Extinction Rebellion

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Extinction Rebellion

Post by JimC » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:57 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:42 am
Not a single mask. These old-timers are wild man. Wild.
In Melbourne at the moment, masks are only required inside (shops, public transport)

The XR protest week is happening now. I'm a little dubious about causing disruption to traffic for long periods, in that it can get the general public against you. However, XR is sticking strongly to the totally non-violent approach, unlike other protests both here and the recent anti-lockdown protests in London. I may go in to join a street march later this week.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:26 pm

JimC, I wish you knew lots about how organized protests can be hijacked and misused by others.

Be safe, and don't get in the way of my fossil-fuel shipments. I need that stuff. :)
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:21 am

Cunt wrote:JimC, I wish you knew lots about how organized protests can be hijacked and misused by others.
XR's protests are not non-violent by accident. And every XR group knows there's probably at least one copper among their membership.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:37 am

Good.

That's one attack vector that should be watched for, for sure.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:45 am

That's not what I said or what I meant. Do try and keep up old chap.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:34 pm

I thought you meant the copper was there to infiltrate/be unhelpful.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:39 pm

XR do everything in public. It's our only defence against lazy claims that frame us as terrorists. Assuming the plod have an inside view of XR means that we also assume they know about the effort we put into de-escalating conflict within/between groups, and with members of the public and/or the security services during an action. If someone starts 'kicking off' at a demo we have no problem trying to calm things down, and failing that identifying them to the police. We are just regular people and nobody wants to be kettled or charged at by the mounted division because some idiot is looking for a rumble.

There's only one winner when the fuzz get their gander up.

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:33 pm

Also totally true about XR down under, Brian. Watching the footage of recent protests here in Melbourne, it was clam and peaceful. A real contrast to some nut-job anti-vaxxers/anti-lockdown protests here recently, which had a lot of aggro and minor violence. The police here might be frustrated with XR protestors blocking streets etc., but they know well by now that there will never be any violent reactions from protestors.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:47 pm

Lotus eaters latest episode goes over an example of a protest turning into a US-style riot.

Good that you are aware, but those looking to exploit protest groups are increasing in number, skills and efficacy. I mean, unless you want to believe that all BLM protesters want the rioting, looting and burning.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:00 pm

Cunt wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:47 pm
Good that you are aware, but those looking to exploit protest groups are increasing in number, skills and efficacy. I mean, unless you want to believe that all BLM protesters want the rioting, looting and burning.
Drivel.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:02 pm

rainbow wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:00 pm
Cunt wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:47 pm
Drivel.
drivel that protests are turning more violent, such as the riots in the US for the last year?

Or drivel that it was BLM doing it?

Personally, I think there is an uptick in manipulation of protest groups, rather than the protests themselves being about violence, looting and burning. You are welcome to counter with a more sensible position.

Or just say drivel, and not make yourself clear. I'm good with that too, bainrow.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:50 pm

No kidding? An uptick in manipulation of protest groups? Stuff like this perhaps?
Mueller Report: “Confederate Rally” In Houston Named As Earliest Evidence Of Russian Interference In Political Rallies

In May 2016, a handful of protesters with the banner “White Lives Matter” showed up for a protest to “Stop the Islamization of Texas” outside the Islamic Da'wah Center in Downtown Houston.

A larger crowd of counter-protesters also showed up.

The protest was organized by the Heart of Texas Facebook group.

“The Heart of Texas Facebook group really was a group that was created by the Russians,” said Rice University political science professor Mark Jones.

“There was no group of concerned Texans forming it, it was formed by Russian trolls with the idea of gaining a following and manipulating that following to political ends,” said Jones.

Despite being created by Russian trolls, the New York Times reported that the group had about 250,000 likes on Facebook before it was taken down.

“Russian trolls were able to mobilize people on one side that were antagonistic towards the mosque and people on the other side that were supportive of the mosque to get out there and protest,” said Jones, who thinks the rally shows how the Russians were somewhat successful in undermining the democratic process by stoking existing hardline ideologies.
It makes me wonder how much of this thing was going on during the violence of last summer, when organizers had to rely more than ever on social media to coordinate efforts because of COVID.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:26 pm

Cunt wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:02 pm

Or drivel that it was BLM doing it?
"BLM" is a slogan.

How can it do anything?

:smug:
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat May 29, 2021 8:35 am

This is real action:

‘Black Wednesday’ for big oil as courtrooms and boardrooms turn on industry
Campaigners sense turning point as shareholders, boards and The Hague act to force Chevron, ExxonMobil and Shell to cut pollution

The world’s patience with the fossil fuel industry is wearing thin. This was the stark message delivered to major international oil companies this week in an unprecedented day of reckoning for their role in the climate crisis.

In a stunning series of defeats for the oil industry, over the course of less than 24 hours, courtrooms and boardrooms turned on the executives at Shell, ExxonMobil and Chevron. Shell was ordered by a court in The Hague to go far further to reduce its climate emissions, while shareholder rebellions in the US imposed emissions targets at Chevron and a boardroom overhaul at Exxon.

“There is no doubt that this week’s news has been not so much a shot across the bows as a direct hit to the hull of Big Oil,” says Mark Lewis, the chief sustainability strategist at BNP Paribas Asset Management. “They will have to recognise now that no amount of patching up the hole will do; shareholders and society want the vessel completely overhauled.”
I support Milieudefensie.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".