UK General Election, 12 Dec 2019

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: UK General Election, 12 Dec 2019

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:00 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:34 am
Jonathan Church at the environmental law firm ClientEarth, which commissioned the poll conducted by Opinium
Of course good data? Like turkeys commissioning a poll over what turkeys expect of xmas. Dont hold much store by it. There will be plenty of these polls on the election run-up. How many people even understand climate, weather and the environment? The piper plays the tune he is paid to play.
Yeah, that's right, only people who don't have a political opinion should ever ask others what their political opinions are. Your brave radical falliblism defeats all arguments and negates all points, again, and I'm sure that everyone is too stupid to really understand what they think or mean or too venal and corrupt to ever be trusted with anything. Shall we move on?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:54 pm

A well known political tactic. Organise a poll and get the result you want especially on complicated questions which very few understand the subject involved. That is the point I am trying to make. Most people have not got a clue.
Elections these days are far more complicated. Politics is far more complicated thanks to media, corruption and fake news. We will see plenty of these type of polls in this run up and plenty of lies and fake news. The waters will be very muddy.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:56 pm

BTW personal insults noted once again. The messenger gets shot every time here.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:30 pm

rainbow wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:03 am
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:04 am
With PR this would not be required but it is the only possibility under the non-democratic FPTP UK system.
As this is effectively a referendum, all pro-EU supporters should hold their noses and vote Lib-Dem.
There is a brexit party. Can't they find someone to just create a NoBrexit party?

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:35 pm

Christ, the EU should just tell you guys to fuck off already. Can they do that? It's like wrestling a dead sheep at this point.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:44 pm

There are plenty on this side of the Channel would love to I can assure you. Bending over backwards has become a new art form.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:18 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:35 pm
Christ, the EU should just tell you guys to fuck off already. Can they do that? It's like wrestling a dead sheep at this point.
mmmh, a) Europe is not yet integrated enough for the federal level to have that much right to snoop into member states' internal affairs b) they are leaving anyway so if we tried to tell them something, they'd just answer 'fuck off" and do the hard brexit thing.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:44 pm

The bloody sooner the better.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:44 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:35 pm
It's like wrestling a dead sheep at this point.
That's a sport in Wales. I think there's an international test series coming up against the Kiwis. Ewe ain't seen nothin' yet, folks...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:55 pm

yuck, necrophilia now?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:45 pm

NineBerry wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:30 pm
rainbow wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:03 am
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:04 am
With PR this would not be required but it is the only possibility under the non-democratic FPTP UK system.
As this is effectively a referendum, all pro-EU supporters should hold their noses and vote Lib-Dem.
There is a brexit party. Can't they find someone to just create a NoBrexit party?
We have one - it's called The Liberal Democrats.

Looks like the Brexit party is hoping for an alliance with the Tories after the election as it's hinted they're not going to stand in Tory held constituencies.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:15 am

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:21 am

What have I been saying for years? Brexit is about money and nothing else.

Their money.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:36 am

Johnson's boss has spoken:

Trump says Johnson and Farage could form 'unstoppable force'
US president claims on LBC Radio that Jeremy Corbyn would take UK to ‘such bad places’

Donald Trump has intervened in the UK’s nascent election campaign, calling on Boris Johnson to team up with Nigel Farage to form an “unstoppable force” and claiming Jeremy Corbyn would be “so bad for your country”.

Speaking to Farage on LBC Radio, the US president also said Johnson’s Brexit deal could prevent the UK from agreeing a trade deal with the US.

Trump said the US “can’t make a trade deal with the UK” under “certain aspects of the deal”, despite Johnson’s claims it would allow the UK to have an independent trade policy.

One of Labour’s main attacks against Johnson has been that the prime minister would be too close to Trump and allow a sell-off of public services to US companies as the price of a trade deal, with the NHS potentially on the line.
How about the UK joining the USA as the 51st state? It may sound weird but the UK by itself? It would be the ideal solution for Brexiteers and their money.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:49 am

The more the right talk about Trump the better it is in my view. Trump said the NHS wouldn't be part of a trade deal with the US - but we know that both Trump and Johnson are habitual liars. And besides, that's an easy dodge from Trump and an easy one for the Labour Party to make gains on - like talking about the meetings Brexitarian Tories have already had with US pharmaceutical companies and how that US lobby would love to "equalise" the trade arrangements supplying the NHS which at the moment keep their drug and treatment prices about two-thirds lower than they are in the US.

For the Tories this IS a Brexit election - a Brexection! The Labour Party's challenge is to focus the public's attention on policies that will really benefit people rather than simply to repeat slogans, and to highlight the political and economic monopoly power of the oligarchs and tax dodgers in charge of the asylum.

Frank Zappa