All Things Trump: Is it over yet?

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Re: All Things Trump: Is it over yet?

Post by Tero » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:47 am

Special council, when appointed, was placed under AG control because of Ken Star
https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/04/13/opinio ... cnn.com%2F
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: ?

Post by Forty Two » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:39 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:44 am
Forty Two wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:31 am
Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:05 am
Yeah, you don't trust the source, but how are you with the principle of a president making it clear to an official that they'll get a pardon if prosecuted for carrying out an illegal policy?
If it happened, I don't like it. But, the President does have unlimited Pardon authority for federal crimes.

It's not that I don't trust the source, as much as the article itself presents no credible case that the President actually said that. It's a very badly written article, and cites "senior administration officials.' How many senior administration officials were there at Calexico with the President and could have heard it? Answer - zero.

Then they paraphrase one of these senior administration officials and insert in in the article as quote - and then they say "it wasn't clear if the president was joking..." rather pregnant fact, that.

So, somebody who doesn't speak for the administration, and isn't really "senior" says they heard the president say something that might have been a joke. Nobody confirms it. Sarah Sanders and the President both deny it.

I do find it ironic that people get all "law and order" about this, but have no problem disregarding immigration laws as applied to people crossing the US border illegally.
You see, I asked you that question because IF a president acted in such a way it would be something worthy of condemnation, perhaps even a little OUTRAGE!?!! Seabass clearly seems a little OUTRAGED!?!! by the thought of it, while you seem a little OUTRAGED!?!! by the thought that anyone might be OUTRAGED!?!! by the thought of it. To be honest, it doesn't sound out of character for Mr Trump does it - or without precident even?
a lot of ifs - if it was actually said - if it was actually said exactly as reported - and, if it wasn't a joke (the article says "it wasn't clear that it was [or wasn't] a joke."

Is it really such a big deal, also, if the President said he would pardon someone for trying to enforce the immigration laws, but committing a violation in the process? I mean, other Presidents have pardoned unapologetic violent criminals - yet we don't normally hear much "outrage" over that. well, sometimes from political opponents. Bush pardoned so-and-so! Outrage! Obama pardoned so and so! Outrage! always by political opposition.

I am not at all outraged by the thought of it.

I am mainly concerned with the shoddy reporting, which was precisely in character, and in accordance with precedent. The article tells us, the readers, exactly nothing. Someone who we don't know said something against Trump that his opponents would find believable, but which we really have no evidence actually happened, and even if happened wasn't said in jest.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:14 pm

Do you actually have a principle here, on whether its a good thing for a president to tell someone who, ultimately, reports to that office that they can act outside of the law with impunity when implementing a policy, or is your idea of a principle something which is conditional on factors like who else did a bad thing once and got away with it?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:30 pm

The Trump support by Republicans is a no brainer. They are only concerned with budgets and taxes and their own re-election. Budgets they have no control over other than "shutting down" govt as a protest. But they do not even care about that now, last 2-3 years.

If Trump gets 43% he wins in 2020, if he gets 40% he loses. In either case the Republicans running get the same number of votes in their states. Better chance to win than without Trump.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:32 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:14 pm
Do you actually have a principle here, on whether its a good thing for a president to tell someone who, ultimately, reports to that office that they can act outside of the law with impunity when implementing a policy, or is your idea of a principle something which is conditional on factors like who else did a bad thing once and got away with it?
Sure, my principle is that the President's unlimited pardon authority is unwise to begin with.

I also said that if it's true, advance notice to someone that they are free to commit a crime and will be pardoned for it is inappropriate and wrong. You do recall I said that, right? If not - I'm saying it again now.

Do you actually have a principle here, on whether you believe an article based on unnamed, anonymous sources described only as "senior officials" reporting via "paraphrase" a (maybe or maybe not a joke) statement from President Trump actually was said? Or do you just believe whatever because, heck, it's "consistent" with what you already think of him?

At bottom, we don't know if he said "it." Also, we don't know what "it" was or what the context was. We have a second or perhaps third hand report that came from someone identified as "senior administration official." Have you asked yourself what "senior official" would report such a thing in the first place? Senior officials in the Trump administration want to disclose this kind of thing to a CNN reporter? Does that strike you as reasonable? Whoever reported this does not have Trump's best interest at heart.

Reporters can use "senior administration official" any way they want - it's potentially a bullshit term of obfuscation. However, generally it's supposed to mean an Assistant to the President, Deputy Assistant to the President, and Special Assistant to the President (all of these people are members of the Executive Office of the President), Vice President and Cabinet secretaries. So, I wonder how "senior" the official was? He didn't travel with a great entourage of "senior officials" with him. Fuck, the CNN article doesn't even make clear that the person who talked to the reporter directly was the "senior official" who actually heard the president say it - as far as can be gleaned from the article, it could be hearsay within hearsay, two or three people down the line. Shit reporting. Meaningless bullshit.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:48 pm

Tero wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:30 pm
The Trump support by Republicans is a no brainer.
except by the never Trumpers. They'd prefer to vote for Democrats.
Tero wrote:

They are only concerned with budgets and taxes
No! just concerned with budgets and taxes??? Those irresponsible bastids!
Tero wrote:

and their own re-election.
A politician concerned with reelection? Only Repubicans. Democrats are self-less, hard-toiling servants of the people always.
Tero wrote:

Budgets they have no control over other than "shutting down" govt as a protest.
When you can't get the 60 votes in the Senate, you can't pass the budget. So, it has a little something to do with the Senate Minority shutting things down. But, of course, Democrats only do that when appropriate, and in order to serve the public interest, never for the base political reasons that are the Republicans' sole motivation.
Tero wrote:

But they do not even care about that now, last 2-3 years.
Yeah, because we know the Democrats would get right on board with a federal budget that cuts spending. Had the GOP proposed that, we'd have had unanimous consent among Democrats, who loathe wasteful spending. Fuck, the Democrats didn't think the wasteful spending you're complaining about was ENOUGH. LOL.
Tero wrote:
If Trump gets 43% he wins in 2020, if he gets 40% he loses. In either case the Republicans running get the same number of votes in their states. Better chance to win than without Trump.
The bookies favor Trump's chances at reelection - https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/wash ... -2020-race and https://www.oddsshark.com/other/2020-us ... ds-futures

50% of likely voters approve of Trump's performance. http://m.rasmussenreports.com/public_co ... rack_apr15
How Trump is on track for a 2020 landslide
Economic models point to a Trump blowout in 2020. But a faltering economy or giant scandal could change everything.
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/03/ ... on-1230495

7 Signs Trump Will Landslide 2020 https://townhall.com/columnists/kevinmc ... 0-n2542498
The issue comes down to this:

With the President holding 90% of his base, and with his best approval ratings occurring in the 30 states he already won...

With Democrats holding Congress and the 13% approval rating that comes with it...

With Democrats watching 4-7 additional states beginning to slip through their fingers because of an improved economy, higher wages, better border security, and a long list of presidential promises kept...

With Democrats proposing ill-conceived non-solutions that show (according to analysts) only marginal climate alteration after they warn us that we will die in 12 years and a $93 trillion dollar price tag...

It appears (pretty convincingly) that President Trump will earn a second term.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:42 pm

Vote for Trump! Because he said Believe Me! Guaranteed land slide!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:46 pm

I trusted him to make a big mess, and I was not disappointed up to now.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:00 pm

Tero wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:42 pm
Vote for Trump! Because he said Believe Me! Guaranteed land slide!
Vote for Trump because he's keeping his promises, and doing a great job. The economy is humming, and he is doing what he said he would do.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:45 pm

Trump Voter Thinks Government Should Tweet To Her
https://karireport.blogspot.com/2019/04 ... hould.html

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:37 pm

Still your President, eh Tero?

Soon...right around 2024 you can be rid of him. Then President Omar will take over.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:05 pm

He is toxic enough to 2020.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:50 pm

Trump is spending tens of millions. And he is tweeting. The 2020 election could be won by any Democrat IF they started a tweeting NOW.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:49 pm

with twitter outing themselves as hilariously biased in one political direction, they might not be as successful at turning public opinion this go-round.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks
About me: I'm having trouble with the trolley.

Post by tattuchu » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:26 pm

for trump.jpg
People think "queue" is just "q" followed by 4 silent letters.

But those letters are not silent.

They're just waiting their turn.