Euro Parliament Elections 2019

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Re: Euro Parliament Elections 2019

Post by Svartalf » Fri May 24, 2019 10:28 am

received the electoral literature today, a lot too late for my taste, 12 leaflets for a total of 34 lists officially vying for my vote, I'm not a happy camper, especially since those I received were all the policies of the major party, none of which has any claim to my vote... since I doubt the voting place will even have ballots for my party of choice, I'm seriously envisioning not going to vote at all, which would be a firsts in a couple decades.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Post by PsychoSerenity » Fri May 24, 2019 10:39 am

Animavore wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 9:44 am
Just voted. All candidates with strong environmental platforms and track records backing those policies. In local and EU elections. Not a single neoliberal, denier, or any politician who ever gave the US president even a mild compliment got a vote.
Well done. I hope the rest of Europe will make up for the shit-show that the UK will be putting up.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Fri May 24, 2019 10:42 am

Svartalf wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:28 am
received the electoral literature today, a lot too late for my taste, 12 leaflets for a total of 34 lists officially vying for my vote, I'm not a happy camper, especially since those I received were all the policies of the major party, none of which has any claim to my vote... since I doubt the voting place will even have ballots for my party of choice, I'm seriously envisioning not going to vote at all, which would be a firsts in a couple decades.
We in Africa have a system whereby all the candidates are on one ballot.

Have you not thought of that?
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri May 24, 2019 10:49 am

well, givern that each ballot bears the 79 names of the list for which it stands, your solution is not feasible under our current system.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri May 24, 2019 10:50 am

rainbow wrote:
Svartalf wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:28 am
We in Africa have a system whereby all the candidates are on one ballot.

Have you not thought of that?
Yeah that's what I'm wondering. What a bizarre situation.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Fri May 24, 2019 11:01 am

Svartalf wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:49 am
well, givern that each ballot bears the 79 names of the list for which it stands, your solution is not feasible under our current system.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri May 24, 2019 11:03 am

wow, must have been a serious hassle to use

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri May 24, 2019 11:15 am

Our senate ballot papers are over metre long.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Fri May 24, 2019 11:36 am

This system was used for municipal elections in Germany in the past. Most municipalities have switched to using different pieces of paper for different parties now. Again, this is very controversial because it allows outside observers to guess what you have voted and it allows you to prove your vote.
Last edited by NineBerry on Fri May 24, 2019 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Post by PsychoSerenity » Fri May 24, 2019 11:40 am

I'm curious, with these long and complicated ballot papers, how they count the votes?
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Fri May 24, 2019 11:49 am

PsychoSerenity wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 11:40 am
I'm curious, with these long and complicated ballot papers, how they count the votes?

I have been part of that. There are two steps to the counting process. The voters can either mark one party as a whole or split their vote and give votes to candidates of different parties (or to different candidates of the same party).

In the first step at the evening of the election, the electoral commission in the polling station sorts the ballots into groups for parties based on which party has the most votes on each ballot. So, say a voter has 50 votes, a ballot with say 20 votes for conservatives, 18 votes for social democrats and 10 votes for greens and some votes the voter decided not to use is counted as the full 50 votes for conservatives.

The result is used as a rough indicator how the election result looks like so that the parties know which party can have celebration festivities and which party has to go home sulling.

The second step happens in the following days. The electoral commissions meet in building with computer systems. Then they go through each ballot, mark the ballot with a unique number and then enter the detailed content of the ballot into a computer system. The computer does then calculate the actual result: How many seats each party gets and which candidates are elected.

When I was part of the electoral commission in Bruchsal, a town of about 40000 inhabitants, we were busy the two days following election day. My commission was responsible for about 1200 voters, of whom about 800 had voted. So, we had to enter about 800 ballots into the computer.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Fri May 24, 2019 2:32 pm

I have to admit I regret not voting yesterday. Mostly because I have voted in every election I am eligible to pretty much since my 20s. So I feel I’ve not done my ‘duty’. I never vote for anyone who wins anyway so I suppose that is some small consolation.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri May 24, 2019 2:44 pm

Well, if I go vote, it will be mostly out of a sense of duty, since I'll likely vote blank, unless I'm really lucky and find ballots for my party of choice... but seriously, I'm largely disgusted with how the big parties treated the poll, they put forward strictly national issues and show no vision for europe, they mention stuff in their electoral tracts that the MEPs will never have to deal with, and that having MEPs of their obedience will not help them to deal with tào their satisfaction, helck there's a left wing guy who literally called to vote for him as an anti macron referendum, needless to say, I put his tract and ballot straight into the bin, which is sad as he was one of my possible secondary options.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Fri May 24, 2019 2:45 pm

Voting blank has no effect. It is meaningless.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri May 24, 2019 2:52 pm

I know, but I can't get myself to vote for an undesirable party or bunch of canidates, helck, I voted null in the second round of the last presidential elections, and I can't remember what I did for the second round of the last legislatives...

Closest I did to actually voting when all available options were no desirable was in 2002 when I voted for Le Pen, the father, knowing full well he would never win.