Evil Amazon

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Evil Amazon

Post by JimC » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:36 pm

NineBerry wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:57 pm
laklak wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:18 am
Me too. I Amazon the fuck out of everything. Plus I Netflix, and Facebook. I'm just, like, you know. so like, up with the kids.
Do Netflix and Amazon operate in central Africa?
Do hippos like a swim?
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:46 pm

Bought Snowblind: A Thriller (The Dark Iceland Series Book 1) Kindle Edition
by Ragnar Jonasson (Author)
Kindle edition. "Nordic Noir." It must happen in winter, it being so dark. If I like it I can get the rest of the books on paper.

On a completely different type of complaint, I ordered a CD of Vivaldi concertos some time back, maybe 2015. I went to look at it again. I can't find the physical copy, and the only ones for sale are used, for 35 dollars. Cheaper in the UK. So I ordered it again from some place here for 12 dollars. Then I go look at the so called "Amazon Music" app. I was entitled to a free mp3 download, since I bought the disc in 2015. Now I've bought the disc twice, and I could have just burned a copy from the free download.

I only got into the download app part as there was some disc people were discussing on a long thread, and I wanted to play that disc right away to follow the discussion, not wait 5 days for the delivery.
Last edited by Tero on Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:58 pm

I bought Neil Stephenson's Snow Crash on kindle this week. I've got it on the bookshelf but it was only £0.99 and it's about time I read it again. Also got The Diamond Age while I was at it. For me his work went a bit down hill after that - too much writing up his research and a bit light on imagination as a consequence. But I also got an old fashioned library book on the Scottish Enlightenment out this week too. That's me being both traditional and with-it at the same time.

:book:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:50 pm

Netflix is in swaziland but not sure about amazon streaming. i use a U.S. based VPN so I'll try when we get there. Amazon doesn't deliver there.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:05 pm

Sell one of the kids kidneys for satellite internet. It's the only way lak.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:08 am

I'm gonna pimp out Mrs. Lak first. Kidneys are a one-time shot. Reuse and recycle, that's my motto.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Woodbutcher
Stray Cat
Stray Cat
About me: Still crazy after all these years.

Post by Woodbutcher » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:09 am

How do you re-line an old hooker?
Shove in a ham and pull out the bone.
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.-Red Green
"Yo". Rocky
"Never been worried about what other people see when they look at me". Gawdzilla
"No friends currently defined." Friends & Foes.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:02 am

Never touch anything Amazon with a barge pole or streaming channels. Dont need to as there are plenty of better alternatives in Europe. The exploitation and working conditions in Amazon work places does not bother you? Some kind of joke? Just wait until governments are dictated to. There was an interesting report on BBC Radio 4 yesterday about the position of the giant tech industries and it was no laughing matter. The power they have accumulated is not to be scoffed at but enjoy their worker exploitation and feel the control as governments more and more rely on their data to make decisions.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:26 am

Friday briefing: Alexa's China child labour scandal
Supplier of Amazon devices admits youngsters employed to work all night

Top story: ‘I had no choice,’ says teenage Foxconn worker

Good morning briefers. I’m Martin Farrer and it’s my pleasure to bring you the top stories to help you through the last day of the working week.

Schoolchildren in China have been recruited to work in factories to produce Amazon’s Alexa devices as part of an often illegal attempt to meet exacting production targets for the smart-speaker products, the Guardian can reveal. Interviews with children and leaked documents from Amazon’s Chinese supplier, Foxconn, show that some youngsters have been asked to work nights and overtime in the factory in Hengyang in breach of Chinese labour laws. The children have been drafted in from local schools and classed as “interns”, with teachers paid to accompany them to work and pressurise their pupils to take on extra work in return for improved employment prospects at the factory. One pupil said she worked up to 10 hours a day in sweltering conditions. “I had no choice, I could only endure this,” she says. According to company documents, Foxconn pays “interns” a basic wage of £1.18 an hour. Alexa devices start from around £50 for a basic Echo Dot model.

When confronted by the documents, Foxconn admitted employing children to work overtime and nights. The company, which also makes iPhones for Apple, said it had taken “immediate action to fix the situation”. Amazon, which is led by Jeff Bezos, the world’s richest person, said it would not tolerate violations of its code of conduct.
Always thought the guy could not have a better name.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:02 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:02 am
... There was an interesting report on BBC Radio 4 yesterday about the position of the giant tech industries and it was no laughing matter. The power they have accumulated is not to be scoffed at but enjoy their worker exploitation and feel the control as governments more and more rely on their data to make decisions.
It's a worry. Democratically unaccountable. Sucking up huge amounts of data, on us and on their rivals - the people who run Amazon all use Google and vice-versa, and both of them have a Facebook account which they access through their iPhones - and generating profits that make Croesus look like a hobo while managing to pay no tax in a perpetual no-inflation economy. Let's not pretend they're politically or economic neutral or ambivalent, nor that they'll just sit back and let governments do their thing without trying to influence them.

Frank Zappa

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:10 am

I'm an amazon customer, they let me get stuff I could never find otherwise.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:34 am

Aye. Where else can you buy a Jesus Butt-plug without embarrassment?

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:36 am

Look around Svarty honestly.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:43 am

I totally agree with you Brian, it is very alarming which was the point made in that report. Governments cut back and use private supplied data. A trend that is not healthy. In America now there exists a political limbo where these companies are moving in and shortly will be dictating to state governments. It is not even subtle.
They are absorbing power at a high rate. The days of American Inc. are not that far away.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:49 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:36 am
Look around Svarty honestly.
I have.
plus, let's face it, I take online surveys, and the only interesting outlet for the points I get there is amazon gift coupons.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping