All things Boris: has it really come to this?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: All things Boris: has it really come to this?

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:13 am

Indeed. And he wasn't the tool of the left-wing -- as if he didn't have a clue and had his head turned -- he's always been unapologeticaly left-wing.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:05 am

JimC wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:54 am
I suspect there is something in what you are saying, Scot. But, even without assigning any special blame to Corbyn, my point remains - for whatever the reason, the divisions within the Labour Party, exaggerated as they may be by the press, are allowing the Tories to maintain their grip on power...
That of course the big underlying current; the tory press. Only Blair achieved almost the impossible and get the tory press on his side but somebody had to rescue the country and the tories had decided to leave it to New Labour or tory light.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:57 pm

The Guardian: Nurse shortage causes Nightingale hospital to turn away patients

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... _clipboard

#toryscum
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Mon May 11, 2020 11:51 am

Well, the latest bollocks from Johnson only confirms how stupid he is; that is, stupid in the 'upper class twit' sense where he assumes that the rest of us of the 'lower classes' are too stupid to see through his blustering ignorant waffle.
Guardian
Stay alert. Watch out. There’s a Boris about. All his life Boris Johnson has fantasised about being the next Winston Churchill, the nation’s saviour. But 75 years after Churchill declared the end of the second world war in Europe, all Boris could manage to do in his pre-recorded television statement – his minders don’t trust him to do anything live – was divide the United Kingdom. The Scots, the Welsh and the Northern Irish had all managed to distance themselves from the prime minister’s central message even before it had been broadcast. Forget the Churchill tribute act; these days Boris couldn’t even get a job as a Boris Johnson tribute act.
It was never intended to be this way. Boris was meant to be the man who could put a smile on the country’s face; the man who would get Brexit done with blind optimism and a few white lies. But the coronavirus has put paid to all that. It’s a virus that stubbornly resists any smooth-talking about taking back control.
And deep down, Boris knows that he’s well out of his depth – that he’s simply not up to the job. You can see it in his eyes, which have shrivelled to puffy pinpricks. And he’s lost the gift of language. At a time of crisis, a leader’s speech is supposed to be a source of inspiration and reassurance. Somehow all that Boris can manage to impart now is a sense of panic.

This time at least, Boris had made an effort. Smart suit, brushed hair. It was just the speech that was a mess. A more honest prime minister would have admitted that mistakes had been made in the handling of the crisis. But Boris is, deep down, a coward, a man who runs from the first hint of personal responsibility and has one eye already firmly on the public inquiry that will surely follow.
It could be that his bout of Covid-19 has fucked him up so much that he is now not fit to be PM - not that he ever was IMO.
Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power - Eric Hoffer.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon May 11, 2020 2:35 pm

Be Alert!

Britain needs lerts.

Frank Zappa

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Mon May 11, 2020 2:40 pm

You'll all be fine, just stay alert.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon May 11, 2020 3:01 pm

Alan B wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:51 am
It could be that his bout of Covid-19 has fucked him up so much that he is now not fit to be PM - not that he ever was IMO.
His problem is that he just wants to be liked by the people he's talking to - which means he'll say one thing to one party and another thing to another, and then freely change his mind at a later date as it suits him. We have abundant examples of this. Politically, Johnson has to placate both sides of his party, both of whom now think its his job to represent their political interests over the other, against a system of so-called 'expert' advice, which itself has been methodically populated with political interests over the past 2 months, and then go in front of the cameras and present that fudge as being the best of all possible worlds.

So he'll lie. Because it not only suits him as far as his appearance goes, but because it works to mollify critics in his own party.

One example is his claim that 'we avoided overwhelming the NHS'. What he means is that we avoided totally overwhelming the acute, critical, and intensive care system, but this was achieved only by shutting down all other NHS activity and pushing the infection into and onto the community care sector where cases and death weren't counted until the last week of April.

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue May 12, 2020 6:01 pm

Frank Zappa

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:16 pm

Screenshot_20200618-143211.png
Jimmy Wales offers to pay for a UK contact tracing app based on the German one

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:41 pm

This morning the release of our 'world beating' NHS cornavirus tracking app wasn't to be expected until 2021. Half-an-hour ago the government ditched the app all together.

"Our response to this virus has and will continue to be as part of an international effort.

"That is why as part of a collaborative approach we have agreed to share our own innovative work on estimating distance between app users with Google and Apple, work that we hope will benefit others, while using their solution to address some of the specific technical challenges identified through our rigorous testing.

"We will also draw on the invaluable insight from all of those who trialled the app on the Isle of Wight – and the brilliant teams who have worked on it to date – to build an app that can form part of the end-to-end NHS Test and Trace service and this insight will be integral to the next phase of development."

-- Dido Harding, head of NHS Test and Trace

Frank Zappa

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:23 pm

Hm.
"That is why as part of a collaborative approach we have agreed to share our own innovative work on estimating distance between app users with Google and Apple, work that we hope will benefit others
That's nice. But Google already has all the data that was gathered from a two week session of having German soldiers being experimented on to find out how bluetooth signals behave when phones are being carried around in hands, trouser pockets or handbags.

And the data of Deutsche Telekom doing the same with Polish college students for two weeks. (No photos, because Polish college students aren't as cute as German soldiers in uniform)

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:25 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:41 pm
This morning the release of our 'world beating' NHS cornavirus tracking app wasn't to be expected until 2021. Half-an-hour ago the government ditched the app all together.
Did they make that decision because of Jimmy Wales tweet? Or did Jimmy Wales tweet because he had insider information this decision would be announced today? Or was that just a coincidence.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:14 pm

There's no such thing as coincidences, only conspiracies! :D

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:02 pm

We have a Prime Minster who the press, even those outlets who have traditionally supported his party, are now calling a liar, without any fear of litigation.

Frank Zappa