Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:14 am

Reduce the world population.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Extinction Rebellion

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:46 am

OK. So what do we do... depopulate Africa or something and that will save the planet? State enforced sterilisation? A global one-child policy or pregnancy lottery? And that will allow us to continue consuming in the same way we are now? But where's the economic growth going to come from? Capitalism needs markets and consumers as well as access to resources.

You're still thinking that the current political-economic paradigm can salve the problems that have been caused by the current political-economic paradigm.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:52 am

Colonise Mars. It's the only answer.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:54 am

That was very tongue in cheek from me Brian.

Capitalism cant live with a balanced economic system which is why it is destroying the environment. The requirement to constantly increase profits means the total lack of stability. The whole Bitcoin bubble is a typical example. Until people can be satisfied with a basic life style and requiring increasing luxury things wont change.

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:36 am

In 2018 the total births were about 2.6 times the total deaths (149,204,000 v 57.625,000). Reducing the birth rate to a tenth will reduce the world population to about 4.4 billion in 100 years. Has anyone told ER not have any babies?

Now, if we were to introduce euthanasia (in the 'developed' countries - since they produce the most pollution) at, say, 65/70 (except me and members of this illustrious forum :whistle: ), then that night solve the problem...

Try this site: UN Population Statistics. Full of downloadable spreadsheets detailing births/deaths/population by country and age.
Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power - Eric Hoffer.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:52 am

What was that film where they blew a horn or something where the oldies were called to be bumped off?

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:03 am

Soylent Green? That was where the oldies bodies were being used as a food source...

(Edward G. Robinson's last film).
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:11 am

Soylent Green was the movie where the elderly are turned into food. But I think the horn bit is from the Time Machine movie.

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:53 am

Ah, yes. The Time Machine. That was the one.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:00 pm

That's it Nine thanks.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:55 pm

Alan B wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:36 am
In 2018 the total births were about 2.6 times the total deaths (149,204,000 v 57.625,000). Reducing the birth rate to a tenth will reduce the world population to about 4.4 billion in 100 years. Has anyone told ER not have any babies?

Now, if we were to introduce euthanasia (in the 'developed' countries - since they produce the most pollution) at, say, 65/70 (except me and members of this illustrious forum :whistle: ), then that night solve the problem...

Try this site: UN Population Statistics. Full of downloadable spreadsheets detailing births/deaths/population by country and age.
Population numbers are misleading and the issues those those numbers often throw up suffer with starting from certain assumptions - most of which we've discussed before Alan.

It's natural to think that we can't continue with this current level of environmental and resource pressure, let alone see it increase, but if the answer is "There's too many people" then the question is usually "How can we (us, you, me) carry on exactly as we have been?"

The 'cure' for "There's too many people" is usually to point at the poorer regions of the World and bemoan the fact that 'they' are having too many children for the sustainability of 'our' present lifestyles. The other 'cure' is to apply a kind of one-in-one-out-ethic where we push the elderly into the Soylent machine at one end to make room for the kids at the other.

Perhaps a more rational examination of environmental and resource pressures is one focused on a nation's or region's environmental impact per capita rather than on the raw numbers of people, births or deaths etc.

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:06 pm

We should feed Republicans to people in developing nations. This would lower population, lower resource consumption per person, and provide a valuable source of protein to poor, malnourished people. It's a win-win-win.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:28 pm

I’m really very puzzled as to why population reduction isn’t a much higher priority for governments, NGOs and the like. Perhaps it’s the short term nature of most government policies or simply that it is too tough a goal to contemplate. Reducing the population with relatively little disruption to the social fabric of most societies would contribute a lot to addressing to some of the challenges we face.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:01 pm

Rum wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:28 pm
I’m really very puzzled as to why population reduction isn’t a much higher priority for governments, NGOs and the like. Perhaps it’s the short term nature of most government policies or simply that it is too tough a goal to contemplate. Reducing the population with relatively little disruption to the social fabric of most societies would contribute a lot to addressing to some of the challenges we face.
How do we achieve it and where do we start?

Frank Zappa

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:06 pm

Seabass wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:06 pm
We should feed Republicans to people in developing nations. This would lower population, lower resource consumption per person, and provide a valuable source of protein to poor, malnourished people. It's a win-win-win.
Except it may transmit Mad Elephant disease. :nervous:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake