system Boris Johnson promised by the time the schools went back still hasn't arrived either. The health minister said it would definitely be in place by Christmas - which is interesting, because he promised it would be in place by the end of May, and then by the end of July, and then by the beginning of September.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:32 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:45 am
Yep the UK population really have confidence in their government.
NL.JPG
Record figures.
:blah: Keep on insisting that mask wearing doesn't work. :blah:
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:29 pm

Track n' Trace.in the UK. Saw a news item this morning where a guy in Tooting, London wanted a Covid test and was told to go to Aberdeen. So he used an Aberdeen postcode, requested a test, and was told to go to - guess where? Yep, you got it - Tooting, London. Dunno the outcome or if there is any truth in it.
Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power - Eric Hoffer.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:36 pm

Seems like a hassle. You can get similar results using the rapid test, which has a hilariously high failure rate.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:30 pm

Mogsy throws in his tuppence worth:

Jacob Rees-Mogg attacks 'endless carping' about Covid testing shortages
Leader of Commons labelled ‘out of touch’ as he seeks praise for how system is working

The Commons leader, Jacob Rees-Mogg, has complained about what he called “this endless carping” about shortages of coronavirus tests, prompting Labour to accuse the government of being out of touch with public concerns.

Responding to a question in the Commons about tests from his Labour shadow, Valerie Vaz, Rees-Mogg said there should be more praise for how well the system was doing.

“The issue of testing is one where we have gone from a disease that nobody knew about a few months ago to one where nearly a quarter of a million people a day can be tested, and the prime minister is expecting that to go up to half a million people a day by the end of October,” he said.

“And instead of this endless carping, saying it’s difficult to get them, we should actually celebrate this phenomenal success of the British nation in getting up to a quarter of a million tests of a disease that nobody knew about until earlier in the year.”
"And I have been earning very nicely from the crisis. Thank you very much".

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:24 pm

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:44 am

How are you denying science when there is no scientific evidence. The fools are those that believe anything that is told them. This is typical of the misinformed. Why do they wear a mask? Because they believe they are protecting themselves. Now which scientist has said that?

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:54 am

A large German lab that applied to help the Netherlands with coronavirus testing capacity, was blocked by the Ministry of Public Health with the requirement that a Dutch-speaking doctor must be affiliated with the lab. With the result that the Netherlands did not make use of the 5 thousand extra tests the lab could do per day, Follow the Money reports based on documents in its possession.

The German laboratory Labor Dr. Wisplinghoff received approval from the RIVM to process Covid-19 tests on April 2. On April 10, the director general of the Ministry of Public Health, Welfare and Sports sent the lab a letter with additional requirements, according to Follow the Money. One of the requirements is that a Dutch-speaking doctor must be affiliated with the lab, in order to "interpret the results in Dutch (and) communicate the results to the care providers".

By saying that English communication is not sufficient, the Ministry in practice banned the German lab from the Netherlands market, according to Follow the Money. The 5 thousand extra tests per day were not used, despite Health Minister Hugo de Jonge saying for months that expanding testing capacity has top priority.

The Netherlands' testing capabilities are currently at their limits, according to De Jonge due to limited lab capacity.
https://nltimes.nl/2020/09/17/dutch-min ... age-report

Dutch arrogance is the best arrogance.
BArF−4

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:05 am

Once again a great news source which supports the far right and is well known for anti-government stance. How about your country's Covid news?

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:12 am

Here is a good quality article from an accepted top class newspaper:

Testen, testen, testen? Eerder wachten, wachten, wachten: waarom het stokt bij de coronatesten
Het overvloedige testen tegen corona dat het kabinet in mei beloofde komt in praktijk maar niet op gang, kreeg Rutte bij de Algemene Beschouwingen te horen. Volgens de een heeft premier Rutte zijn cijfers niet op orde, volgens Rutte zelf komt het doordat ook mensen zonder klachten zich laten testen. Maar hoe zit het nou echt? Drie verklaringen gewogen.

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:56 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:05 am
Once again a great news source which supports the far right and is well known for anti-government stance. How about your country's Covid news?
I gave it to you. Not my problem if you couldn't work it out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
BArF−4

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:12 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:12 am
Here is a good quality article from an accepted top class newspaper:

Testen, testen, testen? Eerder wachten, wachten, wachten: waarom het stokt bij de coronatesten
Het overvloedige testen tegen corona dat het kabinet in mei beloofde komt in praktijk maar niet op gang, kreeg Rutte bij de Algemene Beschouwingen te horen. Volgens de een heeft premier Rutte zijn cijfers niet op orde, volgens Rutte zelf komt het doordat ook mensen zonder klachten zich laten testen. Maar hoe zit het nou echt? Drie verklaringen gewogen.
...so which is it?
Is Rutte lying to cover up the fact that the promised tests were never delivered?
...or is Rutte confused by his own figures?
BArF−4

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:45 am

Capitalism to the rescue!
EiJkXW7VoAArDJN.jpg