All Things Trump: Is it over yet?

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Re: All Things Trump: Is it over yet?

Post by Tero » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:54 pm

56961ACD-473E-4FED-97F4-16449E795CCC.png
How much does he need to spend? Fox news is free Twitter is free!
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:47 am

Second veto issued. The US Congress, under the War Powers Resolution and in accordance with the power granted to it under Article I of the US Constitution, passed a resolution to end US involvement in the despicable Saudi war in Yemen. Trump, claiming that the resolution would weaken his 'constitutional authorities,' vetoed it.

Under the Constitution the president is commander in chief of the armed forces, and that position has been interpreted to support presidents taking action to protect the country. What protecting the US has to do with aiding the Saudis in deliberately targetting civilians in Yemen (including bombing hospitals) shall be left as an exercise for the reader.

'President Trump Vetoes Resolution Calling to End U.S. Support in Yemen War'
President Donald Trump on Tuesday vetoed a bill passed by Congress to end U.S. military assistance in Saudi Arabia’s war in Yemen.

In a break with the president, Congress voted for the first time earlier this month to invoke the War Powers Resolution to try to stop U.S. involvement in a foreign conflict.

The veto — the second in Trump’s presidency — was expected. Congress lacks the votes to override him.

“This resolution is an unnecessary, dangerous attempt to weaken my constitutional authorities, endangering the lives of American citizens and brave service members, both today and in the future,” Trump wrote in explaining his veto.

Congress has grown uneasy with Trump’s close relationship with Saudi Arabia as he tries to further isolate Iran, a regional rival.
Last edited by L'Emmerdeur on Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:51 am

Defend that one, 42. Go ahead. Do what you do best. Defend the indefensible.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:30 am

Well there we have it. Trump supports genocide.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:36 am

Unfortunately Obama supported it too. US hegemony.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:58 am

Whataboutism.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:45 am

Damn. Well, it is, but the point was mostly about US hegemony and how the whole political system there is in it up to their necks.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:02 am

Trump doesn't even know what "hegemony" means (does anyone believe they were his words?).

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:38 am

"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:42 am

In March;
The United States will repeal or deny visas to International Criminal Court staff seeking to investigate Americans in Afghanistan or elsewhere and may take similar action to protect Israelis or other allied forces from prosecution, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Friday.

"We are determined to protect the American and allied military and civilian personnel from living in fear of unjust prosecution for actions taken to defend our great nation," Pompeo said.

Now:
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/artic ... 40052.html

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:47 am

This administration doesn't seem big on the rule of law.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:55 am

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:05 pm

Hermit wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:26 am
Orly? As usual? Me? :lol:
I'd say your usual, yeah.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:15 pm

Seabass wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:51 am
Defend that one, 42. Go ahead. Do what you do best. Defend the indefensible.
I am not about to defend our involvement in Yemen. It's been a problem for me since day one.
Top Obama administration officials have drafted a letter acknowledging their responsibility for initiating U.S. involvement in Yemen's destructive civil war and calling for the Trump administration to halt America's role in the conflict.

Thirty former senior officials, including former national security adviser Susan Rice and former CIA director John Brennan, said the Obama administration decided in 2015 to provide limited support to a Saudi-led military coalition in an attempt to ensure a prudent operation against Houthi rebels in Yemen and to steer the conflict toward a diplomatic resolution.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nat ... story.html

So, getting us into Yemen was not Trump's problem. It was Obama's problem. And, I don't recall much push-back by Democrats or Obama supporters at the time. However, their hypocrisy on this issue is not relevant to a decision to stay in there now.

I wish he would have pulled the troops out by now. So, if the only import of the bill passed by both houses of Congress is that it gets American military involvement out of Yemen, I would oppose Trump's veto in total.

The difficulty I have here is that I have not yet seen a cohesive defense of the reason for the veto. The reason publicly offered is that it is an attempt to limit Presidential authority and that the US support for the Saudi led war did not rise to the level of "hostilities" within the meaning of the War Powers Act and that it would establish bad precedent for future legislation. He may have some points there on an issue of law and separation of powers. But, before I accept any such points, I think they need to be more explicit. I think the Administration needs to say what part of the text of the bill passed by Congress was infringing on his Presidential powers and white kind of bad precedent does it set.

I read through the version on the Senate website, and there are some things I thought were weird about it ,but the things that jumped out at me were not related to the reasons offered by the Admnistration for the veto.

My understanding is that since February of 2017, there have been no ground actions in Yemen. We are limited only to airstrikes, which are carried out with consent of the Yemeni government.

So, on this one my position is:

A. I want us out of any military involvement in Yemen, as taking military action in Yemen was a mistake in the first place and remains so.
B. It's President Trump's power to stop US airestrikes there and stop support for the Saudi led-war.
C. He should do it.
D. My position on the veto is that I think he should not have vetoed the bill; but, I could be convinced otherwise, if the rationale for vetoing it is made clear and really does operate as limitation on Presidential Power (an unjustified one) - right now, I don't see it.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:44 pm

Can Yang end Trump's chances? He seems not yet attached to any serious crazy...or IS he going for a Dem ticket?

I'll give him a listen. I heard this discussion was informative.

Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.