UK General Election, 12 Dec 2019

Alan B

Re: UK General Election, 12 Dec 2019

Post by Alan B » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:09 pm

I had a 'personal' letter today from Boris Johnson. Now, should I frame it as an example of lying bullshit or shred it?
Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power - Eric Hoffer.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Post by PsychoSerenity » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:26 pm

You could do both like Banksy.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:18 am

Alan B wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:09 pm
I had a 'personal' letter today from Boris Johnson. Now, should I frame it as an example of lying bullshit or shred it?
You could wipe your arse with it.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:33 am

Would not do the job though; wiping shit with shit.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Post by PsychoSerenity » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:45 pm

Channel four are hosting a leaders debate on the climate emergency. Johnson and Farage have declined to turn up, so they've been replaced by ice sculptures.
https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status ... 1170937859
EKenpSKWwAAYTTc.jpg
EKenpSKWwAAYTTc.jpg (56.53 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
:{D
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:06 pm

:hehe:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:13 pm

...which presumably will steadily melt during the debate...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:52 pm

It's a stolid affair. In the absence of the recalcitrant and wingnut right (well, Jo Swinson of the soft-right Lib Dems was there but polls show their support sliding by the hour) everyone seemed rather keen to score points by dogpiling Corbyn about the "costs" of his parties green policies, with the underlying assumption being that it's somehow unreasonable for society to cover the cost of transitioning to a greener, de-carbonised economy - or at least unreasonable for a future Labour gov to ask that of the nation.

The one bombshell that was dropped just before the credits rolled was that everyone's least favourite fag Michael 'no experts please' Gove did try and take part for the Tories but he was sent packing because the event was specifically for leaders. I expect the right-leaning press to be in full #OUTRAGE mode about that snub tomorrow.

information: 4/10
entertainment: 2/10
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:39 am

What did I say?
...The Conservatives accused the broadcaster of bias for not allowing Michael Gove to take Johnson’s place, accusing them of “conspiring” with Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn to block the party from making their case.

Gove had turned up to the studios but was turned away by Channel 4 who said the debate was for party leaders only. In a response designed to overshadow the programme, the Conservatives immediately complained to broadcasting regulator Ofcom and threatened to review its broadcasting licence....

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... redentials

Frank Zappa

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:49 pm

Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:57 pm

He's a dead cert.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:01 am

I'm not convinced it's actually real. But in these times it's too hard to tell.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:09 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:01 am
I'm not convinced it's actually real. But in these times it's too hard to tell.
It's real enough. Johnson even earnt a round of applause for his alleged reply.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:14 am

It appears to be an approximate (and condensed) transcript of his reply to Rowena Mason of The Guardian. Video available here. A somewhat more detailed transcript from that video:

Erm, well, Rowena, I'm afraid that the er, er, er, twittersphere is not really my er, my province, er but what I what I can say is that erm, I'm I'm informed that erm, y'know the, Labour have some sort of operation which is erm, very similar to this, but erm, what I what I, I d--I haven't followed this, this Twitter stuff with perhaps the intention that that you would like, Rowena, erm, I will I will I will apprise myself of the detail of this. But y'know, when it comes to, erm, as I say, when it comes to trust in politics, and erm, and and the facts of this election, there--what we need to know, there is one giant fact, the, which we continue to, to chase down. There is one elus--like the, the hunting of the snark, or or or the quest for the answer to Fermat's Last Theorem, or the Riddle of the Sphinx, or the Bermuda Triangle, er, we still, the the the the one fact, er, the one that we wish to discover, the one hard crouton of fact that we search for in the minestrone of of Labour's policy on Brexit is, what is the position of the leader of the Labour Party on whether he wants to come out of the European Union. And I and I have to say, if you cannot answer, if you cannot supply a fact like that at this stage, with only with barely eighteen days to go before polls open, I do not see how you can credibly take this country forward, er, next year, or credibly get a deal--[applause from audience]--that is the, that is the issue. We don't know--[applause continues]--you know. Rowena, Rowena, the mystery continues to deepen, and I invite you to I invite, er, all all wonderful colleagues in the media to to redouble their efforts to er, send out search parties, to to to find this--

As I say, a dead cert.

ETA: I checked out Hermit's video, and note that Mr Johnson threw in Shergar right at the end. What a guy.
Last edited by L'Emmerdeur on Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:19 am

The recent stabbing deaths via an early-released terrorist plays right into Johnson's hands...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!