UK General Election, 12 Dec 2019

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: UK General Election, 12 Dec 2019

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:44 am

My thought exactly. Maybe a few £££ for having his sprog.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:12 pm

It’s not just Boris Johnson’s lying. It’s that the media let him get away with it
The prime minister’s falsehoods are mostly left unchallenged. If this goes on, the integrity of our politics faces collapse

It’s Friday lunchtime and Boris Johnson is in Oldham. He’s live on Sky News, speaking to supporters in front of his Tory battle bus. During a speech lasting no more than 10 minutes, viewers learn that he is building 40 new hospitals. Sounds good. But it’s a lie that has already been exposed by fact-checkers, including the website Full Fact.

The prime minister tells Sky viewers that “20,000 more police are operating on our streets to fight crime and bring crime down”. This assertion is misleading in a number of ways. Recruitment will take place over three years and do no more than replace the drop in officer numbers seen since the Conservatives came to power in 2010.

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Post by PsychoSerenity » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:49 pm

In a whole nother level of deceitfulness, during the live ITV leaders debate the Tory press office changed their twitter account to make it look like an independent fact checking organisation and pumped out propaganda to anyone following the hashtag.
Conservatives criticised for rebranding Twitter account to 'factcheckUK'

The @CCHQPress account - the Tory press office - was rebranded as “factcheckUK" for Tuesday's live TV debate involving Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn.

After the debate, the account reverted back to its original branding.

Twitter is yet to comment on the change, but told the BBC it was looking into it.

Fact-checking agency FullFact said in a statement: "It is inappropriate and misleading for the Conservative press office to rename their twitter account 'factcheckUK' during this debate.

"Please do not mistake it for an independent fact checking service such as FullFact, FactCheck or FactCheckNI."

The Labour Party tweeted: "The @Conservatives' laughable attempt to dupe those watching the #ITVDebate by renaming their twitter account shows you can't trust a word they say."

Twitter has policies regarding deceptive behaviour on the platform. The company said it can remove an account’s “verified” status if the account owner is said to be “intentionally misleading people on Twitter by changing one's display name or bio”.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:59 pm

@alternativefactcheckUK
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

PsychoSerenity

Post by PsychoSerenity » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:19 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:59 pm
@alternativefactcheckUK
What is most worrying about this, is not so much that people might have believed the misinformation they put out, and I'm sure they knew they'd be challenged on it, but I think the real goal is that they want to undermine people's trust in any fact checking services.

And continuing the string of misinformation, today when Labour were launching their manifesto, the Tories put out a fake Labour manifesto website and paid for google ads so that it was at the top of the search.
Tories set up 'Labour manifesto' website to attack Corbyn's plans

A website purporting to showcase Labour’s manifesto but which instead attacks the party’s policies has been set up by the Conservatives just days after the party faced criticism for misleading the public with a similar stunt.

The official Tory Twitter account posted a link to the website, which displays a picture of Jeremy Corbyn looking confused, using the URL “Labourmanifesto.co.uk”.

The website, coloured in Labour red and registered only three days ago, states: “Labour’s 2019 manifesto … No plan for Brexit. Higher taxes. Two more referendums.”

The Conservatives had apparently paid for a Google advert which meant internet browsers were directed to the website when they searched for “Labour”.
It's just dirty tricks beyond anything I could have imagined.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:39 pm

They've learnt their lessons from the GOP well.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:06 pm

Oh yeah, what are you going to do about it? :tea:

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:19 pm

Psycho. Linky?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:32 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:06 pm
Oh yeah, what are you going to do about it? :tea:
Ask them to line up against the wall. We'll get round to them in due course. :whistle:

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:32 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:19 pm
Psycho. Linky?
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... festo-site

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:36 pm

Spoofing the Labour Manifesto is almost certainly electoral fraud. The problem is that the max fine for electoral shenanigans is £70,000, which is small potatoes when compared to £5 million in personal donations over £7k the Tories have amassed since the election period began. By contrast the Labour party had only made £250,000 in donations over £7k.

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:43 pm

Thanks Brian. Modern day politics in some countries. Thank goodness we do have a democracy.

PsychoSerenity

Post by PsychoSerenity » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:04 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:36 pm
Spoofing the Labour Manifesto is almost certainly electoral fraud. The problem is that the max fine for electoral shenanigans is £70,000, which is small potatoes when compared to £5 million in personal donations over £7k the Tories have amassed since the election period began. By contrast the Labour party had only made £250,000 in donations over £7k.
Unfortunately, like with their "Fact Checker" on twitter, they will be able to argue that it does still say it's by the conservative party. And in response to the twitter thing the electoral commission have already said that they have no authority over the content of the campaigns, only over things like spending. It's all pretty toothless and we desperately need our electoral laws brought up to date. They are not designed to deal with the existence of the internet, let alone targeted social media ads spreading political propaganda but designed to look like they come from independent organisations and funded through crowdsourcing to disguise the true origins of the money.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:45 pm

🙌

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:23 pm

Labour: Property rights are not absolute..

:)

Frank Zappa